Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Are these recent transplants commenting on an earthquake? Sheesh - I didn't feel nothing - I probally slept through it or maybe I'm too far from the epicenter - but it sure doesn't sound like anything to get excited about.

For the newbies - give it a few more little shakers like that and you will just open your eyes briefly and go back to sleep. If it doesn't knock anything off a shelf or break some glass - its not worth getting up for.
It has zero to do with being a transplant or a newbie.

I've lived in Los Angeles for nearly 25 years and I don't like earthquakes in any way or form.

I remember Northridge, and when that quake popped off it was at nearly the same time in the morning, on an early Monday morning, 3 day weekend.

This one didn't roll in quietly, I felt a jolt and a decent amount of side to side rolling shake that lasted over 12 seconds where I am.

The land I'm over is liquifaction risk because I'm near the coast.

I don't like quakes, never have and never will. Anytime I feel anything over a 2.0 if it's in my area within a few miles I feel them.

Get your kit together, because we're not done yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
That's because it was a shallow quake.

I did not feel it. I was awake and may have been moving about when it happened.
Yeah it was definitely shallow.

Old

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post

The land I'm over is liquifaction risk because I'm near the coast.
Or just about anywhere in the basin. When you sit atop ~18,000' of marine sediment, prepare to rock and roll.

Old

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
These recent quakes have gotten me a little nervous. I hope they're not foreshocks.
^^^This is what I'm thinking^^^. I live up in SJ, but all these earthquakes have me a bit on edge.

Old
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Is this really an often occurrence (earthquake shakes that do nothing) in Los Angeles or have there just been quite a few lately?

Old

2,987 posts, read 10,131,637 times
I view this uptick in activity as normal. The area near Yorba Linda has had a noticeable increase in activity recently, same in OC and there was even a noticeable quake out by Fontana as well not too long ago. And as usual, off the coast there have been smaller quakes...and now on the west side.

Socal is simply a seismically active area with many faults. Quakes are just infrequent enough for us to forget about them, and as soon as that happens, we get little reminders.

I really am not worried nor do I think this activity is a precursor to anything larger in the Southland. Just an uptick in regional activity...that has happened before as well-and didn't lead up to anything larger. I remember some very active years in the late 90s out in the San Gorgorio Pass area and near Big Big. There was also a time when the Inglewood Fault from Hollywood down to Long Beach was rather robust and nothing major came of it either. Just be aware of disaster protocol and you might even find the quakes exilerating and educational, if you are so inclined.

Old

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
This thread should be sticky.

Old

10,681 posts, read 6,111,029 times
IDK if it's just me, or has the ground been mildly shaking?

Old

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
Felt that in West LA.

Old

Default Earthquake - Who felt it?

Happened just a couple minutes ago.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak...i15211897.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles