Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 08:52 AM

677 posts, read 854,067 times

Advertisements

Who organizes the biggest, baddest Fastnacht celebration? What would you typically find to eat there? Do people wear anything in particular - masks or costumes? What kind of rituals get played out? Sounds interesting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 11:51 AM

210 posts, read 382,509 times
Not really sure if anyone holds Fastnacht parties. But local churches and many fire companies make the meanest, baddest, best tasting fastnachts in the world.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:15 PM

13,255 posts, read 33,614,783 times
Emmaus has had events in the past, but I don't think they are quite the over the top Par-tay that you are envisioning Mr. Stokes!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:18 PM

Well then, sounds like the Lehigh Valley is the place for hungry people to sate their appetites! Wouldn't mind having dinner accompanied by festive oom-pah band music, and then waking up on Ash Wednesday morning with a mean stomach ache. The kind that really smarts...and requires true penance...

Old 03-26-2012, 12:21 PM

I don't booze. Partaying is out of style in the world of Mr. Stokes. Did that long time ago, when the body and soul were wiling! Now with a family in tow, we all are more cerebral...some would say boring. Ha.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:03 PM

210 posts, read 382,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stokes View Post
I don't booze. Partaying is out of style in the world of Mr. Stokes. Did that long time ago, when the body and soul were wiling! Now with a family in tow, we all are more cerebral...some would say boring. Ha.
If we are out to dinner, go to a bar or go to a wedding, I'll have a drink or two. But I rarely drink at home.

I have been tempted to have a drink at Rascals while the kids were playing, but have yet to do it.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:41 PM

Well then, it sounds like the Fastnacht parties are just the right speed for all of us. Give me a fresh fastnacht and a cup of coffee, and I'm happy. It's a good thing it's only once a year, my waistline could not take multiple celebrations!

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:17 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,387,388 times
The original post raises a very interesting point; I grew up on the fringes of the Wyoming Valley (Berwick) and still own property and spend most of my weekends there, but economic necessity has impelled me to work in the Lehigh Valley, again, usually living in smaller communities on its periphery.

The reasons for the disparity in cultures go back for generations, but I suspect the anthracite mining era, and the large influx of eastern and southern European (non-WASP) immigrants increased the polarization in Greater Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (although the Lehigh Valley has both some very heavy industry and some distinctive enclaves -- I see a lot of similarities between Northampton and Berwick, for example).

Whatever the origins, I consider myself fortunate to have been exposed to both.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:58 AM

Happy New Year everyone! Thought I would pop this back up to see how everyone is doing. Any New Years resolutions?

We spent the night at a friend/neighbors house eating, talking, playing games and watching a movie. It was a pretty laid back celebration. Anyone do anything more exciting like go into Bethlehem for the Peeps celebration?

Anyone have any food traditions for the first? I'll be making a pork roast with sauerkraut. I don't like sauerkraut, but my husband does so once a year I'll make it. I'm considering making a pierogie casserole but that may void the lose 10 lbs New Years resolution!

Realtors, See This.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:01 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,396,947 times
Well,for me it's to get out of the house more and actually begin to run again.

It's hard to believe I actually used to run competitively knowing what a fat @ss I am now!! LOL!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley