Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 11:53 AM

45 posts, read 120,477 times

Advertisements

My partner and I are heading to Kutztown next week to find a rental for my new faculty job at KU in August. I'm getting a bit concerned (panicky might be the right word) because the realtor I have been working with is having a hard time finding rental properties for us to view. She thinks she will have 2 places for us to view (she didn't sound too confident on the 2 places). We plan to be in the area from July 18-20th.

A few places I found on Craigslist have not responded to my emails. At this point, I'm a bit at a loss of how to proceed. I'd love to be close to campus, but at as last resort, I will branch out from Kutztown and more towards the city area. Should I consider Reading or Allentown? From what I can gather, Allentown is more 'developed.' If anyone could help by providing suggestions of good neighborhood, I'd really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 12:28 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,389,322 times
Consider west Allentown; emphasis on WEST. Reading - not in a million years.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
Consider west Allentown; emphasis on WEST. Reading - not in a million years.

Thanks for your input. By west of Allentown, do you mean west of I-478? If not, can you provide a few city names you'd recommend?

Old 07-11-2012, 04:47 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,389,322 times
No, not at all. There are nice areas of Allentown east of the turnpike (not actually certain that the city proper extends west of the turnpike). Look in areas west of, say, the 20s (numbered streets run north-south). I'm not in the area anymore so can't be more specific. But if you drive the streets, you will know when you're in a nice area. West Allentown can be extremely lovely.

Emmaus and Macungie are nice areas also. Neat downtowns. Good schools. You can search on this forum for more about those areas.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:02 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,937,467 times
Try calling some of the ads listed in here:
The Windsor Press-Publisher Of The East Penn Valley and Northern Berks Merchandisers

(Use the online reader to view the East Penn Valley Merchandiser - I see 2 house rentals in Topton listed in this edition. Since people go to the trouble of placing the ads, hopefully they will be more responsive than the Craigslist folks are).

These folks have home rentals in far west Allentown, but they tend to be pretty expensive from what I see:
Providing Real Estate Services for the Lehigh Valley

Old 07-12-2012, 07:30 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
In my area, many houses for rent never get listed anywhere. You'll see a sign in a yard saying House For Rent and a week or two later it will be gone.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_s View Post
Try calling some of the ads listed in here:
The Windsor Press-Publisher Of The East Penn Valley and Northern Berks Merchandisers

(Use the online reader to view the East Penn Valley Merchandiser - I see 2 house rentals in Topton listed in this edition. Since people go to the trouble of placing the ads, hopefully they will be more responsive than the Craigslist folks are).

These folks have home rentals in far west Allentown, but they tend to be pretty expensive from what I see:
Providing Real Estate Services for the Lehigh Valley

Thanks karen_s. I'll check those out!

Old 07-12-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
In my area, many houses for rent never get listed anywhere. You'll see a sign in a yard saying House For Rent and a week or two later it will be gone.

That's what we may have to do when we are there... just drive around and check out a few places we see on the spot.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:30 PM

Just wanted to update this thread. We were at Kutztown this past week and saw two houses at Topton. Unfortunately, I wasn't too keen on either of them. At this point, I was in despair because there was literally nothing else available. So we drove around Kutztown and happen to came across a small cute little house that has a for rent sign up. Made a call and was able to see the house. It's is in fact a perfect house for me. The landlord lives behind the house and is a dentist in town. He bought the house because it was an eyesore in the community. A lot of work was done to the house and he preserved many of the wood features of the structure. It was well landscaped and weeded. The only thing I would have to do is mow (it's a very small yard!).

The best part of all of this is that it is literally on campus, blocks from my office! In fact, I can see my office from the distant. So I can walk to work and won't have to worry about driving in snow! I'm just so beyond thrilled that everything worked out. Now I'm just waiting to hear from the landlord after he call my references and do a credit check. I can't wait to sign a lease! He has been very polite and a delight to work with thus far.

I'm only able to move in 3 days before classes start. This was something I was willing to do because the rental property was so ideal. I'm going to move from Raleigh with minimal items, most likely with an air mattress. Can anyone in the area suggest a good reputable store where I can get some furniture (new or used), especially a complete set of queen size bed? They would need to deliver as well because I drive a Corolla! Thanks for all your help!

Old 07-22-2012, 08:10 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
Wonderful news! I was wondering how you made out. Have you thought using Overstock.com? They have REALLY cheap shipping.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley