Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 11:13 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,010,048 times

Advertisements

According to an official update from the Office of Management and Budget(OMB) the Lehigh Valley was added to the New York-Newark, NY-NJ-CT-PA Combined Statistical Area.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/defa...013/b13-01.pdf

New York-Newark,NY-NJ-CT-PA Combined Statistical Area
Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton,PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area
Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk,CT Metropolitan Statistical Area
East Stroudsburg,PA Metropolitan Statistical Area
Kingston,NY Metropolitan Statistical Area
New Haven-Milford, CT Metropolitan Statistical Area
NewYork-Newark-Jersey City,NY-NJ-PA Metropolitan Statistical Area
Torrington,CT Micropolitan Statistical Area
Trenton,NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 05:54 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,545,653 times
Oh NO! I do not want to be considered any part of that mess!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:27 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,588,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
According to an official update from the Office of Management and Budget(OMB) the Lehigh Valley was added to the New York-Newark, NY-NJ-CT-PA Combined Statistical Area.

New York-Newark,NY-NJ-CT-PA Combined Statistical Area
Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton,PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area
East Stroudsburg,PA Metropolitan Statistical Area
Notice that Monroe County was added as well.

I guess I am a little surprised. Previously only Pike County in PA was considered to be part of the New York CMSA. Now there are FIVE counties in Pennsylvania (Pike, Monroe, Carbon, Northampton and Lehigh).

I think when they publish this decision in the federal register they will give details about the decision (i.e. number of commuters, etc.).

Old 03-11-2013, 03:27 PM

2,095 posts, read 3,104,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Notice that Monroe County was added as well.

I guess I am a little surprised. Previously only Pike County in PA was considered to be part of the New York CMSA. Now there are FIVE counties in Pennsylvania (Pike, Monroe, Carbon, Northampton and Lehigh).

I think when they publish this decision in the federal register they will give details about the decision (i.e. number of commuters, etc.).
Carbon?? Really??

Old 03-11-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
Carbon?? Really??
Carbon County and Warren County NJ are part of the ABE metropolitan statistical area. They don't break up the MSA, they just add it to the New York CSA.

Carbon County is part of ABE because the majority of the population lives near Lehigh Gap and they frequently drive through for work, shopping, etc. Also many people from Northampton and Lehigh Counties drive to carbon county for recreation.

For 2011
22,214,083 New York-Newark-Bridgeport, NY-NJ-CT-PA CSA
18,081,569 Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, CA CSA

Also while NY CSA is 4 million larger than the Los Angeles CSA there is always a danger that the census will add San Diego (3 million ) to Los Angeles. The population of LA CSA is also growing twice as fast as that of NY CSA.

Adding 5 new counties to NY CSA will increase it's population by a million, making it less likely to be passed. New York city has been the largest city since the founding of the country.

Sounds silly, but it will make some difference in how federal funds are dispersed. Also you will see organizations in Lehigh Valley promoting the new status when soliciting business. It will make a difference because NYC is much better known internationally then Philadelphia. I am not saying an international brokerage firm will open shop anytime soon, but they will be more apt to consider the valley for support operations.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:27 PM

For a minute, think of how the world sees Philadelphia through movies and television. The three best movies IMHO involving the city were :
The Philadelphia Story (1940) Katherine Hepburn, Cary Grant, and Jimmy Stewart (filmed entirely on sound stages)
Philadelphia (1993) Tom Hanks and Denzel Washington
Rocky (1976) Sylvester Stallone and Talia Shire

But outside of these movies, the name Philadelphia is only mentioned in some relatively unknown films especially featuring an oft repeated story about military experiments in WWII.

Philadelphia, Here I Come (1975) - Minor dramatic film
The Philadelphia Experiment (1984)
Philadelphia Experiment II (1993)
The Philadelphia Experiment (2012) (TV Movie)
The Garbage Picking Field Goal Kicking Philadelphia Phenomenon (1998) (TV Movie)
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (2005) (TV Series)

Many movies are filmed in Philadelphia, but they are frequently social dramas and Philadelphia seems to be chosen if they want a gritty atmosphere.

In comparison, NYC is almost like an extra character in hundreds if not thousands of movies.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:45 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,010,048 times
Quote:
Carbon County and Warren County NJ are part of the ABE metropolitan statistical area. They don't break up the MSA, they just add it to the New York CSA.
So how does it feel now that your area is now considered a New York City suburb. I wonder if Lehigh Valley residents are running to the stores in droves to buy all things Yankees and Giants sports apparel. After all, you guys are basically New Yorkers now.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:24 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,545,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
So how does it feel now that your area is now considered a New York City suburb. I wonder if Lehigh Valley residents are running to the stores in droves to buy all things Yankees and Giants sports apparel. After all, you guys are basically New Yorkers now.
So not funny!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:38 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,829,682 times
These latest CSA definitions are laughable. They really need to rethink their methodologies... make the commuting thresholds a little more stringent, etc. The new CSAs are so huge that they end up losing all meaning.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:01 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,222,843 times
Quote:

Sounds silly, but it will make some difference in how federal funds are dispersed. Also you will see organizations in Lehigh Valley promoting the new status when soliciting business. It will make a difference because NYC is much better known internationally then Philadelphia. I am not saying an international brokerage firm will open shop anytime soon, but they will be more apt to consider the valley for support operations.
I have never heard anything regarding metro parameters and federal funds being related in any way. Always thought federal funds were local issues. Cities, counties, states. I have heard that cost of living allowances for federal employees may be effected by metro status. Don't know how true that is.

Personally I dont think its a good thing for the state of Pennsylvania to have a significant region like the Lehigh Valley be swallowed up by a city namesake thats 2 states away. It would be 1 thing if there was a direct and overwhelming link commuter link between NYC and the LV but the link is very very suspect imo.

I looked over the county to county commuting patterns and there is much more interaction with Bucks,Berks,Montgomery Counties then any NJ counties. The NY counties were a complete non factor. I read where only 2% of the Lehigh County commute to work outside of Pa. Why would I want NY getting credit for Lehigh County's economy?

In short if I am the Gov of PA I dont want the Lehigh Valley losing its independence to NY. If anything Id want to see the Lehigh Valley linked to the Philadelphia counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley