Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 08:37 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,577,645 times

Advertisements

Found a great link about local farm produce: Greater Lehigh Valley - Buy Fresh Buy Local
Quote:
Welcome to the Greater Lehigh Valley chapter of Buy Fresh Buy Local (BFBL-GLV). We're here to help you find fresh locally-grown foods in Berks, Lehigh, and Northampton Counties.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 06:52 PM

45 posts, read 120,740 times
A local realtor that I have been working with (very grateful to her!) indicated that there might be a house at Topton for rent. She said it's about 9min drive to KU. Can anyone give me a general impression of Topton? Thanks!

Old 06-11-2012, 08:41 PM

I don't think there is a "town" in Topton, but it's a beautiful area full of farms. Beautiful quiet, rural area.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:31 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,944,444 times
Topton is a sweet little town and I'm sure you will really love it! I love taking rides out there and eating at the Market Cafe. My kids love sitting outside at the Market Cafe and watching for the trains. It is a very easy drive into Kutztown from Topton, you could even do a bike commute if you wanted.

About the only considerations would be the above-mentioned train (it goes fast and can be a bit loud), so proximity to the tracks might be an issue for you, and being sure to check your prospective house carefully re: the neighbors (there can be large student rentals at various places which could get loud, and there are a few isolated places I ride by on weekends near/around Topton with Confederate flags flying and large rowdy drunken parties on the lawn Overall, however, it is a really beautiful area with lots of nice people.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:23 PM

Thanks toobusytoday and karen_s. I will be sure to mention those concerns to my realtor. That's truly helpful karen_s!

Old 06-12-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_s View Post
About the only considerations would be the above-mentioned train (it goes fast and can be a bit loud), so proximity to the tracks might be an issue for you, and being sure to check your prospective house carefully re: the neighbors (there can be large student rentals at various places which could get loud, and there are a few isolated places I ride by on weekends near/around Topton with Confederate flags flying and large rowdy drunken parties on the lawn Overall, however, it is a really beautiful area with lots of nice people.
Isn't it a bit strange to see the confederate flags in the area? It's not unusual for me since I'm in NC. In any case, I voiced my concerns both about the trains and the student rental/partying to the realtor.

One thing I do notice is that rental properties are expensive in this area. Most places are around $1000 or more!

Old 06-12-2012, 10:43 AM

Confederate flags are very unusual in the Lehigh Valley, but not unheard of in rural areas. Very good that Karen S. pointed that out so you can be aware of it.

Realtors, See This.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:50 AM

Does anyone know whether the train runs through town in the middle of the night? My realtor said that it's really impossible to avoid train tracks in that area and I can see why from google maps. She did say that the Borough of Topton requires certain parts of the town to rent to individuals or families and not students. The house she has in mind is in that part of town.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:20 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,944,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooby77 View Post
Does anyone know whether the train runs through town in the middle of the night? My realtor said that it's really impossible to avoid train tracks in that area and I can see why from google maps. She did say that the Borough of Topton requires certain parts of the town to rent to individuals or families and not students. The house she has in mind is in that part of town.
The trains are not "loud" per se - they just must sound their whistle at the crossings (you will see why, this is the main line and they FLY through there). Frankly, for me, I'd be used to that noise almost immediately unless the house directly bordered the tracks and vibrated my floorboards! I don't think it would be a huge issue even a few blocks away. I'll ask some friends, but I do think the trains go 24/7 over those tracks.

The "compounds" with the flags, etc., are almost all located on the outskirts of town, so being within town limits you should be good in that regard. If you are able, double back later in the day without the realtor before you sign anything, just to get an idea of what the neighborhood is like after everyone is home in the evening. Things are much quieter out there during the day, from my experience.

Nice rental properties that aren't in the cities are indeed very expensive! The cheaper rentals are closer to Allentown and Reading from what I have seen, both of which would put you in a much longer commuting situation. I also think the prospect of student rentals drives up the prices in that area as well, as you see many properties with say 3 bedrooms listed as available for 3 students at $500 per bedroom per month versus renting the whole unit to one family... However, the Topton option would give you a 100% no-stress, no-sweat commute, yet you would be away from the hustle and bustle of Kutztown and the student stuff. While you are in the area, you must visit our friends at the Frying Dutchman on Main Street in Kutztown if you are up for sweets... fresh homemade donuts

Old 06-12-2012, 02:48 PM

karen_s - the realtor said the house is a couple of blocks south the of tracks. I think I'd get used to it too, but that depends on the noise the make.

The house is currently under renovation and is not going to be ready until mid-July. So I'm not signing anything or visiting the area yet. The realtor is basically compiling a list of places for us to check out when we visit. The house in Topton was the first one she mentioned. I just wanted to find out more about it. Yummy on the homemade donuts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley