Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 01:32 PM

31 posts, read 27,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Here's my question: why would you even bother? You have the foundations of a very solid career in one of the most developed nations in the world, but are considering plunging yourself into hardship just to move to the States? How well have you thought this through?There's no such rule. You can make the right moves and potentially arrive in the U.S. with a job offer in hand, but at the same time you could be here for a year, burn through your savings (assuming you have enough - I'd figure at least $3K/month saved up to not be completely miserable) and come back home with an empty bank account and no old job to which to go back.

Would it be possible for you to find work in a multi-national corporation in Germany that also has a U.S. presence? That may open up international assignment opportunities.

I'm not trying to be negative - in fact, after having lived in the U.S. for twenty-one years, I've been keeping an eye out for expat opportunities myself, but have found those which would allow me to maintain my present quality of life few and far between. Even though with a GC you will not need work sponsorship (and, as such, will not have the burden of proving that you can do a job better than any American), you are still going to be at a disadvantage due to a lack of verifiable job history.

Another alternative you might consider is a Master's Degree program in a discipline in which you're interested. An MBA program, assuming you were able to afford it or get a scholarship (hard to do) would put you on the road to employment in the U.S. a lot better than what you're currently trying to do.

There are just certain things i miss in Germany that I used to have in the staates (way of life, mentality certain cultural diversity, not typical German problems etc. )

I dont have that much things down here that I would have to leave behind me, because a lot is just provisory for me right now. Right now I have to decide where to go ahead exmpl. look for a job down here or to go to the staates.

Really though decision especially because of the winning of the GC. I know of course the american hardships that western central europeans dont have to go trough. I cant count on another chance to become an expat that soon again, of course this is the most convinient way to go abroad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 01:55 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,159,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLD102 View Post
There are just certain things i miss in Germany that I used to have in the staates (way of life, mentality certain cultural diversity, not typical German problems etc. )

I dont have that much things down here that I would have to leave behind me, because a lot is just provisory for me right now. Right now I have to decide where to go ahead exmpl. look for a job down here or to go to the staates.

Really though decision especially because of the winning of the GC. I know of course the american hardships that western central europeans dont have to go trough. I cant count on another chance to become an expat that soon again, of course this is the most convinient way to go abroad.
So, two things I can observe from this response and the rest of the thread. Please don't take them as insults, but they are uncomfortable truths that need to be pointed out:

1. Your written English is not good enough for an office job (or any professional job in the U.S. where written communication, i.e. e-mail is the way of life). It's not a dream-killer, but you might want to expand that side of your education.

2. You really have no clue as to what you're trying to do or where you're trying to go. That's also not a horrible thing, either, as your being here and asking questions is a step in the right direction. However, I would absolutely discourage you from hopping on a plane without a plan. Living in the U.S. temporarily (by the way: where did you live?) and traveling across the country, even extensively, is still very different from having a full-time go of it when routine takes over. Living in L.A. is going to be different from living in Charlottesville or Detroit. Do you have a preference when it comes to climate, urban/rural environment, diversity, etc? It's not just about the job, believe me.

I'll give you an example. If I moved to Germany right now and got stuck in, let's say, Pulheim, I'd be miserable, even though it's close to a major city with an automotive manufacturer (which I currently work for and would hope to do likewise if I ever moved). The majority of your time is going to be spent at home, at work or commuting. I'm not so sure absolutely any location in the U.S. is going to make you happy just because it's the U.S. and not Germany. I'd figure out at least your approximate geography of choice first.

Can you make a living with your current background and skills? As German education is on par or better than American, I am fully confident that you can. Can you actually get that job fresh off the plane? I'm not so sure. You need something to bridge the gap - this is why I suggested a Master's program or a multi-national corporation with which you could start at home.

Be more specific than you were in the first sentence of the response I quoted with what you want. "A non-German way of life" and even "cultural diversity" is way too generic. This way we are going to be a lot better equipped to offer advice that is relevant to your specific situation.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:12 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
So, two things I can observe from this response and the rest of the thread. Please don't take them as insults, but they are uncomfortable truths that need to be pointed out:

1. Your written English is not good enough for an office job (or any professional job in the U.S. where written communication, i.e. e-mail is the way of life). It's not a dream-killer, but you might want to expand that side of your education.

His written English is better than most Americans, let's be real. I got an associate degree and bachelors degree in legal studies with my broken English. And just finished up my masters in HR, all while working full time.

I moved to the US from Germany at the age of 29 with limited English skills and started working as an office assistant in an office that published a lot of my created announcements and ads. At that time I was i the US for 4 months.

However, if I wouldn't have had my American military husband, I would have had to use up all my savings until I find a job to make a living.

I applied day and night and since I had no American job history nor American degree (my German paralegal degree and office background was irrelevant) it took me several crappy paid jobs to find one that pays okay.

With patience, effort, ambition and a little bit of luck you can make it further than a natural born American.

However, I would advise you to bring over at least $40k as a cushion.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:

2. You really have no clue as to what you're trying to do or where you're trying to go. That's also not a horrible thing, either, as your being here and asking questions is a step in the right direction. However, I would absolutely discourage you from hopping on a plane without a plan. Living in the U.S. temporarily (by the way: where did you live?) and traveling across the country, even extensively, is still very different from having a full-time go of it when routine takes over. Living in L.A. is going to be different from living in Charlottesville or Detroit. Do you have a preference when it comes to climate, urban/rural environment, diversity, etc? It's not just about the job, believe me.

I'll give you an example. If I moved to Germany right now and got stuck in, let's say, Pulheim, I'd be miserable, even though it's close to a major city with an automotive manufacturer (which I currently work for and would hope to do likewise if I ever moved). The majority of your time is going to be spent at home, at work or commuting. I'm not so sure absolutely any location in the U.S. is going to make you happy just because it's the U.S. and not Germany. I'd figure out at least your approximate geography of choice first.

Can you make a living with your current background and skills? As German education is on par or better than American, I am fully confident that you can. Can you actually get that job fresh off the plane? I'm not so sure. You need something to bridge the gap - this is why I suggested a Master's program or a multi-national corporation with which you could start at home.

Be more specific than you were in the first sentence of the response I quoted with what you want. "A non-German way of life" and even "cultural diversity" is way too generic. This way we are going to be a lot better equipped to offer advice that is relevant to your specific situation.
"A non-German way of life" the German mentality becomes very annoying after somebody used to life for a longer time abroad. Thats something only somebody can understand that used to life in the German and onother culture, just believe me in that point. I dont want to start bashing Germany right now but many former expats from Germany will understand that point.

"cultural diversity" in the US there is a rich cultural diversity compared to Germany i like the Latin American culture and what comes with it a lot more (for different reasons) than that what I have down here in Germany.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:22 PM

130,332 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Quote:

Good info. To OP, how long is the visa valid for, what kind of time frame do you have to use it?

Old 09-11-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
His written English is better than most Americans, let's be real.
Sad truth, but I stand by my original statement. Most Americans don't work in jobs in which daily and voluminous communication is a key skill. That you were able to get it done doesn't mean it will be the same for everyone.
Quote:
However, I would advise you to bring over at least $40k as a cushion.
Amen.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Good info. To OP, how long is the visa valid for, what kind of time frame do you have to use it?
This is what it says on the DV lottery page:

"When You Should Travel - You must arrive and apply for admission in the United States no later than the visa expiration date printed on your visa. A diversity visa is usually valid for up to six months from the date of issuance unless your medical examination expires sooner, which may make your visa valid for less than six months."

What the OP hasn't mentioned yet is what stage of the lottery he is currently in. I believe there's still work to do between getting the good news and getting the green card itself.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:29 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Sad truth, but I stand by my original statement. Most Americans don't work in jobs in which daily and voluminous communication is a key skill. That you were able to get it done doesn't mean it will be the same for everyone.Amen.
I had to start out with babysitting, office assistant, .... hourly pay between $8-$12 and mostly part time.

It took me several years to build up a job history to become marketable. Also, I was networking like crazy to make connections. Babysitting at neighbors house, asking around there, have them ask their friends ....
Without savings or military husband it would not have been possible.

HOWEVER:
If you start applying from Germany to any of the companies I sent you via PM or any other company that demands German skills ... different story.

At my workplace we have about 50 Germans. Mechanics, engineers, electricians, book keeper, admin, drivers. Some hardly speak/write any English.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
This is what it says on the DV lottery page:

"When You Should Travel - You must arrive and apply for admission in the United States no later than the visa expiration date printed on your visa. A diversity visa is usually valid for up to six months from the date of issuance unless your medical examination expires sooner, which may make your visa valid for less than six months."

What the OP hasn't mentioned yet is what stage of the lottery he is currently in. I believe there's still work to do between getting the good news and getting the green card itself.

I already got my visa, I would just come over for a short vacation to activate my GC.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I had to start out with babysitting, office assistant, .... hourly pay between $8-$12 and mostly part time.

It took me several years to build up a job history to become marketable. Also, I was networking like crazy to make connections. Babysitting at neighbors house, asking around there, have them ask their friends ....
Without savings or military husband it would not have been possible.

HOWEVER:
If you start applying from Germany to any of the companies I sent you via PM or any other company that demands German skills ... different story.

At my workplace we have about 50 Germans. Mechanics, engineers, electricians, book keeper, admin, drivers. Some hardly speak/write any English.

Great you made it there. Im sadly dont have somebody to rely on and im also not willing to burn through much money before I can earn my own.

Because of my entry level status i sadly cant expect to be hired immediately for an international position.

I hope that you are happy with your decision to emigrate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration