Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 07:03 AM

902 posts, read 718,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chele123 View Post
I am American, born of American (military) parents in Scotland. When I applied for a Social Security card I had to reliquish my dual citizenship.
That was the way we used to do things. But these days, anyone and everyone are allowed dual citizenships and I am sorry to those in here who have that, I don't trust anyone who carries dual citizenships to be totally loyal to our country, especially the ones from certain countries, of which I won't mention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 07:12 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,344,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark-Baby View Post
That was the way we used to do things. But these days, anyone and everyone are allowed dual citizenships and I am sorry to those in here who have that, I don't trust anyone who carries dual citizenships to be totally loyal to our country, especially the ones from certain countries, of which I won't mention.
America "allows" dual citizenship, so to speak (we don't ask), but it does not "recognize" dual citizenship when the person is here. They are considered an American when living here. It's very much frowned upon by our government, and if you take the oath to be loyal to America, we don't want you to be also "loyal" to another country.

It's allowed, but not recognized. So, on the American side of it, we don't consider them dual citizens. In the other countries, maybe they do.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
America "allows" dual citizenship, so to speak (we don't ask), but it does not "recognize" dual citizenship when the person is here. They are considered an American when living here. It's very much frowned upon by our government, and if you take the oath to be loyal to America, we don't want you to be also "loyal" to another country.

It's allowed, but not recognized. So, on the American side of it, we don't consider them dual citizens. In the other countries, maybe they do.
It really does not matter if they are recognized or not because the facts are that since they have dual citizenships, how in the hell would we know where they are going to stand if we went to war with their home country of which they carry said other citizenship? I know for a fact that most of these new illegals and bunch from SOB would not stand on our side and would be more than willing to kill our citizens to better themselves and the Mexicans of that bunch are loyal to Mexico and not our country.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:24 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,759,196 times
I'm working on emigrating to Australia. I will have dual citizenship when it's all said and done. Why? Because while I love my country I can't stand what a mess the government has made of it. I love Australia too, and can't imagine any other place I'd rather live if I'm not living in the USA.

I love them both, and I will be citizens of both. I see no conflict of interest in that.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:40 AM

2,433 posts, read 6,679,904 times
At the very least, when someone immigrates to the United States and becomes an American ctizen, that person should be required to renounce his past citizenship.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:53 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,344,103 times
Quote:
It really does not matter if they are recognized or not because the facts are that since they have dual citizenships, how in the hell would we know where they are going to stand if we went to war with their home country of which they carry said other citizenship? I know for a fact that most of these new illegals and bunch from SOB would not stand on our side and would be more than willing to kill our citizens to better themselves and the Mexicans of that bunch are loyal to Mexico and not our country.
We are not necessarily going to know if they are dual citizens because we assume they are not (when they take the oath). If they are, and that comes out at some point, yes, they could choose to be loyal to their "old" country.

Mexico wants to send their illegals up here, and wants us to make them legal, and become dual citizens. But, we ain't buying. They obviously would not be loyal to the U.S., and Lord knows WHY our government wants to make them legal!!

Old 01-18-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
I'm working on emigrating to Australia. I will have dual citizenship when it's all said and done. Why? Because while I love my country I can't stand what a mess the government has made of it. I love Australia too, and can't imagine any other place I'd rather live if I'm not living in the USA.

I love them both, and I will be citizens of both. I see no conflict of interest in that.
If some strange thing happened and we went to war with Australia, whose side would you be on?

Old 01-18-2008, 03:08 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,759,196 times
Quote:
If some strange thing happened and we went to war with Australia, whose side would you be on?
Whichever side was in the right, of course.

I consider myself a patriot, and as such I have the duty to stand up and say when I think my government is doing wrong.

My current government is doing grave wrongs, in many places.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Whichever side was in the right, of course.

I consider myself a patriot, and as such I have the duty to stand up and say when I think my government is doing wrong.

My current government is doing grave wrongs, in many places.
Our government has been doing wrong for many decades now. They will continue to do so unless the people stand up and take their country back.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:07 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholmaren View Post
I'm a dual citizen, and I'm definitely all for it. I know there have been some bills submitted to not permit US citizens to hold multiple citizenships, but fortunately that is not something that is likely to pass. Sweden, where I grew up, didn't allow dual citizenship until around 2001, so people who decided to become citizens in another country had to relinquish their Swedish citizenship. However, with many Swedes living abroad, many people expressed their opinion that they wanted the law to allow dual citizenship, so eventually it was changed. With the US having the policy of not caring if a person has another citizenship except for a few national security concerns, anybody can become a US citizen and keep their old citizenship as long as that country also permits dual citizenship. Many countries such as India still don't permit dual citizenships, so it's a two-way street.
Most dual-citizens are just opportunists. They'll take what they can take from both countries.

People from Greece told me they are careful not to have dual-citizenship because it passes down to their children who can then be obligated to give military service and can be drafted even just visiting.

When military service or paying taxes or having some other kind of responsibility to that country are part of the deal -- it's interesting how quickly the "dual-patriotism" is dropped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration