Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 11:17 AM

205 posts, read 821,602 times

Advertisements

I don't think they're going to change around the TV stations on cable with this change. It's a CSA, not an MSA, and it's fairly arbitrary.

I used to only use antenna to pick up TV stations (pre HD days, early 90s) and I could pick up (from memory) KYW 3,WPVI 6,WCAU 10,WHYY 12,WYOU 22, WTXF 29,WLVT 39,W46BL 46(WPSG 57 repeater), WBPH 60, and WFMZ 69. I know with HD things are different now, but most of those are still listed on City-Data's Bethlehem Page:
https://www.city-data.com/city/Bethle...nsylvania.html

Also radio, I'm sure everyone in the Lehigh Valley can sing that annoying KYW NEWRADIO jingle.

Historically the Lehigh Valley has been connected with Philadelphia, that's where the rivers run. Over time the Lehigh Valley has built connections to both metro regions. It is still largely populated by decedents of PA Dutch farmers, Coal Miners, and steel workers. (I wonder if there are statistics on this)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 04:14 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,613,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyrocks View Post
Historically the Lehigh Valley has been connected with Philadelphia, that's where the rivers run. Over time the Lehigh Valley has built connections to both metro regions.
I think things changed only in 1989 when I78 was completed. Before that I think most people regarded Philadelphia as being the closer city (by travel time). Now it sort of depends on where you live.

From Lehigh Valley airport Google maps has it as 72.8 mi, 73 min to Philadelphia , 84.6 miles, 90 minutes to New York. But with the decline of careers in Center City Philadelphia, and the decline in population of City of Philadelphia, and the improvement of roads to New York, there was a natural inclination to head that direction.

In the mid 1970's many of the cities in USA had terrible reputations, but New York was nearing bankruptcy in 1975. In the nearly four decades since then the reputation of New York has increased by leaps and bounds. There is simply more reason to go there.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:31 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,247,725 times
Much like Mercer County, NJ (i.e. the Trenton area), the Lehigh Valley has always been a shared peripheral area between Philadelphia and New York. Allentown and to a lesser degree Bethlehem have always associated most strongly with Philadelphia, while Easton and other areas close to the Delaware River have a stronger New York orientation. (Of course, there are people in Allentown and Bethlehem that associate with New York and people in Easton who orient towards Philadelphia; it's the nature of things in the Lehigh Valley.

I'd prefer if the Census Bureau not assign the Lehigh Valley to the New York CSA because it doesn't really belong (or perhaps more accurately, fully belong) to the New York CSA.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:44 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,247,725 times
Quote:
I don't think they're going to change around the TV stations on cable with this change. It's a CSA, not an MSA, and it's fairly arbitrary.

I used to only use antenna to pick up TV stations (pre HD days, early 90s) and I could pick up (from memory) KYW 3,WPVI 6,WCAU 10,WHYY 12,WYOU 22, WTXF 29,WLVT 39,W46BL 46(WPSG 57 repeater), WBPH 60, and WFMZ 69. I know with HD things are different now, but most of those are still listed on City-Data's Bethlehem Page:
https://www.city-data.com/city/Bethle...nsylvania.html

Also radio, I'm sure everyone in the Lehigh Valley can sing that annoying KYW NEWRADIO jingle.
Back in the pre-digital TV days, the following TV stations were available at my parents' house:

Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton local stations:
Channel 60 (WBPH)
Channel 69 (WFMZ)

(There was also a Home Shopping Network station at Channel 51, based in Reading.)

Philadelphia TV market:
Channel 3 (KYW)
Channel 6 (WPVI)
Channel 10 (WCAU)
Channel 12 (WHYY)
Channel 17 (WPHL)
Channel 29 (WTXF)
Channel 35
Channel 48
Channel 57 (WPSG)
Channel 61 - weakly

New York TV market: - pretty much all of these stations came in weakly
Channel 2 (WCBS)
Channel 4 (WNBC)
Channel 5
Channel 7 (WABC)
Channel 9 (WWOR) - they should still carry the Mets!
Channel 11 (WPIX) - they should still carry the Yankees!
Channel 13
Channel 31

(There were also various channels with the New Jersey Network, some of which were based near Philadelphia and some of which were based near New York; Channels 23, 52, and 58 are among the NJN channels I remember.)

Scranton/Wilkes-Barre TV market: - came in better than New York but not as well as Philadelphia
Channel 16 (WNEP)
Channel 22 (WYOU)
Channel 28 (WBRE)
Channel 38 (WOLF) - weakly
Channel 44 (WVIA)
Channel 56 - very weakly

As for radio, yes I think everybody knows about "KYW...News Radio...1060eeee...you give us 22 minutes and we'll give you the world. This is KYW, 1060 on your radio dial, serving Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware." and also "traffic and transit on the 2's". However, I think many Lehigh Valley residents are also aware of 1010 WINS (KYW's equivalent in New York; they have traffic and transit on the 1's), and most LV residents know about 660 WFAN, 770 WABC, and 880 WCBS.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
I'd prefer if the Census Bureau not assign the Lehigh Valley to the New York CSA because it doesn't really belong (or perhaps more accurately, fully belong) to the New York CSA.
Every February three years after the census, the OFFICE OF MANAGEMENT AND BUDGET announces these changes. Ten years ago they moved Warren County, NJ

NY-Northern NJ-Long Island, NY-NJ-CT-PA CMSA in 1999
Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton, PA-NJ MSA in 2003

The decisions are never universally popular, so they are based on very explicit rules (mostly regarding what is termed "employment interchange measure").

The employment interchange measure is defined as the sum of the percentage of commuting from the entity with the smaller total population to the entity with the larger population and the percentage of employment in the entity with the smaller total population accounted for by workers residing in the entity with the larger total population.

Once this measure reaches 15, then the metropolitan statistical areas are combined. It is very bureacratic decision.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:38 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,389,344 times
My wife and I shop mostly at Valley Farm Market at the West Emmaus Ave location.
We love Cheese doodles so we went to get the two brands we love the most which are Goods and Wise.

Here's the interesting thing; All the Wise brand cheese doodle bags on the racks had printed on the front;

"" Wise is a proud sponsor of the Mets "" with the Mets logo emblazoned on the bag.

Of course the Phillies are always around on packaging.

It seems from a food branding standpoint the Lehigh Valley certainly shares the marketplace with both New York City metro and Philadelphia.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:06 AM

I looked into it, and used the us census statistics to figure out if the Lehigh Valley is more connected to the New York or Philadelphia Metro areas.

I used this dataset:
Metropolitan and Micropolitan - Other Resources - People and Households - U.S. Census Bureau

I have come to the conclusion that, according to this dataset, the Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area is slightly more connected to the New York/Northern NJ/Long Island Metropolitan Statistical Area through employment patterns. However, if you do not include Warren County, the rest of the metro area is much more associated with the Philadelphia region than it is with the New York City region.

The summary of the results:

Where people who live in Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area commute to:

Metro Area.............................................. .......................... ........................... # of People
Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area ........................... 286153
New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA Metropolitan Statistical Area... 32606
Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD Metropolitan Statistical Area............. 17985
East Stroudsburg, PA Micropolitan Statistical Area.................... ............................ 5658
Reading, PA Metropolitan Statistical Area................................ ............................ 4675
Scranton--Wilkes-Barre, PA Metropolitan Statistical Area........... ............................ 3243
Pottsville, PA Micropolitan Statistical Area .............................. ............................ 1849
Trenton-Ewing, NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area....................... ............................ 647
Harrisburg-Carlisle, PA Metropolitan Statistical Area.................. ............................ 482
Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Area ........... 277
Pittsburgh, PA Metropolitan Statistical Area............................. ........................... 228
Lancaster, PA Metropolitan Statistical Area............................. ........................... 191
Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, CT Metropolitan Statistical Area... ........................... 161
Bloomsburg-Berwick, PA Micropolitan Statistical Area................ ........................... 104

Where people who work in the Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area commute from:

Metro Area.............................................. .......................... ........................... # of People
Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area ........................... 292243
East Stroudsburg, PA Micropolitan Statistical Area.................... ........................... 9538
New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA Metropolitan Statistical Area .. 9297
Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD Metropolitan Statistical Area ............ 9240
Reading, PA Metropolitan Statistical Area................................ ........................... 9160
Pottsville, PA Micropolitan Statistical Area............................... ........................... 3786
Scranton--Wilkes-Barre, PA Metropolitan Statistical Area........... ........................... 1753
Non-metro Areas............................................. ................... ........................... 325
Lancaster, PA Metropolitan Statistical Area............................. ........................... 308
Trenton-Ewing, NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area....................... ........................... 195
Pittsburgh, PA Metropolitan Statistical Area............................ ............................ 158
Harrisburg-Carlisle, PA Metropolitan Statistical Area................. ............................. 140
State College, PA Metropolitan Statistical Area....................... ............................. 125
York-Hanover, PA Metropolitan Statistical Area....................... ............................. 112
Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, MA-NH Metropolitan Statistical Area. ............................. 103

I want to point out that this changes if you drop out Warren County
Where people who live in Lehigh, Northampton, and Carbon Counties commute to:

Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area.... ...................... 261864
Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD Metropolitan Statistical Area............ 17555
East Stroudsburg, PA Micropolitan Statistical Area........................ ...................... 5457
New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA Metropolitan Statistical Area.. 5354
Reading, PA Metropolitan Statistical Area.................................... ...................... 4675

Where people who work in Lehigh, Northampton, and Carbon Counties commute from:

Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area... ....................... 262959
Reading, PA Metropolitan Statistical Area................................... ....................... 9127
Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD Metropolitan Statistical Area............ 8895
East Stroudsburg, PA Micropolitan Statistical Area....................... ....................... 7885
Pottsville, PA Micropolitan Statistical Area................................. ........................ 3786
New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA Metropolitan Statistical Area.. 2095

This leaves me with the question, does Warren County fit into the "Lehigh Valley"?
I'll have to do some more number crunching on this to come up with my determination.

I also want to point out that Phillipsburg gets Comcast and their cable line up prefers NY stations over Philly stations, and Warren County is not in the "Philadelphia Media Market" but instead the NY market.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:46 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,912,100 times
So I understand correctly, for people who live in the Lehigh Valley (in PA):
1) 261K commute locally
2) 5K go to NY/ NJ
3) 17K go to Philly

Correct? I guess it depends on what "Northern NJ" is defined as.

Places like Whitehouse, Bridgewater, Somerset, Warren in what I would call Central Jersey have a lot of corporate offices, and I see PA plates around a decent amount of time. Are those in the "PA-NJ Metro Statistical Area" or in "Northern NJ"?

Old 07-25-2013, 12:48 PM

That looks right. Everything all the NJ counties you mentioned except for Warren are in the NY metro area. 5k does sound a little low to me, considering how many people I know that live in PA and work in NJ. It is possible that they are employed in PA, but travel to NJ frequently for work, which was my situation for a while.

The New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA Metropolitan Statistical Area consists of:

Bergen County, New Jersey
Essex County, New Jersey
Hudson County, New Jersey
Hunterdon County, New Jersey
Middlesex County, New Jersey
Monmouth County, New Jersey
Morris County, New Jersey
Ocean County, New Jersey
Passaic County, New Jersey
Somerset County, New Jersey
Sussex County, New Jersey
Union County, New Jersey
Bronx County, New York
Kings County, New York
Nassau County, New York
New York County, New York
Putnam County, New York
Queens County, New York
Richmond County, New York
Rockland County, New York
Suffolk County, New York
Westchester County, New York
Pike County, Pennsylvania

And the Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD Metropolitan Statistical Area is:

New Castle County, Delaware
Cecil County, Maryland
Burlington County, New Jersey
Camden County, New Jersey
Gloucester County, New Jersey
Salem County, New Jersey
Bucks County, Pennsylvania
Chester County, Pennsylvania
Delaware County, Pennsylvania
Montgomery County, Pennsylvania
Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania

Old 07-25-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Where people who live in Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area commute to:
New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA Metropolitan Statistical Area... 32606

Where people who work in the Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area commute from:
New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA Metropolitan Statistical Area .. 9297

I want to point out that this changes if you drop out Warren County
Where people who live in Lehigh, Northampton, and Carbon Counties commute to:
New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA Metropolitan Statistical Area.. 5354

Where people who work in Lehigh, Northampton, and Carbon Counties commute from:
New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA Metropolitan Statistical Area.. 2095
That sounds about correct. If you figure 60 buses per day at 55 seats per bus that is about 3300 seats per day. Some are empty, some are occupied by students, seniors or people going to the city for fun. The rest of the people are driving to work.

But the numbers easily allow for 15,000-20,000 people a day who live in Warren County to commute to Bridgewater area (20-30 miles). Those people end up making Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton part of NY CSA. The reasoning doesn't sound very solid.

Quote:
I also want to point out that Phillipsburg gets Comcast and their cable line up prefers NY stations over Philly stations, and Warren County is not in the "Philadelphia Media Market" but instead the NY market.
This response is on a facebook page and is from an RCN representative
RCN Hello Steve! Thank you for expressing your thoughts regarding WNBC. The change was a business decision and proprietary in nature so additional information is unavailable. Thank you, Gina

This comment makes it look as if the Fcc had nothing to do with broadcasting both stations. It may be simply because they are both owned and operated by NBC Universal and there is no conflict since they are the same company. But RCN did not want to pay double carrying fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley