Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2022, 12:30 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,595,092 times

Advertisements

Well to protect your property you should consider the following. A monitored alarm system with glass breakage sensors and door sensors and smoke sensor also you can get a gate sensor that tells you when the gate is opened too. Put dowels in all the windows then you don’t need sensors for them because of the glass breakage sensors. The total connect 2.0 service goes to your cell phone.

You can buy a basic Honeywell system from places like alarmgrid and can buy month to month service from them you can cancel anytime not like the places like adt which require 3 yr commitment. For $39 for a video camera harbor freight geenie look model no monthly fees just need internet. Place one inside home and one in window facing backyard and maybe front door. Also Home Depot has Honeywell water sensors for each bathroom kitchen and hot water heater. You won’t have a lot invested but ask anyone who has had a leak how much that cost them. Just an idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2022, 12:55 PM

One nice thing about the cheap harbor freight cameras they will send you a text if the power goes out. That will alert you that anything in your freezer is thawing out.

Old 10-22-2022, 01:58 PM

1,971 posts, read 848,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsk View Post
So my question is... Does anyone here own a 2nd home in a Vegas that they leave unoccupied for most of the year, and how exactly do you handle it? I suppose this might apply to anyone who owns a 2nd home in a totally different state as well. I don't mind paying the taxes and insurance, yada yada, but is actually keeping the home from falling apart while I'm away a real possibility or am I dreaming?
Had a place for a few years in a gated community. No problems at all, and I'd do it again if the opportunity came up.

Old 10-22-2022, 09:33 PM

8,022 posts, read 3,955,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVguy View Post
yeah in Vegas, and coming back mid January.

Leaving heater on at 55 to 60, what if 2,3 windows got broken and also some doors got open when temp is 35F, will the heater kept runing over and over and start a fire?!!
1. Get a security system that includes glass breakage monitors.
2. If a window were broken/doors open when the temperature is 35, the heater will continue to run. It will NOT start a fire.
3. Do not have your HOA security come check on your house. Sometimes, HOA security employees will alert their "friends" to a homeowner who is absent or on vacation so those "friends" can then break into your house. The same thing sometimes happens with the US Post Office. Ideally, have a friend or neighbor check on your house.

Old 10-23-2022, 03:06 PM

2,565 posts, read 2,749,934 times
Quote:
My house will be unoccupied for 55 days, my homeowners insurance says when it's over 30 days the glass breakage they won't cover, but things like fire and water damage from froze pipes will be covered which surprised me. (liberty mutual throught geico) But to reset the "30 days" I just need someone to check on it right? and I am good for another 30 days? and do they need to check inside of the house too? does insurance require that?

Leave heater on dont' turn it off? What temp should I set? ( or turn it off and open some windows?)

My HOA has security patrol, I wonder if I ask them to come on my property to check every 25 days or so, I wonder if they will do that?

For home watcher LV anyone know how much do they charge?
I am going to have to check on my Homeowners Insurance about this. I think there is also what they call Vacation Home insurance or something like that.

What do you mean they won't cover "glass breakage" if over 55 days? Do they mean if someone breaks in to the house they won't cover any damage or missing property?

Old 10-23-2022, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packrat1 View Post
Well to protect your property you should consider the following. A monitored alarm system with glass breakage sensors and door sensors and smoke sensor also you can get a gate sensor that tells you when the gate is opened too. Put dowels in all the windows then you don’t need sensors for them because of the glass breakage sensors. The total connect 2.0 service goes to your cell phone.

You can buy a basic Honeywell system from places like alarmgrid and can buy month to month service from them you can cancel anytime not like the places like adt which require 3 yr commitment. For $39 for a video camera harbor freight geenie look model no monthly fees just need internet. Place one inside home and one in window facing backyard and maybe front door. Also Home Depot has Honeywell water sensors for each bathroom kitchen and hot water heater. You won’t have a lot invested but ask anyone who has had a leak how much that cost them. Just an idea.
I like your idea. Honeywell has many alarm sets on Amazon. I'm not seeing any with cameras. Does the Honeywell work with any camera?

Old 10-25-2022, 04:29 AM

645 posts, read 709,834 times
So turn off the water supply to the house, set water heater to vacation or warm and don’t touch anything else on the heater. This is correct method right? and the house piping shouldn't freeze and burst if the temp got that cold since water supply is cut off? also the house piping is all in PVC they shouldn't burst right when freezing? on top of that I will leave the heater between 50 to 60F just in case. So that should plenty good!

However I just read my policy and it says "additional coverage" for water damage deductible 1,000, limit 10,000 USD. So it only covers up to 10k? is that enough or way too little. but more importantly, if I didn't get the "addition coverage" I guess the homeowner's insurance won't cover any water damage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
1. Get a security system that includes glass breakage monitors.
2. If a window were broken/doors open when the temperature is 35, the heater will continue to run. It will NOT start a fire.
3. Do not have your HOA security come check on your house. Sometimes, HOA security employees will alert their "friends" to a homeowner who is absent or on vacation so those "friends" can then break into your house. The same thing sometimes happens with the US Post Office. Ideally, have a friend or neighbor check on your house.

For 2. So if it's so cold in the house the heater will just keep running, a lot of bill but it won't start a fire? ok good to know, also furnace is old around 13 years old, might not be a good idea in that case but well, have to leave it at 55F or so.

For 3, that sounds horrible, it's like telling cops you will be out of the house and cops tell their "friends" and your house got burglarized. But in this case I will ask the HOA people to see if they can have HOA security patrol to come on my property to check, I hope what you mentioned won't happen since I go to a reliable source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
I am going to have to check on my Homeowners Insurance about this. I think there is also what they call Vacation Home insurance or something like that.

What do you mean they won't cover "glass breakage" if over 55 days? Do they mean if someone breaks in to the house they won't cover any damage or missing property?
It's in the policy where when the house is unoccupied for more than 30 days then if people break the glass then it's not covered. (glass only) For missing property or tv damage etc it's covered until up to 60 days (of unoccupancy)

Old 10-25-2022, 12:31 PM

Who is everyone using for Homeowner's Insurance for 2nd home? I am currently using Hippo insurance and they are trying to switch me over to Spinnaker Insurance. I am currently shopping around but the quotes that I am getting are almost twice the price.

Old 10-25-2022, 12:33 PM

Safeco was cheaper than State Farm by $300.

Old 10-25-2022, 04:09 PM

8,022 posts, read 3,955,154 times
Quote:
...So if it's so cold in the house the heater will just keep running, a lot of bill but it won't start a fire? ok good to know, also furnace is old around 13 years old, might not be a good idea in that case but well, have to leave it at 55F or so.
Consider upgrading your heater thermostat to a WiFi thermostat, and have WiFi coverage in your house. I do for my vacation house. I click on an app and it tells me the current indoor temperature & humidity, and let's me adjust the heat setting (or AC setting).

I have a Sensi by Emerson and it works well. NV Energy might give you a rebate of some of the cost. Installation is a DIY project.

https://www.amazon.com/Emerson-Therm...ef=sr_1_3_sspa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: