Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 02:16 PM

24,597 posts, read 10,909,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Mercedes-Benz is building a brand new headquarters in Atlanta. The city offers a reasonable cost of living and lots of diversity.

I would also check out employment opportunities at the Atlanta airport. For example I imagine they need gate agents who can make announcements in German for German flights (Delta and Lufthansa)
Gate agents make 10-15/hr
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 05:53 PM

2,899 posts, read 1,872,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLD102 View Post
Since I came back from the US the difference is just striking: people are : rude, jealous, stubborn, dogmatic, sheep like obedience to authority, some would even denounce their own parents, not inclusive towards foreigners etc.

Not everybody is like that, but just to many
Where did you stay or visit when you had been in the US before?

Are you looking for any specific geographic area to become established in?

Old 09-12-2017, 06:05 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,519,293 times
According to the news I get, the German economy is flying along right now, with perennial trade surpluses and nearing full employment. Worker rights in general are upheld to a far greater degree and the union movement is strong. If you'll forgive my asking, I'm curious as to why you want to leave. Of course I do realize that personal taxes tend to be lower in the United States.

I should mention thatmy main sources for news out of Germany are Der Spiegel, RBB Inforadio, and Deutschlandfunk. Do those news sources tend to downplay whatever problems or weaknesses there might be in the economy?

Old 09-12-2017, 07:10 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,520,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLD102 View Post
Since I came back from the US the difference is just striking: people are : rude, jealous, stubborn, dogmatic, sheep like obedience to authority, some would even denounce their own parents, not inclusive towards foreigners etc.

Not everybody is like that, but just to many
How long has it been since you were in the US. We have lots of what you post above going on here.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:14 PM

31 posts, read 27,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Where did you stay or visit when you had been in the US before?

Are you looking for any specific geographic area to become established in?

I used to life in Alabama. yes I know its definitely not represents all America, but i also traveled a lot and I know the differences between the staates.

South Florida would be interesting for me.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
According to the news I get, the German economy is flying along right now, with perennial trade surpluses and nearing full employment. Worker rights in general are upheld to a far greater degree and the union movement is strong. If you'll forgive my asking, I'm curious as to why you want to leave. Of course I do realize that personal taxes tend to be lower in the United States.

I should mention thatmy main sources for news out of Germany are Der Spiegel, RBB Inforadio, and Deutschlandfunk. Do those news sources tend to downplay whatever problems or weaknesses there might be in the economy?
Der Spiegel is living the PC and tries to teach the German society what they tend to believe is the right. Its constantly downplays issues in the German society. Its left leaning but not objective. In many topics they are to be honest just lying toward the reader.

My reasons are not based on economy, but more towards certein feeling of life etc. Im have different reasons than a Mexican would have to consider that kind of a move.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
How long has it been since you were in the US. We have lots of what you post above going on here.
I went 2008 back to Germany after 4 years on the US.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:53 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,164,638 times
A German wants to move to the U.S. based on his experience in Alabama because somehow Alabama is more liberal and accepting of foreigners than das Vaterland. Welp, now I've seen everything.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:55 PM

277 posts, read 328,134 times
OP - I hope you give it a shot.

It would be the adventure of a life time. And you would not want to get old and think ' I wonder what my life would have been like if I used that GC '.

I had a number of friends from Germany who lived in Boston with whom I lost contact with. They really enjoyed their work and life. I know it wasn't easy at first as they related to me but not one of them wanted to go home. Last I heard about one couple is that they are now proud US citizens.

Are there any online forums or sites for Germans who reside in America? There must be some kind of German / American organization which can be of help.

I really wish you the best of luck.

Old 09-13-2017, 12:42 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,519,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Gate agents make 10-15/hr
Are there even full-time gate agents? I had always assumed that to be the case, but on my two most recent trips by air I was surprised to notice that what I took to be full-time, nonflying gate agents were actually cabin attendants on my flights.

Before those trips I hadn't flown anywhere in a very long time, so I'm unaware of what changes might have happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration