Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 08:56 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,995,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyrocks View Post
I looked into it, and used the us census statistics to figure out if the Lehigh Valley is more connected to the New York or Philadelphia Metro areas.

I used this dataset:
Metropolitan and Micropolitan - Other Resources - People and Households - U.S. Census Bureau

I have come to the conclusion that, according to this dataset, the Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area is slightly more connected to the New York/Northern NJ/Long Island Metropolitan Statistical Area through employment patterns. However, if you do not include Warren County, the rest of the metro area is much more associated with the Philadelphia region than it is with the New York City region.

The summary of the results:

Where people who live in Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area commute to:

Metro Area.............................................. .......................... ........................... # of People
Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area ........................... 286153
New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA Metropolitan Statistical Area... 32606
Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD Metropolitan Statistical Area............. 17985
East Stroudsburg, PA Micropolitan Statistical Area.................... ............................ 5658
Reading, PA Metropolitan Statistical Area................................ ............................ 4675
Scranton--Wilkes-Barre, PA Metropolitan Statistical Area........... ............................ 3243
Pottsville, PA Micropolitan Statistical Area .............................. ............................ 1849
Trenton-Ewing, NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area....................... ............................ 647
Harrisburg-Carlisle, PA Metropolitan Statistical Area.................. ............................ 482
Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Area ........... 277
Pittsburgh, PA Metropolitan Statistical Area............................. ........................... 228
Lancaster, PA Metropolitan Statistical Area............................. ........................... 191
Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, CT Metropolitan Statistical Area... ........................... 161
Bloomsburg-Berwick, PA Micropolitan Statistical Area................ ........................... 104

Where people who work in the Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area commute from:

Metro Area.............................................. .......................... ........................... # of People
Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area ........................... 292243
East Stroudsburg, PA Micropolitan Statistical Area.................... ........................... 9538
New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA Metropolitan Statistical Area .. 9297
Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD Metropolitan Statistical Area ............ 9240
Reading, PA Metropolitan Statistical Area................................ ........................... 9160
Pottsville, PA Micropolitan Statistical Area............................... ........................... 3786
Scranton--Wilkes-Barre, PA Metropolitan Statistical Area........... ........................... 1753
Non-metro Areas............................................. ................... ........................... 325
Lancaster, PA Metropolitan Statistical Area............................. ........................... 308
Trenton-Ewing, NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area....................... ........................... 195
Pittsburgh, PA Metropolitan Statistical Area............................ ............................ 158
Harrisburg-Carlisle, PA Metropolitan Statistical Area................. ............................. 140
State College, PA Metropolitan Statistical Area....................... ............................. 125
York-Hanover, PA Metropolitan Statistical Area....................... ............................. 112
Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, MA-NH Metropolitan Statistical Area. ............................. 103

I want to point out that this changes if you drop out Warren County
Where people who live in Lehigh, Northampton, and Carbon Counties commute to:

Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area.... ...................... 261864
Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD Metropolitan Statistical Area............ 17555
East Stroudsburg, PA Micropolitan Statistical Area........................ ...................... 5457
New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA Metropolitan Statistical Area.. 5354
Reading, PA Metropolitan Statistical Area.................................... ...................... 4675

Where people who work in Lehigh, Northampton, and Carbon Counties commute from:

Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area... ....................... 262959
Reading, PA Metropolitan Statistical Area................................... ....................... 9127
Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD Metropolitan Statistical Area............ 8895
East Stroudsburg, PA Micropolitan Statistical Area....................... ....................... 7885
Pottsville, PA Micropolitan Statistical Area................................. ........................ 3786
New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA Metropolitan Statistical Area.. 2095

This leaves me with the question, does Warren County fit into the "Lehigh Valley"?
I'll have to do some more number crunching on this to come up with my determination.

I also want to point out that Phillipsburg gets Comcast and their cable line up prefers NY stations over Philly stations, and Warren County is not in the "Philadelphia Media Market" but instead the NY market.
It all makes sense now. I had a strong feeling that Warren County played a key role in helping the Lehigh Valley combined with the New York CSA. What's also interesting is that more people commute to the Lehigh Valley from the Philly area than the NYC area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 09:21 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,547,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
It all makes sense now. I had a strong feeling that Warren County played a key role in helping the Lehigh Valley combined with the New York CSA.
So in 2000, Warren County was part of the Newark PMSA. So they moved Warren County to the ABE MSA, and then Warren County dragged ABE into the New York CSA.

Newark, NJ PMSA
Essex County (contains city of Newark)
Morris County
Sussex County
Union County
Warren County

Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton, PA MSA
Lehigh County
Northampton County
Carbon County

It would be interesting to know how much of an actual increase there was in workers from old three county ABE MSA who are working in NY CSA.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:33 AM

205 posts, read 821,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
It all makes sense now. I had a strong feeling that Warren County played a key role in helping the Lehigh Valley combined with the New York CSA. What's also interesting is that more people commute to the Lehigh Valley from the Philly area than the NYC area.
It makes sense if you consider that Bucks county is in the Philly MSA. There are probably a lot of people in Quakertown and Springtown commuting north to Coopersburg, Center Valley, or further.

A good example of this type of situation is Rieglesville. It is in the Philadelphia MSA, but also within the boundaries of the Easton Area School District. This area obviously has stronger ties to the Lehigh Valley than it does to Philadelphia, but the Census Bureau only divides down to county resolution.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:30 PM

756 posts, read 2,117,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Unfortunately the Census Department determines the Combined Statistical Areas (CSA) and the Fcc defines the Designated Market Areas (DMA). They are not required by law to be identical.
Actually Nielsen Media defines the Designated Market Areas. They consider them proprietary too. The FCC just enforces the laws, that are so coupled with the use of Nielsen DMAs.

The one area not truly governed by DMAs are the Regional Sports Networks. I'd assume the New York sports teams could try to lobby that the Lehigh Valley be treated just like Trenton/Mercer and Wilkes Barre-Scranton region, and thus the all the NY RSNs/teams along with the Philly RSNs/teams cover the region. This could result in MSG can getting on basic cable in the LV, and extracting ~$2/mo per subscriber.

Quote:
But RCN did not want to pay double carrying fees.
RCN was likely paying for WCAU a retransmission fee, and WNBC a distant network copyright royalty fee. Other than news, WNBC doesn't offer much unique programming it must have figured.

WNBC is a distant network in Allentown. It's over 80 miles away and not significantly viewed over the air.

In the case of Reading, PA, Comcast however must-carry WGAL 8 as it is the closest network affiliate of NBC as the crow flies by the city of license, and it is significantly viewed. WGAL is carried via must-carry consent and it is free for Comcast over there. Hearst doesn't charge Comcast in Reading for the signal, but it like does in the Harrisburg DMA.

WCAU and Comcast have a market wide retransmission arrangement, even prior to Comcast owning WCAU.

Last edited by avg12; 07-31-2013 at 04:45 PM..

Old 08-01-2013, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post
In the case of Reading, PA, Comcast however must-carry WGAL 8 as it is the closest network affiliate of NBC as the crow flies by the city of license, and it is significantly viewed. WGAL is carried via must-carry consent and it is free for Comcast over there. Hearst doesn't charge Comcast in Reading for the signal, but it like does in the Harrisburg DMA.
I will have to take your word for it, as WGAL link is broken on the Fcc website.

I checked WBRE-TV (NBC for Wilkes Barre) and it is not "must carry" but can demand retransmission fees from cable operators.

I don't know how many stations choose the "must carry" option. There is no database that I know of. I know WFMZ (Allentown) and WTVE (Reading) and WBPH (Bethlehem) all choose "must carry", but they have little or no ability to bargain for retransmission fees.

I don't know if some of the network affiliates choose "must carry" or all of them choose "consent required". I am sure all of the owned and operated stations by the networks choose "consent required".

With the exception of KFSN-TV 30 in Fresno (ABC), all of the network owned and operated stations are in large DMA's. The Fresno station was just a fluke, caught up in the buying and selling of big companies over the decades.

================
Cox is experimenting with a $35/month internet only TV with 90 channels in Orange County. You have to spend $100 per TV to purchase equipment (max 3 TV's per household). The cable companies figure they need an option to appeal to the cord-cutters who try to watch everything from websites, Netflix, and DVD rentals.

The lure of internet TV will eventually prove too strong. Just look at the numbers. For instance, Chuck Lorre is producing three of the most popular 23 minute comedies on television (all for CBS). Just look at the numbers for last year.
217 million first time viewers for Mike and Molly
304 million first time viewers for 2.5 Men
403 million first time viewers for The Big Bang Theory
924 million people watched a Chuck Lorre comedy in first run

I am conservatively guessing that the rerun for one of these shows was watched 2 billion times.

Now all the principal actors on these shows are well paid. Chuck Lorre is said to be worth $600 million.

I also realize that these numbers are low compared to past decades. The TV comedy "Friends" probably had close to 600 million viewer in the 2001-2002 series at it's peak. But the idea of an alternative distribution network was unthinkable back then.

Suppose you could extract $1 for each of the 924 million viewers of first run Chuck Lorre Comedy, and a quarter for each view of a rerun. Now actual billing would have to be a little less nickel and dime, but the potential is very high. Producers are going to eventually figure out how to distribute their shows without giant networks, advertisers and cable networks.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:11 PM

2 posts, read 3,046 times
This is news & its serious. Just found out recently that Lehigh Valley (LV) was include in NYC CSA which happened in March & the area is more affiliated with Philly. 5 months later and the local TV cable companies (RCN & Service Electric) is dominating Philly TV Market with only 4 NYC local channels. It doesn't make sense what so ever. Is that why RCN Lehigh Valley dropped WNBC Ch. 4 out of their cable lineup because of LV came on board with NYC CSA instead of Philly? Had to be because tons of people who were caught off guard by the change wrote to RCN (including myself) but RCN never responded. The only area in Lehigh Valley that has most of the NYC locals ( Service Electric cable, Philly TV Market) is Warren County, NJ and Warren County has NYC TV Market of Direct TV & Dish. Just like Mercer County, NJ, included the NYC CSA area since 2000 but its still affiliated with Delaware Valley/Philly area & has both NYC & Philly locals (Philly TV Market). I don't know what the future will hold but if LV's going to stay NYC CSA then the local cable need to step up and add most of the NYC locals because it doesn't make sense that people who are curious to moving to LV for cheaper living than New York City gets robbed by only 4 NYC locals and only YES National (NO live Yankees games). Pretty soon the FCC will get involved & have have to force RCN & Service Electric to add the locals. Yes, I feel for the people who are pissed off at the people who put Lehigh Valley on the NYC CSA map instead of Philadelphia & I think it should be in Philly instead of NYC. To me 4 NYC locals LV area that's in NYC CSA is BOGUS!

Old 08-03-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
I will have to take your word for it, as WGAL link is broken on the Fcc website.

I checked WBRE-TV (NBC for Wilkes Barre) and it is not "must carry" but can demand retransmission fees from cable operators.

I don't know how many stations choose the "must carry" option. There is no database that I know of. I know WFMZ (Allentown) and WTVE (Reading) and WBPH (Bethlehem) all choose "must carry", but they have little or no ability to bargain for retransmission fees.

I don't know if some of the network affiliates choose "must carry" or all of them choose "consent required". I am sure all of the owned and operated stations by the networks choose "consent required".

With the exception of KFSN-TV 30 in Fresno (ABC), all of the network owned and operated stations are in large DMA's. The Fresno station was just a fluke, caught up in the buying and selling of big companies over the decades.
WBRE can extract retransmission in the Wilkes Barre DMA, not in the Philly DMA. It's not even permitted must-carry in Allentown. As the crow flies, Allentown is 45 miles from Philadelphia, 49 from Wilkes Barre. Since it's a duplicating network those rules come into play. Allentown is not in the Wilkes Barre DMA. WBRE had no historic carriage or significantly viewed viewership. All these pretty much bar it even must-carry rights in Allentown.

I think CBS and Fox have O&Os in small markets. ABC has only has Fresno and Raleigh (mid-size). I think it holds onto Fresno because it's logistically not difficult with ABC owning stations in LA and SF. It's kind of like NBC owning stations in New York and Hartford.

The Raleigh station is in a mid-size market, but it's a growing market. But, ABC could sell it/swap it. Raleigh is growing but I don't think it'll approach the Philly/Houston size of market within the next 10 years. It's somewhat of another unnatural market with Fayetteville, NC thrown into it, even though the ties between Raleigh and Fayetteville aren't very strong.

I think a few shows like the original content on Hulu is without networks, but it's at it's infancy right now. They all need advertisers. Hulu is part owned by some of the networks.

Last edited by avg12; 08-03-2013 at 06:36 PM..

Old 08-03-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueray View Post
This is news & its serious. Just found out recently that Lehigh Valley (LV) was include in NYC CSA which happened in March & the area is more affiliated with Philly. 5 months later and the local TV cable companies (RCN & Service Electric) is dominating Philly TV Market with only 4 NYC local channels. It doesn't make sense what so ever. Is that why RCN Lehigh Valley dropped WNBC Ch. 4 out of their cable lineup because of LV came on board with NYC CSA instead of Philly? Had to be because tons of people who were caught off guard by the change wrote to RCN (including myself) but RCN never responded. The only area in Lehigh Valley that has most of the NYC locals ( Service Electric cable, Philly TV Market) is Warren County, NJ and Warren County has NYC TV Market of Direct TV & Dish. Just like Mercer County, NJ, included the NYC CSA area since 2000 but its still affiliated with Delaware Valley/Philly area & has both NYC & Philly locals (Philly TV Market). I don't know what the future will hold but if LV's going to stay NYC CSA then the local cable need to step up and add most of the NYC locals because it doesn't make sense that people who are curious to moving to LV for cheaper living than New York City gets robbed by only 4 NYC locals and only YES National (NO live Yankees games). Pretty soon the FCC will get involved & have have to force RCN & Service Electric to add the locals. Yes, I feel for the people who are pissed off at the people who put Lehigh Valley on the NYC CSA map instead of Philadelphia & I think it should be in Philly instead of NYC. To me 4 NYC locals LV area that's in NYC CSA is BOGUS!
The FCC is not going to get involved.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post
I think CBS and Fox have O&Os in small markets. ABC has only has Fresno and Raleigh (mid-size). I think it holds onto Fresno because it's logistically not difficult with ABC owning stations in LA and SF. It's kind of like NBC owning stations in New York and Hartford.
I guess you are correct. All the networks do have at least one station in a mid level market. But out of the 210 DMA, no one owns a station in the bottom 3/4 of the markets.

The ABC Owned Television Stations Group, is the smallest of the networks and reaches 23% of U.S. television households, includes
#1 WABC-TV in New York;
#2 KABC-TV in Los Angeles;
#3 WLS-TV in Chicago;
#4 WPVI-TV in Philadelphia;
#6 KGO-TV in San Francisco;
#10 KTRK-TV in Houston;
#24 WTVD-TV in Raleigh-Durham, NC; and
#55 KFSN-TV in Fresno, CA.

NBC own 10 stations, and all of the top 8 except for #7 (Boston) but smallest O&O is #30 Hartford & New Haven.

CBS smallest O&O market is #23 Pittsburgh and #27 Baltimore about a million households. But they own a total of 29 stations (16 CBS, some CW, some MyNetwork TV)

Fox owns stations in major markets, but smallest DMA is #45 Orlando.

Top 10 markets
1 New York 7,384,340 6.468
2 Los Angeles 5,613,460 4.917
3 Chicago 3,484,800 3.052
4 Philadelphia 2,949,310 2.583
5 Dallas-Ft. Worth 2,588,020 2.267
6 San Francisco-Oak-San Jose 2,502,030 2.191
7 Boston (Manchester) 2,366,690 2.073
8 Washington, DC (Hagrstwn) 2,359,160 2.066
9 Atlanta 2,326,840 2.038
10 Houston 2,215,650 1.941

Old 08-11-2013, 07:52 PM

6 posts, read 21,000 times
Yeah, but that is only in THEORY. My mom's family has lived in Northampton County for generations and NOBODY there thinks of it as being related like that to NYC (except maybe newcomers who commute, no offense intended) also, who's brilliant idea was it to add CARBON COUNTY to the Lehigh Valley? I'm just curious because everybody I know considers the Lehigh Valley to be Lehigh and Northampton, with maybe Phillipsburg and Alpha, NJ added on. I've always thought of Carbon like I do Schuylkill and Monroe County: within the Valley's immediate hinterland, but not quite IN the Valley (and I live on the border of Schuylkill and Carbon) any thoughts on this??

Last edited by MUtcd33; 08-11-2013 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: Maybe the Valley was added because of future urban sprawl?? any thoughts??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley