Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 11:38 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,798,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
It's disappointing that we don't really have a thriving, educated, black middle class in a concentrated area but regardless we're still here. Really LA is no place for black people but I doubt I'll ever leave.
What do you mean it's no place for Blacks?

Old 04-28-2016, 11:51 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,499,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanViewer View Post
I've never said I wanted to be around black people. I've simply said that I have noticed a lack of black people over here compared to Atlanta and the east coast. My concern is not about being around black people. I'm actually cool with that idea as a change. I'm only concern with the possibilities of growing my business over here as a black male.
What type of business?
Why are you concerned?

One on hand you could see it as a challenge , but also an opportunity.

You might find this interesting if you haven't seen it before:
https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/smal...ed-businesses/

Atlanta is the #1 city that has the most black owned business, 23% are black owned.
LA is #31 on the list , only 4.7% are black owned..but the average revenue is actually much higher $187,000 versus $52,000 in Atlanta.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:39 AM

12,400 posts, read 8,186,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Do you want to see Blacks out here or not? Not all of South Central is dangerous to visit. This isn't the 80's and 90's. A lot of areas in South Central are historic even. USC is located in South Central, with the majority of the students being White and Asian. They don't seem to have a problem with it.
It may be part of the central of South Central but at the local high school Manual Arts, a block off of Martin Luther King Jr. BLVD, once the heart of the Black community as the street of that name is in many cities there is less than a 20% and dropping, Black population

Old 04-29-2016, 07:46 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,996,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
It may be part of the central of South Central but at the local high school Manual Arts, a block off of Martin Luther King Jr. BLVD, once the heart of the Black community as the street of that name is in many cities there is less than a 20% and dropping, Black population
20% sounds really low. Vermont Square Profile - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times

Old 04-29-2016, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
I would suppose that greater percentage of Blacks versus Latinos are past the reproducing age range and among the younger are having less children. I remember a few years ago at on of LA's last Cinco De Mayo revenge for African American History Month riots at Jefferson High we looked up and the school at Central (the Black mecca of the 30s) and MLK BLVD had a less than 10% Black population and the Black kids where standing back to back until the police arrived to rescue them

Old 04-29-2016, 07:59 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,996,983 times
Quote:
I would suppose that greater percentage of Blacks versus Latinos are past the reproducing age range and among the younger are having less children. I remember a few years ago at on of LA's last Cinco De Mayo revenge for African American History Month riots at Jefferson High we looked up and the school at Central (the Black mecca of the 30s) and MLK BLVD had a less than 10% Black population and the Black kids where standing back to back until the police arrived to rescue them
Yeah, The black population moved from Historic South Central west towards Crenshaw a long time ago so that is not surprising. Jefferson High is in Historic South Central.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:21 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,798,968 times
Quote:
Whether that's true or not, you're talking one little area. South Central as a whole is still a majority Black and Latino.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Whether that's true or not, you're talking one little area. South Central as a whole is still a majority Black and Latino.
Sure but the OP was looking for Black population concentrations, around USC that concentration is dropping. Just like the Compton schools where I worked 25 years ago where named for African American heroes were already mostly Latinos as peoples migrated you have to travel further west along ML King BLVD to find Black not non Black Latino majorities

Old 04-29-2016, 09:06 AM

123 posts, read 146,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
What type of business?
Why are you concerned?

One on hand you could see it as a challenge , but also an opportunity.

Atlanta is the #1 city that has the most black owned business, 23% are black owned.
LA is #31 on the list , only 4.7% are black owned..but the average revenue is actually much higher $187,000 versus $52,000 in Atlanta.
I like those numbers. The potential for business growth is much larger in SoCal versus Atlanta. I guess it's all about marketing wherever you are and not so much about skin color.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:40 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,260,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanViewer View Post
I've never said I wanted to be around black people. I've simply said that I have noticed a lack of black people over here compared to Atlanta and the east coast. My concern is not about being around black people. I'm actually cool with that idea as a change. I'm only concern with the possibilities of growing my business over here as a black male.
So your business won't grow because the lack of black people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles