Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 02:08 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,939,614 times

Advertisements

Now for the German-American guy.....okay....what about when there IS a conflict. FOr example Mexican AMericans and HIspanics...many are more loyal to their race and old countries than the U.S. Why else would they support illegla immigration if not because it benefits Mexico and other Latin American countries.

And what about Iranians, Iraqis, Pakistanis, Lebanese, Egyptians, Koreans and Cubans with divided loyalties. Their loyal to their old country can motivate them to commit terrorism against the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 02:20 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,436,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
Now for the German-American guy.....okay....what about when there IS a conflict. FOr example Mexican AMericans and HIspanics...many are more loyal to their race and old countries than the U.S. Why else would they support illegla immigration if not because it benefits Mexico and other Latin American countries.

And what about Iranians, Iraqis, Pakistanis, Lebanese, Egyptians, Koreans and Cubans with divided loyalties. Their loyal to their old country can motivate them to commit terrorism against the United States.

I can understand, and see it from BOTH sides.
That's why I posted in my previous posted statement, that it could swing both ways....honest use, and dishonest use.
My son and myself are just using the advantage, what is provided and given to us, by BOTH the USA and GERMANY. And, we are not, no ever have, done anything illegal, so, why shouldn't we ????
Sorry, hon, but I am not making the law, and I have NO answer (a logical one) to your question.
Don't you think, that's why there maybe SHOULD be a change in the US immigration laws????
WAY to many flaws for abuse........

Old 06-22-2007, 03:05 PM

398 posts, read 1,410,102 times
Certainly some sort of reform should be done. It is a complex issue. Remember, everything that was created in the past under good faith and trust, is being abused by the modern pirates/mercenaires invading the last prsper lands around the globe. Before, when an American citizen had dual citizenship, it was in honor to his ancestry, values. Today, immigrants demand dual citizenship because their loyalty is completely to the country they left; America for them, is just the hunting field. I'd say immigrants who come here for political reasons/ terrorism/ narco-terrorism/ corruption/ poverty should not be allowed to have dual citizenship.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:53 PM

646 posts, read 1,788,378 times
I'm a dual citizen, and I'm definitely all for it. I know there have been some bills submitted to not permit US citizens to hold multiple citizenships, but fortunately that is not something that is likely to pass. Sweden, where I grew up, didn't allow dual citizenship until around 2001, so people who decided to become citizens in another country had to relinquish their Swedish citizenship. However, with many Swedes living abroad, many people expressed their opinion that they wanted the law to allow dual citizenship, so eventually it was changed. With the US having the policy of not caring if a person has another citizenship except for a few national security concerns, anybody can become a US citizen and keep their old citizenship as long as that country also permits dual citizenship. Many countries such as India still don't permit dual citizenships, so it's a two-way street.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:09 PM
MB2

Exclamation Germany changed the law just like Sweden.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholmaren View Post
I'm a dual citizen, and I'm definitely all for it. I know there have been some bills submitted to not permit US citizens to hold multiple citizenships, but fortunately that is not something that is likely to pass. Sweden, where I grew up, didn't allow dual citizenship until around 2001, so people who decided to become citizens in another country had to relinquish their Swedish citizenship. However, with many Swedes living abroad, many people expressed their opinion that they wanted the law to allow dual citizenship, so eventually it was changed. With the US having the policy of not caring if a person has another citizenship except for a few national security concerns, anybody can become a US citizen and keep their old citizenship as long as that country also permits dual citizenship. Many countries such as India still don't permit dual citizenships, so it's a two-way street.
That's the case just like in Germany
It's a fairly new law, and it was the same, that one had to relinquish their German Citizenship, when obtaining the US (or any other one for that matter) citizenship.
I am going to apply this year for my dual citizenship, and have to get in touch with my Government first....it will take a LOT of steps, paperwork and it will cost me an arm and a leg.
But, THAT'S the GOOD thing about it!!!
Anyway, I think I should have the opportunity to obtain a dual citizenship for a number of reasons.
I have been here, legally, and paid taxes since I stepped onto US soil!
My son has already his dual citizenship, which he obtained at birth.
I am married to a US citizen.
We are living here in the US, have our life build here, and everything what comes with it.
But, ALL my family is still in Germany.
I still have property, accounts, and VERY strong ties to Germany.
Travel there just about every year (Except for this one, because I moved, and I'm still in the moving process...huh )
I am loyal to both countries, fluent in both languages, know more about the history from both countries then some people born here, and if you would actually talk to me, you would NEVER, EVER guess I am a foreigner!!! (And, I am NOT kidding either!!!)
So, all in all, I am a proud , legal, loyal and a PRODUCTIVE addition, to this country
Aren't you guys HAPPY I'm here...he he..<group hug>

Old 06-23-2007, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingBack2PA View Post
That's the case just like in Germany
It's a fairly new law, and it was the same, that one had to relinquish their German Citizenship, when obtaining the US (or any other one for that matter) citizenship.
I am going to apply this year for my dual citizenship, and have to get in touch with my Government first....it will take a LOT of steps, paperwork and it will cost me an arm and a leg.
But, THAT'S the GOOD thing about it!!!
Anyway, I think I should have the opportunity to obtain a dual citizenship for a number of reasons.
I have been here, legally, and paid taxes since I stepped onto US soil!
My son has already his dual citizenship, which he obtained at birth.
I am married to a US citizen.
We are living here in the US, have our life build here, and everything what comes with it.
But, ALL my family is still in Germany.
I still have property, accounts, and VERY strong ties to Germany.
Travel there just about every year (Except for this one, because I moved, and I'm still in the moving process...huh )
I am loyal to both countries, fluent in both languages, know more about the history from both countries then some people born here, and if you would actually talk to me, you would NEVER, EVER guess I am a foreigner!!! (And, I am NOT kidding either!!!)
So, all in all, I am a proud , legal, loyal and a PRODUCTIVE addition, to this country
Aren't you guys HAPPY I'm here...he he..<group hug>
Germany requires you to check in with them to obtain another citizenship? I hope it won't be too bad for you with all of the paperwork. I found the application and process to become a US citizen relatively easy, and for me it didn't cost anything either since I've served in the US Armed Forces for the last six years.
Just like you said, with having roots and ties in both countries, dual citizenship makes perfect sense.

Old 06-23-2007, 04:58 PM
MB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholmaren View Post
Germany requires you to check in with them to obtain another citizenship? I hope it won't be too bad for you with all of the paperwork. I found the application and process to become a US citizen relatively easy, and for me it didn't cost anything either since I've served in the US Armed Forces for the last six years.
Just like you said, with having roots and ties in both countries, dual citizenship makes perfect sense.
Yes....and here's how it goes.
In order to keep the German Citizenship, I have to get in touch with Berlin first, requesting the paperwork. Which, then will be send to me here in the US.
They will ask questions to see on WHY I should be allowed to KEEP my German citizenship. (In my case....well....it's part of my life, having ALL Family and tie in Germany, and fee like the "other half" of my life is still over there.) Several years ago, when I came across the new ruling and law, it came with an estimated cost of about $600 or so.
The thing is, once I send back the paperwork to Berlin, it will be up to the German Government to make the "yay" or "nay" decision. (No clue, if I get my money back???? )
If it is, indeed, a big, fat "YES", I will go on and take the dance here in the USA, getting everything in order about becoming a US citizen.
And if it is a bif, fat "NO".......well, I guess I will stay German citizen forever, and just a legal immigrant here in the USA.
But, you know what?
At least I am going trought he whole process the legal way, WHILE working and paying taxes here in the US *smirk*

Old 06-23-2007, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingBack2PA View Post
Yes....and here's how it goes.
In order to keep the German Citizenship, I have to get in touch with Berlin first, requesting the paperwork. Which, then will be send to me here in the US.
They will ask questions to see on WHY I should be allowed to KEEP my German citizenship. (In my case....well....it's part of my life, having ALL Family and tie in Germany, and fee like the "other half" of my life is still over there.) Several years ago, when I came across the new ruling and law, it came with an estimated cost of about $600 or so.
The thing is, once I send back the paperwork to Berlin, it will be up to the German Government to make the "yay" or "nay" decision. (No clue, if I get my money back???? )
If it is, indeed, a big, fat "YES", I will go on and take the dance here in the USA, getting everything in order about becoming a US citizen.
And if it is a bif, fat "NO".......well, I guess I will stay German citizen forever, and just a legal immigrant here in the USA.
But, you know what?
At least I am going trought he whole process the legal way, WHILE working and paying taxes here in the US *smirk*
Yikes, sounds like a pretty strict process. It's not like they allow anyone to just go ahead and get dual citizenship, they have to give the ok first. I'm glad that I didn't have to go through that process and ask the Swedish government if it was ok to pursue a second citizenship - they won't really even know until I have to renew my passport next year.
Good luck with the paperwork, and I keep my fingers crossed for that big fat YES!

Old 01-18-2008, 07:00 AM

4 posts, read 12,156 times
Default I am a US soldier and am definitely loyal to the US but...

I am a US soldier in the reserves. I went to school at a university in Philadelphia. Following school i got a great job working for a financial inst. I me my girlfriend in the states as she was studying abroad. When she returned back to Germany we tried to do the long distance thing but didnt work. I just moved to Germany to give love a shot. I am also applying for my student visa so i can further my education as well at an International school here in Germany. Let's say we did get married while i was in Germany...Does this mean i then have dual citizenship? If so, i think in conditions like mine and similar dual citizenships are more than ok. Dual citizenship does not equal a loss in loyalty. I have fought for this country twice and consider myself a front line loyalist with an craving for new experiences and exploration of life. The word "loyal" should not restrict ones freedom.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:03 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,344,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chele123 View Post
I am American, born of American (military) parents in Scotland. When I applied for a Social Security card I had to reliquish my dual citizenship.
Yes, we don't recognize dual citizenship in America. Other countries may recognize it, so when someone goes to THAT country, they are recognized as "dual citizens". But, not here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration