Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should the maximum amount of legal immigration the US should allow annually?
.1% of national population 16 36.36%
100,000 13 29.55%
500,000 2 4.55%
1 million 2 4.55%
2 million 11 25.00%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 10:07 AM

2,324 posts, read 1,171,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
My family has been here over 300 years and the one constant since then, and before, is the fluidity of movement throughout this country (and before it was a country). We've always been a nation of immigrants and always will be, and the vast majority of those trying to deny that reality mainly speak out of fear of WASP culture no longer being dominant.

I hope that WASP culture remains dominant in the USA. My family emigrated legally to America from Italy over 100 years ago. They came here to become Americans, to embrace American culture while keeping their Catholic faith and Italian traditions. Too many of today's immigrants come here with a surly 'gimme' attitude from day one. Most of them come here for the government benefits and nothing else.

We will never have a group of immigrants as pro-American as the European and Asian immigrants of the 1890s - early 1900s. They risked a dangerous 2-week journey across the Atlantic or an even longer journey across the Pacific to become Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2020, 10:47 PM

8,334 posts, read 3,844,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
I hope that WASP culture remains dominant in the USA.
Unlikely. America is largely mixed and we get more brown and mixed everyday. In no time, we'll all be mixed brown of different variations. People of European, Asian, Latin, African mixed descent.

Old 10-08-2020, 03:19 AM

2,076 posts, read 1,658,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Unlikely. America is largely mixed and we get more brown and mixed everyday. In no time, we'll all be mixed brown of different variations. People of European, Asian, Latin, African mixed descent.
I am indigenous from AZ. But I lived in the Southeastern USA for over a decade in the FL Panhandle. That region of the country is known as the "Bible Belt" and a "WASP" cultural identity. The FL Panhandle is pretty much Trump's base. Many are descended from Confederates. Tallahassee's history problaims it "held out" to the end of the Civil War as a Confederate stronghold.

But these "WASPS" of the FL Panhandle intermixed with indigenous tribes for hundreds of years. Many of these "white" southeners are part indigenous going back about 3 or more generations in time. They look white and for all practical purposes are indeed "white". But somewhere back in time they have brown indigenous ancestors who could have easily passed as a full-blooded "Rez" Indian from the Four Corners Area.

The point is that in the case of indigenous people, when the "WASPS" settled the area they intermixed with Indians to the point where full-blooded, brown indigenous people disappeared. Over time, the mixed-blooded descendents intermarried with whites to the point where they often pass as white. Hence, that is the condition of "white" WASPS for many parts of the "Bible Belt". A lot of them have a little bit of indigenous blood.

That almost happened to me. I had a southern blonde girlfriend when I was in the FL Panhandle. She taught me to appreciate Chick-fil-A (lol). We used to eat in there as a couple - a brown indigenous guy from AZ and a white southern woman. I was surprised about how mellow they were about it. But I guess' it's because white southerners have intermixed with indigenous tribes for hundreds of years. Elvis Presley was part Cherokee (as an example).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration