Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old

3,437 posts, read 6,072,515 times

Advertisements

An Earthshake in California?? Oh my, it is the end of the world.

Even for us a 3.3 is nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
An Earthshake in California?? Oh my, it is the end of the world.

Even for us a 3.3 is nothing.
Nobody likes being woken up by an earthquake.

Old

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
That sucker felt a lot bigger than a 3.3.

Old

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Oh hell that was a big one!

Old

2,987 posts, read 10,131,637 times
I always like to remind people who were miles away and didn't feel "it"...even small quakes in the 3 and 4 range can feel VERY strong, if you happen to be within a few miles of the epicenter. I guess some people like to act blasé about these things to act tough and pretend to be earthquake veterans??? That just shows most people's earthquake experience consists of the hype they see on t.v. These are the same people that felt a slight rolling motion from the Northridge quake while they were at home in San Diego and think they survived/experienced a 6.7 lol. It's all relative folks....

I wish the Mercalli Intensity scale was a more common measurement in the media in the US. Here it's all about the magnitude, but what matters is how intense the shaking actually was at any given area. And when there was intensity IV shaking on the west side of LA you better believe people will have felt it and it will make the news...but yeah, it is a non story fro the majority of the Southland. You would think residents would realize this instead of proclaiming "they don't feel anything under a 5" lol

Old

4,213 posts, read 8,303,136 times
We're due for a big one soon enough.

Old

1,242 posts, read 1,946,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Nobody likes being woken up by an earthquake.
That's why you learn to sleep through it

Old

1,786 posts, read 6,897,553 times
I didn't feel it, but I agree with Chelito. If you're right on top of a 3.0 that is that shallow, it's going to wake you up with a decent jolt.

Old

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Are these recent transplants commenting on an earthquake? Sheesh - I didn't feel nothing - I probally slept through it or maybe I'm too far from the epicenter - but it sure doesn't sound like anything to get excited about.

For the newbies - give it a few more little shakers like that and you will just open your eyes briefly and go back to sleep. If it doesn't knock anything off a shelf or break some glass - its not worth getting up for.

Old

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
That sucker felt a lot bigger than a 3.3.
That's because it was a shallow quake.

I did not feel it. I was awake and may have been moving about when it happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles