Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 12:42 PM

387 posts, read 591,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom8130 View Post
My relative is currently in US with student visa (F1) for 4 years which is expiring soon. Could he renew his F1 in US? and what is the procedure, please? He does not want to go back to his country to apply it.
You can't renew visa in the US It can be done only at US embassy
US visa is only for entry to USA When you enter US Immigration Stamps
D/S on I-94 which means duration of status So long you are in f-1 status
you don't have to leave the US even if your visa has expired But if you leave the US even for going to Canada for short trip you would need a new visa if it has expired
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 12:46 PM

387 posts, read 591,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodrigoP. View Post
Currently I have F1 visa and I have been taking an English course in an International school. Besides that I have been also doing an internship as a volunteer from other school (University in this case). So my question is: Is somehow possible I get payed from my intership? If so, how can I get it? My supervisor told me that he could hare me for 19hrs a week. However he asked me about the legal process???? Someone could please give a hand on it? The time is runnig and I am pretty lost.
Thanks guys....
The International advisor at your school should be able to advise
If the job is on campus you dont need permission from DHS

Old 11-27-2011, 12:56 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,152,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigrs99 View Post
You can't renew visa in the US It can be done only at US embassy
US visa is only for entry to USA When you enter US Immigration Stamps
D/S on I-94 which means duration of status So long you are in f-1 status
you don't have to leave the US even if your visa has expired But if you leave the US even for going to Canada for short trip you would need a new visa if it has expired
Not completely true. If you have an unexpired I-94, you can visit both Canada and Mexico and return back to the US with expired F-1 visa if your trip is no longer than 30 days.

In addition, there is no need to go to your home country to extend the F-1. You could do in a US consulate in Canada, for example. Of course, there is no guarantee the extension will be granted if you do it in a third country (not your home country).

Old 12-09-2011, 09:05 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,433,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Getting a job or not is not the issue. a) F1 you can only if at all work limited hours on campus. b) H1B has to be sponsored by an employer, criterias such as job cannot be filled by someone legally able to work in the US, degree, ... apply. Do you think in three years you will fill such a position, have the required academic education AND finish the school you came to the US for? c) I have never heard of a transfer F1 to H1B; H1B employee has to be outside the US, be approved during April and start work in October.
H1B employee has to be outside the US,
Nope- not if you're already living in the USA on ,say ,an F1, H4 and some of the other visas
be approved during April and start work in October

not if you have a Masters degree, or are going to work for a non-profit company or a company that is affiliated to an educational institution.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:12 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,433,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStupid View Post
Again, nobody knows how to Google?

Let me google that for you

There are many misinformation and confusion here. First of all, visa is something you use to enter a foreign country while status is what you are once you are in the foreign country. For example, you enter USA under F1 visa then your status is F1 in USA. Your F1 visa may or may not stay valid depending on the original assurance and what the USCIS agent at the customs decides. Once you are in USA, you are on status, not visa anymore. You can adjust your status from one to another without leaving USA in most cases.

1. You cannot change your F1 visa to Green Card (status), period. There's no such path. It's like asking "can I change my orange to apple?"

2. There are many ways that you can convert F1 status to Green Card status. It can be long or short, expensive or cheap depending on the route you take or what you think is "long".

a. Getting married to a citizen is the shortest and cheapest. 6-12 months
b. Investing 1 million dollars is another quick one. 2-3 years
c. Getting married to a green card holder. 5 years
d. From student to employment, most common route, but expect 10 years if not longer
e. Getting extremely rich, famous (not infamous) or distinguished in science/art/engineering etc. This depends on your talent. If you can crack 2048 bit encryption code by a mere glance, you can win Olympic gold medal or you know how to do cold fusion, you get your GC super fast.

Mod Cut
No- depending on country of nationality, if you have don't have a Masters degree, then it's around 6-8 years.
IF YOU HAVE A MASTERS then for nationals of most countries there are no wait times ie dates are current-it's just the processing time. For my husband it was 6 weeks.
If you're going to be scathing then it might be better to get your info correct

Old 12-28-2011, 03:57 PM

2 posts, read 20,899 times
Hi
I and my gf (USC) are planning to get married in a couple of months and apply for I130 and I485 application. After getting my green card we are planning to fly to India for a wedding celebration. My gf currently has a India Visitors Visa.

Is it safe to travel, after I get my Green Card, back to the US without changing her last name and adding myself as her spouse in her US passport? If not, what kind of India visa will she apply after she gets her new passport with my name as spouse?

Pl respond.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:20 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,752,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillmo View Post
Hi
I and my gf (USC) are planning to get married in a couple of months and apply for I130 and I485 application. After getting my green card we are planning to fly to India for a wedding celebration. My gf currently has a India Visitors Visa.

Is it safe to travel, after I get my Green Card, back to the US without changing her last name and adding myself as her spouse in her US passport? If not, what kind of India visa will she apply after she gets her new passport with my name as spouse?

Pl respond.
Your GC and your own (foreign) passport are all you need to gain re-entry to the US. There is no need for you to be added to your wife's US passport.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:16 AM

24,635 posts, read 10,968,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillmo View Post
Hi

Pl respond.
You will not be added to her US passport. Contact the Indian Embassy to get current information on spousal visa and/or temporary visits.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 6,055 times
I am an f1 student. I have a sister who is citizen and wants to file a petition for me, is it going to take a long time or will it be shorter because am already in the USA

Old 03-04-2012, 03:17 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,774,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skycapatain View Post
I am an f1 student. I have a sister who is citizen and wants to file a petition for me, is it going to take a long time or will it be shorter because am already in the USA
It'll still take the same amount of time- around 19 years, maybe longer depending on which country you are from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration