Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 08:39 AM

572 posts, read 1,683,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post

Things that have made this work:
  1. Home Watch Service
  2. A couple immediate neighbors who we we are good friends with, who we trust and who have our contact information (and in one case, our keys)
  3. A landscaper who communicates with us (including billing) through email. I have a Rachio so I control the irrigation schedule remotely.
  4. A lot of security devices: Alarm system with remote interactive services and a boatload of sensors (every door and window including garage, plus motion detectors, including garage), Ring doorbell, Arlo cameras, Strikemaster door reinforcement, alarm and camera warning stickers. One Arlo looks down the side of the house where the A/C condensers and pool equipment are located. If I sprang a big leak at my equipment pad, I would be able to see it (might even trigger a motion alert if I were lucky). If someone sticks a flyer in the front door handle, I can see it and ask a neighbor to remove it.
  5. A house that is located and oriented such that it is not a good target for burglars
  6. A method for covering the pool so that it requires close to zero maintenance during our absences
  7. A lot of connected devices: thermostats, AC outlets, lighting, and recently, automation to connect them all together to make the home appear occupied. For example, motion on my Ring or Arlo triggers barking dog sounds and makes lights go on and off, after a delay. If I wanted, I could do things like have my Harmony remote turn on my TV and tune to different channels at different times of the day.
THIS is a lot of excellent information. We have had our 2nd home in Las Vegas for several years now, and just recently this last trip finally got WiFi installed. I will be doing several of these things in the next few months. Thankfully, we have an awesome neighbor who has keys and can go over right away to check in if something seems amiss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 08:48 AM

572 posts, read 1,683,806 times
We've had a second home in Las Vegas for almost 15 years now. I would strongly suggest going the Condo/HOA route vs. a standalone home. Our HOA is under $200 per month and covers any maintenance to the exterior, as well as original interior (water heater, HVAC, etc.) We've had to have several things replaced due to issues with the original builder, and thankfully they were covered. Unless you are looking for a property directly on the Strip, there are still several places with relatively reasonable HOA assessments. They're not without fault, however, so I would probably look into a Home Watch service as a backup, especially if you are going to be gone for extended periods of time.

We have never left our AC running while we aren't there - we're also on a first floor, with SW exposure. The most I've ever come into the apartment being was in the 80s; our unit cools off quickly. We usually will turn the water off at our washing machine, but will leave the rest as is, save for unplugging TVs and the toaster. Fridge stays on, ice maker off. Utilities are relatively inexpensive there in comparison to other cities, so even leaving them "running" it's less than $100 a month for everything. I plan on putting a Ring Doorbell in on my next visit.

Old 04-04-2019, 01:06 AM

67 posts, read 95,474 times
Default Leave a/c and heat on?

Sorry to bump an old thread. Just bought my first Vegas condo which I'll probably leave vacant for extended periods of time, summer (too hot) and winter (too cold). Serious question, why would you leave the a/c or heater on while vacant?

Old 04-04-2019, 06:03 AM

143 posts, read 98,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe weed View Post
Serious question, why would you leave the a/c or heater on while vacant?
Only reason I could think of for heat would be to prevent water pipes from freezing. Is that an actual problem in Las Vegas? I know it gets cold, but it doesn't seem to stay below freezing for long -- is it long enough to freeze water lines?

Another question I have regarding leaving an apartment unattended for months at a time: If the parking is exposed, i.e. not in a garage, how do you protect your car from (a) the buildup of sand/dirt and (b) vandals or thieves? And, whether garaged or exposed, how long does a car battery hold up, considering the extreme summer temperature? By any chance, is there a service you can pay to start your car periodically, say once or twice a month, and brush off the debris?

Old 04-04-2019, 07:25 AM

56 posts, read 84,428 times
We leave the heater on but set very low during the winter just in case there is a prolong freeze, I don't believe it has ever kick in. The a/c we set at 89 during the summer as too much heat can harm things as well and that has gone on during the summer months.
I'm sure if you use a service like JP's Home Watchers that he would monitor the car along with the home.
Michael

Old 04-04-2019, 10:25 AM

2,928 posts, read 3,549,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpcoe View Post
Only reason I could think of for heat would be to prevent water pipes from freezing. Is that an actual problem in Las Vegas? I know it gets cold, but it doesn't seem to stay below freezing for long -- is it long enough to freeze water lines?

Another question I have regarding leaving an apartment unattended for months at a time: If the parking is exposed, i.e. not in a garage, how do you protect your car from (a) the buildup of sand/dirt and (b) vandals or thieves? And, whether garaged or exposed, how long does a car battery hold up, considering the extreme summer temperature? By any chance, is there a service you can pay to start your car periodically, say once or twice a month, and brush off the debris?
Should not be necessary in a condo since you share walls with other residents and benefit from their own homes being heated.

You can also disconnect your car battery when you are on a trip, that will prevent the battery being drained. Best thing to do is get a unit with a garage or use a car cover.

Old 04-04-2019, 10:48 AM

1,607 posts, read 2,013,535 times
Quote:

Use a battery trickle charger to keep your battery charged while not driving it for extended periods.

Old 04-04-2019, 02:29 PM

67 posts, read 95,474 times
Another stupid question, the washer dryer and water heater are in 2 storage rooms out on the balcony. Are there things I shouldn't leave stored in there during summer/winter? Cleaners, chemicals, etc? Sorry, I'm from a tropical climate where we don't have these drastic temperature changes.

Old 04-04-2019, 02:33 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,623,074 times
A condo would be the logical way to go. Lock and leave is very appealing.

Old 04-04-2019, 04:13 PM

143 posts, read 98,204 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
Use a battery trickle charger to keep your battery charged while not driving it for extended periods.
It could be a bit of a hassle to remove the battery to bring it into the apartment, but it may be worth it, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: