Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2024, 07:33 PM

29 posts, read 5,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aces777 View Post
I feel "stuck" in Henderson, NV right now because of my 3% interest rate that I got in 2009. Good place to be settled in, though, when you do consider the weather, tax breaks, and SUN. I would say the SUN is the main reason I likely won't leave Southern Nevada. Although, I do see myself living on the East Coast from Memorial Day to Thanksgiving. At least that is the plan.
Reno is one of the best cities in the United States. A top ten for me. Very patriotic culture. I would highly recommend it, and I almost moved there about five years ago. Sparks, NV is better than Reno, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2024, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
I'm not well off, and I don't want to live anywhere but Southern California.

I tickled the idea of moving to Las Vegas at one point while I was in my 30s, over 20 years ago, but subsequent visits since then have pretty much cemented my opposition to it at this point.

My wife and I are educators. The Clark County School District is terrible, and please don't bother trying to convince me otherwise. The pay is terrible, the benefits are terrible and the overall work environment is terrible unless you happen to have a connection to someone who can get you a district office job.

You're hours from anything! If you've done Mt. Charleston and Red Rock Canyon, done Lake Mead and Valley of Fire, done Zion and Bryce, there's nothing else. There are no beaches, no wineries, no mountain towns with lakes and forests. All of those things are 4-5 hours away! Where I am now, north of LA, I can get to anything I want in less than two hours.

The medical situation in Las Vegas (and most of Nevada, for that matter) is terrible. California, for all of its issues, at least invests in its health care system through research finding at the University of California campuses, the private university investments and through a joint private-public investment in health care funding and research!
Teaching in CCSD isn't that bad because you are not micro-managed in most schools. The key is finding a school that has the best culture for your personality. I have many friends that teach here and love it. They are generally very easy going and can communicate with the students well.

The pay for all teachers isn't that bad in Nevada, when you consider no state income tax. The recent changes, brought forth by the Teacher's Union, has been a big step in the right direction. These improvements will move the district forward, as they will attract better candidates.

Old 04-25-2024, 09:22 AM

8,987 posts, read 20,410,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
AGAIN - a LOT of us told you NOT to move here and you didn't listen. We knew you wouldn't like it here. And I don't think you'll like Reno/Tahoe either, as it's a rapidly growing area with lots of people moving in, traffic etc. Apparently you have the time and money to waste moving from one area to the next over and over and over...
How many times do I have to say this, not everyone listens 100% to what they are told. They have to visit and/or live in an area to know if they will like it or not. We have moved a number of times, but many people do that.

Old 04-25-2024, 09:27 AM

Well, I'm done with this thread. There are those that love Henderson/Vegas, just like there are those that love So California or California in general. Every state has their good and bad points.

My wife has family that live in Michigan and would never leave. And, there are those that would never move to Michigan, mainly due to winters.

Old 04-25-2024, 10:37 AM

1,258 posts, read 1,064,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post
Winters in Reno may not be nearly as cold in the future. It might be a great place for a while until everyone figures out it's the new best place.

https://www.2news.com/news/reno-is-t...b79e5fb18.html
That sort of already happened. Reno is twice as expensive as Las Vegas now.

Old 04-29-2024, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
AGAIN - a LOT of us told you NOT to move here and you didn't listen. We knew you wouldn't like it here. And I don't think you'll like Reno/Tahoe either, as it's a rapidly growing area with lots of people moving in, traffic etc. Apparently you have the time and money to waste moving from one area to the next over and over and over...

Good post here. I appreciate your candid response.

It is a waste of money to continually move, but people change and environments change.

I loved it, in Vegas, when I moved here in 2005. But, not only has the city changed so much, but I have changed. I don't value the same things I did back then. With maturity, I have come to appreciate nature over entertainment, and culture over weather. Things like that.

I don't think you can go wrong with living in Nevada, when you consider the weather and the tax structure. It is probably the best combination in the country, outside of Tennessee and Texas, maybe.

For me, the culture here is just not supportive of family values. Especially compared to places like Syracuse, NY or Columbus, Ohio. It is a culture of immature adults, in my opinion. Nothing wrong with that, if you are single. But, if you are looking to dig into a good relationship or get married, this is not the place. I guess that is where Vegas "jumped the shark" for me. I want to grow up and be around people that value nature, family and a less stressful lifestyle. I just haven't experienced too much of that here, and that I why I will likely be ready to sell my house and move on.

Old 04-29-2024, 09:18 AM

Vegas, and, I guess, the entire Vegas/Henderson valley, has changed considerably since June 2001 when wife I and first came to Vegas together for our Honeymoon trip and for a major rodeo at the MGM Gardens Arena. Actually, my first visit to Vegas, was around 1988. It was in December, during the National Finals Rodeo. Of course, "progress" always changes things.

But, in 2001, the Vegas area was much more calmer than it is today. Vegas wants to be, and very much is, one of the absolute top tourist areas of America. Most of the residents of Henderson/Vegas, and the entire metro areas, think that the entire area is the best place in America to live. IOW, Utopia!

I spoke to an older lady yesterday at a Khol's store and told her that we were going to move up north and she said "good for you" and smiled at me.

Seems like many cities, and even towns, today, are getting bigger and bigger. And, if there are numerous available jobs, the area is going to explode with people, just like Vegas has.

There are those, young and old/older, that still live in "winter" states, like Colorado, and would never think of moving to the Vegas area for better winters. IOW, we all have choices on, where and where not to, live.

Old 04-29-2024, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBoomers2 View Post
Vegas, and, I guess, the entire Vegas/Henderson valley, has changed considerably since June 2001 when wife I and first came to Vegas together for our Honeymoon trip and for a major rodeo at the MGM Gardens Arena. Actually, my first visit to Vegas, was around 1988. It was in December, during the National Finals Rodeo. Of course, "progress" always changes things.

But, in 2001, the Vegas area was much more calmer than it is today. Vegas wants to be, and very much is, one of the absolute top tourist areas of America. Most of the residents of Henderson/Vegas, and the entire metro areas, think that the entire area is the best place in America to live. IOW, Utopia!

I spoke to an older lady yesterday at a Khol's store and told her that we were going to move up north and she said "good for you" and smiled at me.

Seems like many cities, and even towns, today, are getting bigger and bigger. And, if there are numerous available jobs, the area is going to explode with people, just like Vegas has.

There are those, young and old/older, that still live in "winter" states, like Colorado, and would never think of moving to the Vegas area for better winters. IOW, we all have choices on, where and where not to, live.
Thanks for your post.

I first visited Vegas in the mid 1990s, and mostly stayed on the strip. There was a positive vibe back then, it was so much more exciting, and there was TONS of value. I remember going to see "Crazy Girls" on the strip, maybe at the Flamingo, for $12 dollars and that was with 2 free drinks. Buffets were so cheap as well, and the food was great.

Maybe the entire culture in the United States has just gone to crap, though. It might not be a "Vegas Jumped the Shark" issue, but a "United States Jumped the Shark" issue.

Old 04-29-2024, 10:34 AM

26,242 posts, read 49,140,136 times
My first trip was in the mid 1980s. Might have stayed at the Sahara ... might have see seen Crazy Girls, memories fade now . . . One thing I do recall was eating breakfast at a hotel buffet where I dished up a spoonful of gray-looking scrambled eggs from a hotel pan; afterward I was sure these must've been some sort of powdered egg product for mass feeding. Been back many times, never went to another buffet.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-29-2024, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aces777 View Post
Thanks for your post.

I first visited Vegas in the mid 1990s, and mostly stayed on the strip. There was a positive vibe back then, it was so much more exciting, and there was TONS of value. I remember going to see "Crazy Girls" on the strip, maybe at the Flamingo, for $12 dollars and that was with 2 free drinks. Buffets were so cheap as well, and the food was great.

Maybe the entire culture in the United States has just gone to crap, though. It might not be a "Vegas Jumped the Shark" issue, but a "United States Jumped the Shark" issue.
Last Sept., on Labor Day, we had a nice room at South Point for two nights, for total of $84 a night. And, that was on a holiday (Monday/Tuesday). When we stayed at the Mirage in Dec. 2021, for a Friday night thru Wednesday night, we paid more than that. Then again, the Strip hotels live off of weekend (Friday/Saturday/Sunday) visitors, much more than visitors during the week.

Vegas is becoming a "rich man's paradise" very fast. Then again, major theme parks across America have become exceedingly more and more expensive. It seems like only doctors, lawyers, engineers and others like them, are the only ones that can afford to "stay and play" in Vegas anymore. The average person just can't do it (I think).

We think about how much Vegas has changed from our first visit in June 2001, to now. Then there are families that pay big bucks to buy a home here and don't give it a thought. Summerlin is just like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas