Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 06:40 PM

578 posts, read 458,461 times

Advertisements

I'm all for immigrants coming to our country and having a better life but BOTH immigrants legal or illegal should be REQUIRED to take english classes(their plenty of people who can volunteer). This is getting out of hand, i can't even communicate with them and they expect me to what speak spanish?or what ever language?

This is america it's a majority english speaking country if i went to japan i would learn japanese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 07:01 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,231,185 times
I'm an ESL instructor (all my students are pre-citizenship) and they generally do try hard. It's difficult to learn as an adult (try it, I did at 26) and low pronunciation is often misunderstood as "not trying". Give them the benefit of the doubt.

Old 11-01-2016, 01:07 AM

578 posts, read 458,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
I'm an ESL instructor (all my students are pre-citizenship) and they generally do try hard. It's difficult to learn as an adult (try it, I did at 26) and low pronunciation is often misunderstood as "not trying". Give them the benefit of the doubt.
I once visited china couple years ago and with technology and google i attempted to learn chinese what is their a excuse? And why do they want us americans to learn their language?

Old 11-01-2016, 06:00 AM

24,513 posts, read 10,836,221 times
Did you read your first post?

Old 11-01-2016, 11:13 AM

52 posts, read 57,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyronejacobs0 View Post
I'm all for immigrants coming to our country and having a better life but BOTH immigrants legal or illegal should be REQUIRED to take english classes(their plenty of people who can volunteer). This is getting out of hand, i can't even communicate with them and they expect me to what speak spanish?or what ever language?

This is america it's a majority english speaking country if i went to japan i would learn japanese.
I agree and I am Latina myself...the Hispanics seem to be catered to in which I am not in favor of..i was born here I don't relate to them so in my opinion I wish they would stop so many from coming here attempting to take over ...disagree if you want but that is exactly what they are doing

Old 11-01-2016, 12:49 PM

398 posts, read 984,219 times
Quote:

Oh, the irony!

English, there are, Spanish, whatever, Japanese.

BTW, you're right. It's a majority English speaking country that was built by immigrants. You couldn't write 3 sentences together with proper punctuation, grammar or spelling and you expect what of those whose first language isn't English?

Old 11-01-2016, 03:00 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,384,679 times
Quote:
I once visited china couple years ago and with technology and google i attempted to learn chinese what is their a excuse? And why do they want us americans to learn their language?
Your English grammar makes me cringe.

Normally I don't like grammar police--->but since you are complaining about Immigrants learning English, you might want to brush up on your English grammar.

Old 11-01-2016, 03:07 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,974,757 times
I know that often if one family member learns English (like the man so he can work) and the kids will eventually (because they go to school), there are often other family members who don't and never will - and they are somewhat handicapped because they are stuck relying on the English speaking members of their family in order to do a lot out in the community if it is mainly English speaking. That may be understandable if those family members are all elderly but it is not so good if it happens to be, as it often is, the mother. I don't think that is good for them any more than it is for us.

And then there is the fact that when it comes to government agencies, schools, hospitals and courts, etc., we are now having to 'translate' into or out of close to 100 languages I have heard - the costs are staggering for everyone - and we still can't really 'communicate'. It has gone beyond reasonable and manageable.

Not everyone who comes to the States just speaks generic Spanish either for instance. The other day I read a story about someone from somewhere in Latin America I think who only speaks some rare dialect and he claimed that the translator given him was not good enough for him to completely understand the nuances of whatever system (probably court) that he was trying to navigate. He demanded that the government supply him with someone who spoke his language the way he spoke it .. but we don't always have those experts on hand and if we did, they are likely to cost more than the average translator too because there is so little business for them.

I believe the government needs to ask the American people (after giving them complete and accurate information about the costs to society - different types of costs, not all financial) if they want to finally declare one or two OFFICIAL languages and ask immigrants to change rather than us having to cater to EVERYONE in the language of THEIR choosing forever. We will supply them with help to do so but there should be a time limit and definite requirement for them to get to an acceptable level of fluency in at least one of the 'official languages'. Catering to the immigrant this much is beyond sanity right now. With the language barriers people don't even attempt to assimilate - they congregate in tiny groups and keep their own countries alive within the boundaries of another country. They may 'contribute' to some extent but not as much as they are 'taking' from the country as a whole. There is certainly no problem with retaining some of their own culture (that enriches us all and they are free to speak whatever language they desire outside of the mainstream areas) but they will never 'feel American' if they cannot speak the common language to create common bonds as well, and we may grow to really resent them over time if we cannot communicate with them either, which I think is too bad.

I agree .. if I go to another country where their language and customs are different, I respect those things and do my best to 'fit in' rather than demand they make my world the same as where I came from. We need to have 'some pride' and 'some identity' or we are lost as a country and can no longer maintain 'sovereignty' in my opinion.

Last edited by Aery11; 11-01-2016 at 03:22 PM..

Old 11-01-2016, 04:29 PM

19,122 posts, read 25,320,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Your English grammar makes me cringe.
Normally I don't like grammar police--->but since you are complaining about Immigrants learning English, you might want to brush up on your English grammar.

+100!

I'm sure that the OP is not aware of how badly-compromised his/her English proficiency actually is, but before he/she dares to question the linguistic skills of immigrants, he/she would be well-advised to pursue a course in Adult Literacy. Trust me, OP, you have a LOT to learn about the proper use of your native language.

The irony of the OP's post is nothing short of...amazing.

Old 11-01-2016, 05:32 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,249,013 times
If we hurry, we English bigots have a chance to get English codified into our laws, to make it our official national language. But we have to hurry, before we English speakers become a minority. If we hurry enough, we might even be able to prohibit doing government business in any language other than English. That would really mess with a lot of immigrants, but would give them an even stronger motive than before, to learn English as fluently as possible as quickly as possible. But let's be at least a little civilized about it, and not enforce it with bullwhips or anything like that.

Reason in itself confounded
Saw division grow together
To themselves yet either neither
Simple were so well compounded
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration