Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 02:48 AM

13,630 posts, read 10,031,964 times

Advertisements

Immigration from UK to the USA.
I would just like to know your opinions on this.
Do you approve of ?
Do you disapprove of?
What do you think is the general feeling on this?
Would the feeling be different, regionally?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 08:05 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,771,414 times
Depends on the circumstances. I would not approve of a free-for-all, but if someone can get a work visa or is married to a American, then I think they will have an easier time adapting than people from many other countries (btw, I immigrated from Ireland on a spousal visa, now living in Arkansas).

Last edited by Penguin_ie; 05-04-2010 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-04-2010, 08:34 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Immigration from UK to the USA.
I would just like to know your opinions on this.
Do you approve of ?
Do you disapprove of?
What do you think is the general feeling on this?
Would the feeling be different, regionally?
1. Yes, when the UK citizen is, like any other foreigner from any other country, able to fulfill the stringent US immigration requirements. See uscis link in first "sticky" on this forum page.

2. See above.

3. No idea.

4. No idea.

And the point of this thread is?

Old 05-04-2010, 09:24 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
As long as you do so legally, why should I care where you move to? I agree with STT, I'm not really sure what the point of this topic was. If I recall correctly, you despise living in the UK with a real passion. I'm glad for you if you are finding some place you'll enjoy living - but it sounds like you're trying to stir up a US vs UK argument and frankly, that's been done to death.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
As long as you do so legally, why should I care where you move to? I agree with STT, I'm not really sure what the point of this topic was. If I recall correctly, you despise living in the UK with a real passion. I'm glad for you if you are finding some place you'll enjoy living - but it sounds like you're trying to stir up a US vs UK argument and frankly, that's been done to death.
I just took a look at Beclazone's previous posts and came across a BIG OUCH. No point linking it, up to to responders to do research. Cheers!

Old 05-04-2010, 03:03 PM

No UK v US argument. Why do so many want to misinterpret, and hence get offended.

There is a totally different reason, and yes PA2UK you are partially correct.

I am considering a move, but I don’t like to offend, and don’t want to go where I am not wanted. It is totally different living somewhere, as opposed to visiting.
I have always been an outsider where I live, ( NOT RELATED TO EVERYONE ) and hence an outcast. I don’t want history repeating.

STT Resident, what BIG OUCH? I just like to get people thinking, and maybe, motivated, and maybe I go where others fear to tread.

Penguin_ie, the circumstances, Me, Wife and Newborn Baby. Want my Daughter to grow up somewhere that still has standards and morals.

At the moment I am questioning my judgement.

I also wanted to know how enlightened respondents would be.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:27 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,771,414 times
Well, we live in NW Arkansas, the city of Rogers near Fayetteville. It has the Southern charm and "down home" feeling, as well as small town charm, but due to the university in Fayetteville and Walmart HQ in Bentonville, has quite a few foreigners, so people are somewhat used to different accents etc. I recommend the area highly.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
Well, we live in NW Arkansas, the city of Rogers near Fayetteville. It has the Southern charm and "down home" feeling, as well as small town charm, but due to the university in Fayetteville and Walmart HQ in Bentonville, has quite a few foreigners, so people are somewhat used to different accents etc. I recommend the area highly.
Thank you for your response. I will look into Rogers, and Arkansas as a whole, and give it serious consideration, but it’s not just up to me to decide.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:03 PM

75 posts, read 108,879 times
I thought British people didn't like Americans. I'M KIDDING. What do you mean would the feeling be different, regionally? Well, sadly we have more fast foods than you UKers, if that helps answer your question

Old 05-04-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
No UK v US argument. Why do so many want to misinterpret, and hence get offended.

Who's offended? And who are the "so many"? Three respondents hardly constitute a crowd.

There is a totally different reason, and yes PA2UK you are partially correct.

I am considering a move, but I don’t like to offend, and don’t want to go where I am not wanted.

Do you consider yourself offensive? Why would you think people would be offended if you emigrate from your country to another?

It is totally different living somewhere, as opposed to visiting.

Of course.

I have always been an outsider where I live, ( NOT RELATED TO EVERYONE ) and hence an outcast. I don’t want history repeating.

If you've always been an outcast/outsider where you live then why would moving make any big difference? Wherever you move you carry yourself with you.

STT Resident, what BIG OUCH? I just like to get people thinking, and maybe, motivated, and maybe I go where others fear to tread.

So you consider yourself somehow unique?

Penguin_ie, the circumstances, Me, Wife and Newborn Baby. Want my Daughter to grow up somewhere that still has standards and morals.

If you think the USA fits the bill of being "somewhere that still has standards and morals" in comparison to the UK then you may be in for a bit of a surprise!

At the moment I am questioning my judgement.

I also wanted to know how enlightened respondents would be.

As long as you meet the US immigration requirements, anyone's enlightened response or opinion isn't really of any import.
Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration