Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 12:24 PM

363 posts, read 929,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by violent cello View Post
As I understand it you can renew your F-1 visa in a consulate or embassy in the US without having to go home.
Hey Cello,

Do you realize what you just wrote there?? F-1 Visas(I-94) are for the duration of stay, in simple English... until they finish their studies. Secondly, we don't have US embassies or consulates within our borders!!!!!! Please don't give out inaccurate info to the poor guy.

To the OP: How old are you sir? Passed your 21st birthday? If yes, forget family sponsorship...

Last edited by matyoka; 03-04-2012 at 12:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 03:37 PM

1 posts, read 12,785 times
Hello, I am currently on F-1 Student Visa and married to a Green Card Holder, who is going to have his Citizenship Interview soon. We have been married for 9 months. Is it possible for me to change the status from F-1 Student to Greencard? Is it better to apply before or after my husband gets citizenship? Or can we apply before that? What is the process? Any assistance will be highly regarded. Thanks

Old 03-10-2012, 07:04 AM

24,476 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NadaJohnson View Post
Hello, I am currently on F-1 Student Visa and married to a Green Card Holder, who is going to have his Citizenship Interview soon. We have been married for 9 months. Is it possible for me to change the status from F-1 Student to Greencard? Is it better to apply before or after my husband gets citizenship? Or can we apply before that? What is the process? Any assistance will be highly regarded. Thanks
It is a lot easier after his swearing in as long as you will be in F1 status at that time. Good luck!

Old 06-21-2012, 10:33 PM

1 posts, read 12,602 times
Hi, i am a F-1 student. I just come here before 5 month ago. Is it possible to apply for green card without getting married or any family sponser. Or after how many days i can apply for green card as a student.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:45 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,769,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjida View Post
Hi, i am a F-1 student. I just come here before 5 month ago. Is it possible to apply for green card without getting married or any family sponser. Or after how many days i can apply for green card as a student.
You can't.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 12,388 times
If you are a F-1 VISA student,

1. before you graduate school, you will apply to OPT(called optional practical training). It has certain time to apply. You can apply before you graduate and after you graduate (When you are applying after graduation, you will file within 30 days(not sure).

2. Once you've applied to OPT, you will get OPT EAD card. It will take 3 months. So, you should plan your career wisely.

3. For OPT, you can only have a year permission to work in US at any employer but the job category has to meet your major field.

4. While you are holding OPT, some majors can apply OPT extension (we called stem majors) which means you can extend your opt another 12 months. But, usually OPT hold only for a year. You have to find the employer to file H1B visa before your OPT expire. (It is very hard to find employer to support H1B especially in this economy)

5. After you file your H1B, you will work in a organization. If the organization knows your value and you are such a high qualified candidate, your organization might sponsor you to get green card for you. But, you will need to work for a long time at least 4 years.

If you know, what you want be
If you know, why you want be
Then, try your chances. Follow the steps and plan your life according to that and move forward!

There is some categories of jobs that US demanded labors but it requires high skill set such as IT field. Not many people have major with computer science or accounting. These sectors required to fill the labors but with the high qualified skill set. If you are high qualified candidate that US job market need you, you will get job offer with H1B sponsors.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:34 AM

1 posts, read 12,187 times
thats BS, my friend from taiwan was an F1 and she graduated in political science, she got an internship in utah and the company sponsored her. She now changed to h1b and lives in utah. the truth is its not what you know but who you know. If you can get an internship and make good impression company will take you. The US has always been like that, you got to bring something to the table to get in.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:03 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ming Ave View Post
Actually I just got to the states for school and I'll be here for 5 years as international student with F1 visa

But I was just wondering if I get a job in 3 or 4 years do I have to leave the country to fix the papers? I will still be in school at that time!

and what is OPT?
You just can't get a green card. Once you have completed your studies, you need to leave. There is no "fixing the papers".

In order to go from a non-immigrant to an immigrant, you need to have a immigrant visa. To apply for an immigrant visa requires a direct family member already legally in the USA to sponsor you.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:41 AM

1 posts, read 10,645 times
Default hello

hello
im student i came here 1 april. 2014. now im learning esl program. after i will learn mba. now i have a f1 visa. im not married and im 28 years old. my parents has a green card. they live in the usa for 3 years. i want to change my visa status. is it possible. if possible how can i change my f1 visa to green card??
tnx

Old 05-27-2014, 05:53 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okooko View Post
hello
im student i came here 1 april. 2014. now im learning esl program. after i will learn mba. now i have a f1 visa. im not married and im 28 years old. my parents has a green card. they live in the usa for 3 years. i want to change my visa status. is it possible. if possible how can i change my f1 visa to green card??
tnx
Your parents can sponsor you for permanent resident alien status but the wait is long. If they apply for and become US citizens the wait time will be shorter. This link explains:

Green Card for a Family Member of a Permanent Resident | USCIS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration