Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2024, 01:15 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,064,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBoomers2 View Post

Vegas is becoming a "rich man's paradise" very fast. Then again, major theme parks across America have become exceedingly more and more expensive. It seems like only doctors, lawyers, engineers and others like them, are the only ones that can afford to "stay and play" in Vegas anymore. The average person just can't do it (I think).

We think about how much Vegas has changed from our first visit in June 2001, to now. Then there are families that pay big bucks to buy a home here and don't give it a thought. Summerlin is just like that.
It's only a "rich man's paradise" if you can afford to live in the type of place where you drive past two gates to get to your house, like Marky Mark or Miriam Adelson do. Outside of those gates, it's still Las Vegas with all of it's unique issues (homelessness, low budget motels, panhandling, graffiti, trash and litter, bad schools, poor health care, dilapidated strip malls, liquor stores, pawn shops, check cashing shops, a plethora of attorney billboards).

I think, to an extent, Las Vegas will always be like this. Over the years, it has become less middle class and more of a two-tiered town with a small elite and a large underclass beneath it.

In the 1990s, Reno changed and lost a lot of its gaming. In the 2000s, Reno decided to reinvent itself as a college town, a destination for nature seekers (the Sierras, Lake Tahoe) and a tech hub. Reno, in a sense, is trying to become Nevada's version of Boulder, Colorado.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2024, 01:39 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,022,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
... it's still Las Vegas with all of it's unique issues (homelessness, low budget motels, panhandling, graffiti, trash and litter, bad schools, poor health care, dilapidated strip malls, liquor stores, pawn shops, check cashing shops, a plethora of attorney billboards).
I don't disagree with the above, but most large cities deal with MOST (not all) of those issues? Los Angeles area definitely has some of those issues. Homeless encampments with million-dollar views ON the beach for one and very wealthy people rightly complaining about it.

Old 04-30-2024, 01:41 PM

1,237 posts, read 553,380 times
I haven't been to Vegas since the early 80's and it was too much for me at that time. Have no desire to ever go back. Hated everything about it and then some.

Old 04-30-2024, 04:40 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,064,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
I haven't been to Vegas since the early 80's and it was too much for me at that time. Have no desire to ever go back. Hated everything about it and then some.
It's a shame you never went back after that. It had a really good run from about 1992 -- 2006. As for the future? I don't know. I want to say that it gets better with new development, but it seems like there's too much greed and everyone always seems to have their hand in the pot. Greed is what built the town, after all.

Old 05-01-2024, 04:25 AM

29 posts, read 5,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
I hate it too, but managed to stay for 15 of the last 20 years )).

I think the sun hypnotized me or something. Or the no state income taxes. Or the low property taxes. Or the sunsets and sunrises that are just out of this world, compared to the East Coast and even Southern California. The jobs for me have dried up the past few years out here, but that probably has to do with the business world waiting for the current dolt administration to move on or for the election to end. Things will pick up in Jan 2025. Regardless, there is something about the transient nature of this town that irks me. If you don't have family here, you are in a rough situation in Vegas, because it is not a warm and fuzzy place.

Old 05-02-2024, 01:25 PM

8,987 posts, read 20,410,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aces777 View Post
I hate it too, but managed to stay for 15 of the last 20 years )).

I think the sun hypnotized me or something. Or the no state income taxes. Or the low property taxes. Or the sunsets and sunrises that are just out of this world, compared to the East Coast and even Southern California. The jobs for me have dried up the past few years out here, but that probably has to do with the business world waiting for the current dolt administration to move on or for the election to end. Things will pick up in Jan 2025. Regardless, there is something about the transient nature of this town that irks me. If you don't have family here, you are in a rough situation in Vegas, because it is not a warm and fuzzy place.
(Above in red): Completely understand this!

Old 05-04-2024, 10:37 PM

266 posts, read 605,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aces777 View Post
If you don't have family here, you are in a rough situation in Vegas, because it is not a warm and fuzzy place.
I've been here 28 years now. No family. Been married and divorced in that time. My one best friend moved out 10 years ago. Most of my other friends have passed away, and all of my pets have passed as well...but somehow the desert keeps me here. The world, not just Vegas, is not a warm and fuzzy place..but I still enjoy my desert hikes with myself

Old 05-05-2024, 09:35 AM

8,987 posts, read 20,410,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpa2d2 View Post
I've been here 28 years now. No family. Been married and divorced in that time. My one best friend moved out 10 years ago. Most of my other friends have passed away, and all of my pets have passed as well...but somehow the desert keeps me here. The world, not just Vegas, is not a warm and fuzzy place..but I still enjoy my desert hikes with myself
There are those that love living in the desert and many-to-most who live in the Henderson/Vegas metro areas love it. We have simply found out that there are too many things we don't like about living in the desert and/or living in the Henderson/Vegas area. Neither of us have ever lived in the desert and now we know why. We have found out just how much we miss 4-seasons, including winter/snow, and have kept all of our winter clothes we had in northern Colorado.

We like doing things outside during the summer months, but, for our age bracket (mid 70's), it isn't advisable (health wise) for us to do that here due to the heat. IOW, we like seeing the glistening of snow falling and that sure isn't here.

The entire Henderson/Vegas metro areas are getting bigger and bigger, with more and more folks moving in. People "moving in" and "progress" is/can be a good thing, but definitely not for us. The Reno area is big, but nothing compared to Henderson/Vegas.

Old 05-08-2024, 04:51 PM

266 posts, read 605,125 times
Quote:
We have found out just how much we miss 4-seasons, including winter/snow, and have kept all of our winter clothes we had in northern Colorado.
I spend half of my time in Colorado. I care for my elderly mother every 3 months there. I used to like the snow, but the older I get, I find I prefer to do without it. I like to keep my cars clean And I can also do without the hail damage from time to time. I guess every place has its good and bad.

Old 05-08-2024, 09:50 PM

1,485 posts, read 1,442,055 times
Quote:
There are those that love living in the desert and many-to-most who live in the Henderson/Vegas metro areas love it. We have simply found out that there are too many things we don't like about living in the desert and/or living in the Henderson/Vegas area. Neither of us have ever lived in the desert and now we know why. We have found out just how much we miss 4-seasons, including winter/snow, and have kept all of our winter clothes we had in northern Colorado.

We like doing things outside during the summer months, but, for our age bracket (mid 70's), it isn't advisable (health wise) for us to do that here due to the heat. IOW, we like seeing the glistening of snow falling and that sure isn't here.

The entire Henderson/Vegas metro areas are getting bigger and bigger, with more and more folks moving in. People "moving in" and "progress" is/can be a good thing, but definitely not for us. The Reno area is big, but nothing compared to Henderson/Vegas.
I just finished helping my 90 year old parents with their income taxes in VA...about 5000 for the year. Suddenly, the snazzy condo I showed them in Morgantown WV last December for 178k seems like it would have been a smart move..like getting free hoa, property taxes, and electric. How much did you folks save vs CO on state income taxes (apologies if too personal)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas