Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 01:49 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,901,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joghurta View Post
Yeah, the Native Americans and Hispanic Originals would agree with you on that one!
From Plymouth Rock, to Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, California, the Oregon and Oklahoma Territories all the way up to Hawaii, America's story is one of illegal (pale faced) immigrant invaders taking over the country and stealing it from the original inhabitants.

You are so righteous brother. We can't be concerned enough about modern immigrants learning from the example given to them by those that call themselves "Americans" today.

Hispanic Originals? There is no such thing. Do you realize that Spanish is a European language, no less than is English?

Hispanics also immigrated to the New World.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 01:10 AM

4,975 posts, read 9,538,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
you don't even know what you are talking about like most of the people who talk about other countries. you can get a one bedroom in china anywhere from fifteen to fifty bucks a month in the smaller towns and cities for example. yes, it's a modern apartment with plumbing etc but nothing fancy of course, just your basic apartment. you can get a full meal for as low as fifty cents at mom and pop restaurants, depending on how rural you go or smaller towns. of course, this is the low end but it gives you an idea. you will be paid comparable to the cost of living, duh. in the major cities like beijing that's comparable to nyc in price relatively speaking then you are talking in the hundreds to thousands.

it's about how the dollar converts in that country. of course your not going to get paid the exact same amount in american dollars that you did in the west. ever heard of currency conversion?? cost of living??

Eh, that wasn't what the post was about at all. Jeesh.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Apparently some of you are interpreting my post thinking I support illegal immigration?

I don't.

I'm talking "legal" folks.
There are problems with legal immigration too, but not all legal immigrants. The issue is the companies hiring cheaper workers and saying there are not Americans skilled to do the jobs.

I never would use the fact that this country has been built by immigrants as an argument to support the guest worker visa abuse. The immigrants who built this nation weren't taking jobs from the people here.

Since we can't employ Americans right now, and it is getting worse, there is no justification to allowing people in to take jobs, just because companies can rachet down their pay levels. No one wins.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Bottom line is this. If an immigrant enters legally, follows the procedures and remains in good standing I welcome them to our country. If they enter legally and allow their status to expire then they need to leave. Just like in any other country.
I agree with you. If they follow all the rules they should be welcomed. However we also need to look at our own unemployment situation. Should we continue granting work VISA's? I believe that we should especially in fields that we have a high demand for. Do we need more construction workers? No we have many many here already who are out of work.
Spousal VISA or K-1 etc. Personal choice and nobodies damn business. I do believe that we should make it easier to bring first family members over. Example adult children of immigrants.
By the way it would appear that your post was a rant.

Good post.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastee View Post
I have about 15 years of experience dealing with many Indian programmers here on H1B visas. They come here because the money is better and they want a better life. Plain and simple. They can't make the same wages in India.

Most of the Indian programmers I've worked with and managed were contracting through IT staffing firms. When we needed to staff up on programmers, we create job requisitions stating our needs. We didn't say we wanted Indian programmers. So that being the case, if so many American workers wanted these jobs, why don't the staffing agencies have their resumes? They are U.S. staffing agencies with strong American representation in other areas.

I have worked with some very good Indian programmers and I have worked with very bad ones. No different than non-H1B employees.
You answered your own question as to why the staffing agencies don't have American resumes. They don't want them. The cheaper they can get an employee, more money for the staffers.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Yes, send them all back home. We will take back US workers in foreign countries.

You would have to be living in a rock to believe in the "Americans are not as educated" BS. There have been many American engineers and scientists losing their jobs to cheaper foreigners. It's all about corporate greed, and it's killing this country.

Yes, and the whole "immigration argument" becomes fodder for the PC folks, but really is more about companies just finding cheaper workers than Americans. It also is a security issue. I once worked for a foreign owned company, and the owner bragged about how much of our US government work gets contracted down and then sent overseas so its lost in that maze of entanglements. It's crazy.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
My nephew just lost his IT job with IBM in Austin after working there 12 years. Guess someone from India got it. Not Fair!!!

Save our good jobs for our own people. We should stop all those work visa's now, unless there is absolutely no one here who can do the job (and this I don't believe.)

Hear this kind of thing all the time, big companies closing doors and going offshore. It was considered savvy back in the 70s when companies first did it...and none of them thought everyone would be doing it, but they did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration