Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 08:16 AM

31 posts, read 27,904 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I currently live in Germany and have won a Greencard, Im 33 right now and I have a German apprenticeship as a Office Management Assistant and a tertiary Vocational Degree as a State Examined Business Manager. This are qualifications from the German Education system, so these are not known so much internationaly.

I also obtained a academic Bachelor of Arts Degree in Business Management. I also have some other certificates etc. I used to be a soldier before my education phase. I served as a administrative NCO in the German Army.
I also served 4 years as a liaison NCO in the US got an army commendation medal. So i used to live in the US and also traveled all along the Staates, so not everything is completely new for me.

But i lack practical work experience in Business, so I would aim just for entry level Jobs or Trainee Jobs with on the Job training etc. I speak German, English and Polish.

My biggest concern is If i could land a Job in the US to make a living. I dont know what chances I have with my current education. I also dont know how long would it take to find a Job. I have some savings but they are not unlimited so i would have not that much time to land a job.

I also dont know yet where i would really want to go (which city, state) because at the end finding work is my number one priority. I would have to go to America and look over there for work I dont have any chances to get there by a Germny firm or so.

What do you thing how are my chances to get work in the US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 10:21 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,061,494 times
Try the Veterans Administration first, or other federal jobs. You may get extra consideration since you worked in the military. . If you get work with them, or any federal agency, if you don't like the state you're working in, you can transfer your job to any other state without loss of benefits.

https://www.usajobs.gov

Old 09-10-2017, 11:31 AM

I served in the German Army and not in the US army so i dont think I can use services that are meant for US Vets.

Last edited by PLD102; 09-10-2017 at 11:39 AM..

Old 09-10-2017, 01:18 PM

24,650 posts, read 10,989,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Try the Veterans Administration first, or other federal jobs. You may get extra consideration since you worked in the military. . If you get work with them, or any federal agency, if you don't like the state you're working in, you can transfer your job to any other state without loss of benefits.

https://www.usajobs.gov
OP was Bundeswehr and attached as liaison.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:30 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,256,907 times
But what skills and experience do you actually have? And why do you want to move to the US? Do you have a family ir anyone to support fiancially?

I'm not really sure what Office Management assistant does in Germany. In the US military experence with a degree would be very much overqualified for an office manager IMHO.

Even though you are correct that services for US veterans won't help you most likely you will find that ex-military are very much desired by many companies. German language could also be an advantage if you search for a position at a company with presence in Germany. Don't sell yourself short. Look up Siemens, BMW, SAP, visit their career sites and go from there.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:55 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,591,402 times
I agree that your knowledge of German language and culture is a definite strong point. Have you investigated American companies that do significant business in Germany?

Old 09-11-2017, 10:27 AM

20,770 posts, read 20,007,648 times
Federal jobs? HUH??? They are mostly for citizen.

PLD, I will send you a PM, I have some links for you.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:37 AM

130,598 posts, read 12,160,757 times
Maybe a airport job, working for Lufthansa, or hotels.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelenap View Post
But what skills and experience do you actually have? And why do you want to move to the US? Do you have a family ir anyone to support fiancially?

I'm not really sure what Office Management assistant does in Germany. In the US military experence with a degree would be very much overqualified for an office manager IMHO.

Even though you are correct that services for US veterans won't help you most likely you will find that ex-military are very much desired by many companies. German language could also be an advantage if you search for a position at a company with presence in Germany. Don't sell yourself short. Look up Siemens, BMW, SAP, visit their career sites and go from there.

I used to be an administrative NCO in the German Army, I obtained my higher education after I left the Military (I financed my studies with my millitary benefits and savings)

I think for a long time to go abroad again, because Germany doesnt attract me anymore. I just dont like certain thinks about this country anymore.

My knowledge and skills are mostly in Business Administration my majors are mgmgt accounting, advanced accounting and taxation (but based on the German practice that is a little bit different in some terms), besides all the regular business topics i learned during my studies. I am well educated but I lack civilian practical work experience.

In Germany former Military members have a hard time in the civilian life, mainly because of the German past and the very negative sentiment towards the military of the civilian population . Thats completely different in America where people appreciate military service because of the gained skills and the gratefulness to serve the country.

I just dont know how to judge my chances on the American job market, I dont want to burn my savings and have to return broke, back to Germany. Thats my major concern right now. I have no American work history and would have to aim for entry, trainee positions when I would search nfor a job.

I also dont know how long does it takes on average to land a Job in America If I read things like: it takes 1 month of job search for every 10000 $ of income thats a little bit discouranging.

Last edited by PLD102; 09-11-2017 at 11:41 AM..

Old 09-11-2017, 01:05 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,174,450 times
Here's my question: why would you even bother? You have the foundations of a very solid career in one of the most developed nations in the world, but are considering plunging yourself into hardship just to move to the States? How well have you thought this through?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLD102 View Post
I also dont know how long does it takes on average to land a Job in America If I read things like: it takes 1 month of job search for every 10000 $ of income thats a little bit discouranging.
There's no such rule. You can make the right moves and potentially arrive in the U.S. with a job offer in hand, but at the same time you could be here for a year, burn through your savings (assuming you have enough - I'd figure at least $3K/month saved up to not be completely miserable) and come back home with an empty bank account and no old job to which to go back.

Would it be possible for you to find work in a multi-national corporation in Germany that also has a U.S. presence? That may open up international assignment opportunities.

I'm not trying to be negative - in fact, after having lived in the U.S. for twenty-one years, I've been keeping an eye out for expat opportunities myself, but have found those which would allow me to maintain my present quality of life few and far between. Even though with a GC you will not need work sponsorship (and, as such, will not have the burden of proving that you can do a job better than any American), you are still going to be at a disadvantage due to a lack of verifiable job history.

Another alternative you might consider is a Master's Degree program in a discipline in which you're interested. An MBA program, assuming you were able to afford it or get a scholarship (hard to do) would put you on the road to employment in the U.S. a lot better than what you're currently trying to do.

Last edited by highlanderfil; 09-11-2017 at 01:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration