Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 09:20 PM

45 posts, read 121,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Wonderful news! I was wondering how you made out. Have you thought using Overstock.com? They have REALLY cheap shipping.
I have not, but I'll check them out. I was hoping to find a local place. There's a used furniture and antique store in Kutztown that I plan to check out once I moved there (GRQ Used Furniture). The other option I considered is to rent a van and drive down to Ikea in Philly and do some shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 06:17 AM

138 posts, read 285,234 times
Don't forget you can rent pickups at Home Depot for $20 for 75 minutes. I've brought home queen beds bought on Craigslist this way. Cheaper than U-Haul after you factor in U-Haul's fees and insurance.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:31 AM

13,257 posts, read 33,659,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
Don't forget you can rent pickups at Home Depot for $20 for 75 minutes. I've brought home queen beds bought on Craigslist this way. Cheaper than U-Haul after you factor in U-Haul's fees and insurance.
That's a great idea! I see pretty bed frames at yard sales and second hand stores all the time and all of the matress stores deliver. We got our last mattress on Emmaus Avenue. I think it was a Sleepys.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 07-23-2012 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 07-23-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Excellent pointer! I haven't considered this. I'm truly a novice when it comes to furnishing a house. My last apartment (years ago!) was furnished. So I didn't have to deal with that at the time! Thanks for the tip!

Old 07-23-2012, 02:18 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,403,174 times
That's a fantastic idea!!!

Quote:

Old 07-23-2012, 04:27 PM

138 posts, read 285,234 times
The one thing I will say is that they ask you to bring it back with a full tank, but sometimes the customer before you tries to get away with only filling it up so the gauge reads full, which is several gallons below actually full. So then when you go to fill it up, you end up paying for several gallons of gas you didn't use.

My recommendation is to document the odometer and "miles remaining" readout when you start your rental and then document the readout when you return it (in addition to your gas receipt, which you're supposed to have anyway). If the miles remaining is substantially higher after you fill it up, Home Depot owes you a discount on the rental equal to the amount you overpaid for gas. I got them to give me $12 off. Just be firm and have your documentation.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
The one thing I will say is that they ask you to bring it back with a full tank, but sometimes the customer before you tries to get away with only filling it up so the gauge reads full, which is several gallons below actually full. So then when you go to fill it up, you end up paying for several gallons of gas you didn't use.

My recommendation is to document the odometer and "miles remaining" readout when you start your rental and then document the readout when you return it (in addition to your gas receipt, which you're supposed to have anyway). If the miles remaining is substantially higher after you fill it up, Home Depot owes you a discount on the rental equal to the amount you overpaid for gas. I got them to give me $12 off. Just be firm and have your documentation.
Awesome tip! So essentially, take note of the odometer and 'miles remaining' computer readout of the vehicle at the beginning of the rental. The vehicle should technically be topped up at this point. So when I top up at the end of the rental and the 'miles remaining' number is much higher than when I started, I should point this out to Home Depot and ask for a discount for the rental. Did I get that right?

Old 07-23-2012, 07:04 PM

429 posts, read 657,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooby77 View Post
Just wanted to update this thread. We were at Kutztown this past week and saw two houses at Topton. Unfortunately, I wasn't too keen on either of them. At this point, I was in despair because there was literally nothing else available. So we drove around Kutztown and happen to came across a small cute little house that has a for rent sign up. Made a call and was able to see the house. It's is in fact a perfect house for me. The landlord lives behind the house and is a dentist in town. He bought the house because it was an eyesore in the community. A lot of work was done to the house and he preserved many of the wood features of the structure. It was well landscaped and weeded. The only thing I would have to do is mow (it's a very small yard!).

The best part of all of this is that it is literally on campus, blocks from my office! In fact, I can see my office from the distant. So I can walk to work and won't have to worry about driving in snow! I'm just so beyond thrilled that everything worked out. Now I'm just waiting to hear from the landlord after he call my references and do a credit check. I can't wait to sign a lease! He has been very polite and a delight to work with thus far.

I'm only able to move in 3 days before classes start. This was something I was willing to do because the rental property was so ideal. I'm going to move from Raleigh with minimal items, most likely with an air mattress. Can anyone in the area suggest a good reputable store where I can get some furniture (new or used), especially a complete set of queen size bed? They would need to deliver as well because I drive a Corolla! Thanks for all your help!
I live in Kutztown. Very pretty town with beautiful Victorians. I saw your post and thought, "Perfect somebody that can take my lease over" if I happen to have a door open for me to allow me to return back to the Burgh. To bad the timing would be off, because if that happened it would be early fall.

Anyways, one thing I hope you considered that I never did. I rent a two story duplex with a basement and large attic. It is a very old house as most in Ktown. Most houses are oil heating. I hope you factored in the price you will be paying in winter! My landlord was like, "Oh, you got to fill the tank up like a few times per winter". BS, I had to put $400 in every three weeks, and it was a mild winter. Not to scare you, but something I hope you considered.

Last edited by SPSGuy; 07-23-2012 at 07:16 PM..

Old 07-23-2012, 07:38 PM

SPSGuy - Oil heat was a concern for me. That's why the house I will be renting is small (around 1000sqf). The owner has also added forced air heat (oil) in the house instead of radiator. But I'll have to see how much I spend on my first winter. One thing that is new for me is water softener, something I didn't have to deal with in Raleigh... .

Old 07-23-2012, 11:07 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,953,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooby77 View Post
I have not, but I'll check them out. I was hoping to find a local place. There's a used furniture and antique store in Kutztown that I plan to check out once I moved there (GRQ Used Furniture). The other option I considered is to rent a van and drive down to Ikea in Philly and do some shopping.
Has GRQ reopened? They had a fire that resulted in a MASSIVE sprinkler system deployment. I know the bike shop downstairs was completely ruined, not so sure about GRQ though.

Kutztown fire damages 2 businesses

You can stop at the Sauder's house to see if they have any furniture (go soon and beat the student rush):
Maxatawny Township: A Mennonite home where everything's for sale - mcall.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley