Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 01:01 PM

13,632 posts, read 10,038,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
Plus at least in the UK you're considerably more likely to be alive after a home invasion to use your camera evidence, here the criminals are much more heavily armed because they are more likely to be shot by a homeowner.
It’s surprising how often they are well armed here, plus, they know you can’t defend yourself with equal force. As an example of just how bad it is, four out of five houses where I am have been robbed, two of those have been robbed at least twice, two already had alarms fitted when they were robbed, two of those robbed were in broad daylight, two whilst the occupants lay in bed upstairs. Within 5 miles of me, in the last two years, two houses have been robbed and the owners tortured, neither case solved. Response time half an hour at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 03:28 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,431,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Do you ever come back to visit, and did the move make you and your Husband happy?

It’s the sheer vastness that is the attraction, I’ve seen most of the UK, and the rest is just like that which have already seen.

I think the US economy has far more chance of any future stability than the UK has, so I believe it can only get worse here. We have next to no manufacturing industry left, not enough land to support out present population, and very few resources.

On the safety issue, I believe in the US you are at least allowed to defend yourself and your property. In the media yesterday, a Police officer was giving advice on how to protect your property from these rioting hordes, the advice given was, make sure your security video camera has tape in it!

I’ve probably got to be realistic about this, and give up on the notion, which won’t be anything new to me. (But that is the whole problem of the UK, as how hard you try in life, you never have the chance to actually achieve anything substantial and this causes many to adopt negative attitudes).

There has to be more to life than watching soaps on TV, or getting pickled in the Pub.

I know there is the “Grass is Greener” thing, but it just may be.

I must thank you now, I know you are trying to be helpful.

Thank you.
It certainly is!

Old 08-12-2011, 10:18 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,750,697 times
Quote:
It’s surprising how often they are well armed here, plus, they know you can’t defend yourself with equal force. As an example of just how bad it is, four out of five houses where I am have been robbed, two of those have been robbed at least twice, two already had alarms fitted when they were robbed, two of those robbed were in broad daylight, two whilst the occupants lay in bed upstairs. Within 5 miles of me, in the last two years, two houses have been robbed and the owners tortured, neither case solved. Response time half an hour at least.
Again, you're seeing what you want to.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:20 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
I have no problem with Brits coming here as long as they don't try to pull the same stunts like they do in Spain. Namely, trying to push their way of life on us while telling us we're barbarians or that we have to do more to accommodate YOU (you in the general sense). If you don't like the way we do things here, then please stay home. That's my stance on not only UK immigration but just immigration in general.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:36 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I have no problem with Brits coming here as long as they don't try to pull the same stunts like they do in Spain. Namely, trying to push their way of life on us while telling us we're barbarians or that we have to do more to accommodate YOU (you in the general sense). If you don't like the way we do things here, then please stay home. That's my stance on not only UK immigration but just immigration in general.
The same irritating attitude unfortunately prevails worldwide. Some visitors here and many newbie wannabee transplants pull the same thing. "When in Rome ..." seems to be an alien concept for so many. Those sorts of visitors are only here briefly and, thankfully, many of those newbie wannabee transplants don't last long either. Phew!

Old 08-12-2011, 10:34 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
The same irritating attitude unfortunately prevails worldwide. Some visitors here and many newbie wannabee transplants pull the same thing. "When in Rome ..." seems to be an alien concept for so many. Those sorts of visitors are only here briefly and, thankfully, many of those newbie wannabee transplants don't last long either. Phew!
Unfortunately, it's not limited to immigrants from other countries. Even fellow Americans that move to different states want to change their new state into the one they left My state has a huge problem like this with all the New York, Maryland, and New Jersey transplants.

When I go to Puerto Rico I have heard Americans saying that it's annoying they have to speak Spanish when in Puerto Rico. Well, gee, why is that? Couldn't be that we've been colonized by the Spanish from 1492-1898? That's one big reason why we remain a territory and not a state. I prefer being a territory because that would avoid a lot of the problems Quebec has with the rest of Canada, for example. And I think not being a state helps us to not be overbuilt like Oahu and price out the locals

Old 08-13-2011, 05:08 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, it's not limited to immigrants from other countries. Even fellow Americans that move to different states want to change their new state into the one they left My state has a huge problem like this with all the New York, Maryland, and New Jersey transplants.

When I go to Puerto Rico I have heard Americans saying that it's annoying they have to speak Spanish when in Puerto Rico. Well, gee, why is that? Couldn't be that we've been colonized by the Spanish from 1492-1898? That's one big reason why we remain a territory and not a state. I prefer being a territory because that would avoid a lot of the problems Quebec has with the rest of Canada, for example. And I think not being a state helps us to not be overbuilt like Oahu and price out the locals
Actually when I said, "newbie wannabee transplants" I was referring to Americans. Lured by the idea of living in the tropics and lolling under the palm trees but under the American flag, they think it's going to be "just like home" but with nicer weather. Disillusionment soon sets in for most of them and they can't wait to scurry back to the comfort of their Starbucks, Krispy Cremes and Walmarts! That's after loudly telling us all that, "we don't do it like that 'back home'!", and talking about, "these people here" right in front of us.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:00 PM

24,596 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Quote:
Time to move?

Old 09-15-2011, 06:23 AM

Quote:
And it’s a good stance, totally acceptable. It's your Country, and not my place to change it.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Time to move?
I believe so. I just need to find somewhere that will have me and my family. (I'm not talking extended family, they can stay where they are).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration