Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should the maximum amount of legal immigration the US should allow annually?
.1% of national population 16 36.36%
100,000 13 29.55%
500,000 2 4.55%
1 million 2 4.55%
2 million 11 25.00%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 04:32 PM

5,364 posts, read 5,145,684 times

Advertisements

2 million is not excessive in my opinion. The US is about to have a big wake up call demographically as boomers exit the workforce and it becomes more apparent, especially in blue collar fields that there isn't many coming in to replace the jobs needed. The construction industry has perpetually had a labor shortage (because they don't pay to compensate what the workers have to put up with).

What needs to be established though is that incoming immigrants should be limited to the "great plains" states, ND, SD, MN, IA, NE, KS, OK, and maybe TX exclusive of the triangle. These states are low cost of living, have low unemployment, have more than enough space, and do not have problems with growth that places like CO or FL have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2020, 09:32 PM

4,429 posts, read 5,160,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
2 million is not excessive in my opinion. The US is about to have a big wake up call demographically as boomers exit the workforce and it becomes more apparent, especially in blue collar fields that there isn't many coming in to replace the jobs needed. The construction industry has perpetually had a labor shortage (because they don't pay to compensate what the workers have to put up with).

What needs to be established though is that incoming immigrants should be limited to the "great plains" states, ND, SD, MN, IA, NE, KS, OK, and maybe TX exclusive of the triangle. These states are low cost of living, have low unemployment, have more than enough space, and do not have problems with growth that places like CO or FL have.
You bring them into those states and 90% of them will bolt for the magnets, within a years time. You completely disregard the huge, gigantic elephant in the room; automation/robotics fueled by AI. Not sure where you’ve been with all the articles about what jobs are insulated from automation et al.

You want millions upon millions of people coming in annually to satisfy a short term conundrum that hasn’t even come to pass yet. We’ll have a bloated population in 15 years with less jobs than we have now. I hope people like you are remembered..

Old 08-11-2020, 09:37 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,756,562 times
I can’t make an educated comment on actual numbers. However, more is almost certainly better. I like the flair immigrant neighborhoods have. They’re usually driven. And I selfishly like ethnic eateries.

Specifically with Mexico, I see a market argument to more legal immigration. Demand is high, so if you raise supply, we can get them medically checked and properly documented. That’s benefit one. Next, we give less of a market for cartel coyotes to make even more money. Three, we have a better chance of weeding out criminals and deporting them.

Old 08-12-2020, 09:00 AM

5,364 posts, read 5,145,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
You bring them into those states and 90% of them will bolt for the magnets, within a years time. You completely disregard the huge, gigantic elephant in the room; automation/robotics fueled by AI. Not sure where you’ve been with all the articles about what jobs are insulated from automation et al.

You want millions upon millions of people coming in annually to satisfy a short term conundrum that hasn’t even come to pass yet. We’ll have a bloated population in 15 years with less jobs than we have now. I hope people like you are remembered..
You could incentivize them not to, through additional tax if they reside in an area outside those bounds. Yes there's automation, that's mostly what's driving productivity gains. I've automated my own job away that I started with out of college, with that automated, I now just provide more and more data since it's easier, so there's more value created. That being said, it's software and data entry and cashiers that are the front of it. I don't see any sort of automation in landscaping, roofing, hair cutting, road paving... jobs that immigrants historically have flocked to. If anything, bringing in the 'best and brightest' put pressure on automation prone areas more than blue collar work.

Old 08-12-2020, 02:23 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,028,291 times
Zero. Like any other country.

Old 08-12-2020, 02:49 PM

9,469 posts, read 5,242,150 times
I wouldn't restrict it by number, which is stupid. This should be need based only.

Do like Australia does. If you have a skill we need here, apply for entry and we'll see if we can let you immigrate. Strict standards. No criminals, no Visa overstays, no illegal presence whatsoever.

Old 08-12-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I wouldn't restrict it by number, which is stupid. This should be need based only.

Do like Australia does. If you have a skill we need here, apply for entry and we'll see if we can let you immigrate. Strict standards. No criminals, no Visa overstays, no illegal presence whatsoever.
That’s not stopping employers from hiring foreign talent for more nefarious reasons. Americans training their foreign replacements is the obvious example. What “we need here” is so nebulous a statement, it’s silly. Critical talent needs is one thing as it equates to thousands of people, not hundreds of thousands. We’re outsourcing jobs anyway, so why don’t we levy a tariff tax on these workers?

Old 08-12-2020, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
You could incentivize them not to, through additional tax if they reside in an area outside those bounds. Yes there's automation, that's mostly what's driving productivity gains. I've automated my own job away that I started with out of college, with that automated, I now just provide more and more data since it's easier, so there's more value created. That being said, it's software and data entry and cashiers that are the front of it. I don't see any sort of automation in landscaping, roofing, hair cutting, road paving... jobs that immigrants historically have flocked to. If anything, bringing in the 'best and brightest' put pressure on automation prone areas more than blue collar work.
Agriculture, construction, restaurants and landscaping are all being automated, some at different places of development but the trend is by far loud and clear. I can provide you with multiple examples for automation in these industries that employ a good chunk of legal and illegal immigrants. As AI tech matures, almost no job will be safe, whether we like it or not. These businesses you worry so much about are going to embrace automation just like they embrace illegals and outsourcing as they do what they want.

Old 08-12-2020, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I can’t make an educated comment on actual numbers. However, more is almost certainly better. I like the flair immigrant neighborhoods have. They’re usually driven. And I selfishly like ethnic eateries.

Specifically with Mexico, I see a market argument to more legal immigration. Demand is high, so if you raise supply, we can get them medically checked and properly documented. That’s benefit one. Next, we give less of a market for cartel coyotes to make even more money. Three, we have a better chance of weeding out criminals and deporting them.
Flair and ethnic eateries? I eat all the time at my favorite pizza place owned by an Egyptian and staffed with Guatemalans. Immigrants are nothing more than labor units in this country so spare us the colorful immigrant sailing past the Statue of Liberty, jumping off and cooking you up some delicious chicken Tikka massala with the wiff of exotic flowery background scents, mantra.

In reality it’s millions of misogynist, colorist, racist opportunists who drive down wages and increase segregation. Multiculturalism is an abject failure at the nation state level. I haven’t even touched how importing millions is a detriment to the environment considering our per capita carbon footprint.

Old 08-12-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Zero. Like any other country.
They will tell you we’re a nation of immigrants so it has to stay that way. Little do they know every country on the planet are nations of immigrants, save Botswana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration