Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2018, 01:43 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,671,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
As Los Angeles politicians face mounting pressure to combat the homelessness crisis, the City Council is weighing two measures aimed at clearing obstacles to getting more people into housing.

But the proposed laws have stirred up concerns among critics who fear they will muzzle neighbors or concentrate homeless housing into specific neighborhoods.

L.A. considers cutting through red tape to get homeless people housed faster
But they're not talking about putting them in the desert.

With Venice's high property values it is complete folly to talk about building homeless housing there considering that is cheaper in so many other places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 02:26 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,290,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
No, people who work fast food jobs at 28 and have two kids(usually not married) don't deserve free homes.
Did mention any age or any kids? No.

I am making the point that I would rather see people who work hard at minimal paying jobs get the support they need vs. just building housing for career homeless folks who don't want to work hard for what they get in life.

Throwing money at unmotivated/drugged out/mentally unstable individuals is not the solution. We will never solve homelessness.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:07 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,703,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Did mention any age or any kids? No.

I am making the point that I would rather see people who work hard at minimal paying jobs get the support they need vs. just building housing for career homeless folks who don't want to work hard for what they get in life.

Throwing money at unmotivated/drugged out/mentally unstable individuals is not the solution. We will never solve homelessness.
So what? Not everyone needs a house or needs to buy one. That's why many rent. I rented for years in LA, but you know what, I saved up money...what a novel idea.

I didn't expect others to give me a house.

The ones whining on TV about wanting a $15 or more minimum wage ALWAYS mention having kids. Somehow their lack of planning, not pursuing any formal education now means their low skilled job should pay them more than their worth.

I agree, throwing money at the problem of housing that out in the desert isn't going to solve the problem.

But you also don't a free house because you work a low paying job, rent a room.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:10 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,703,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
You are right, but people hate to admit that it is up to them to do well, not everyone else.
Didn't use to be that way, if you didn't have the money you did without.

Now we have an "I want it, and I want it now" mentality, not being able to afford it doesn't seem to come into play.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:27 PM

689 posts, read 2,586,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
It would not be constitutional to NOT move them to where the housing is, according to the 9th Circuit.
Huh? I don't get what you are trying to say here.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:56 PM

689 posts, read 2,586,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
"And who is going to pay for all this Bob? You?"

The funds for the homeless were already allocated by a vote of the people.

Problem is, government is spending it in the wrong places.

Bob.
It is true the money has been allocated and it is true that lots of the money is being spent in the wrong places. Unfortunately lots of money and resources have already been wasted. This recent LA times article from Steve Lopez lays it out, and it's not pretty. L.A. homeless crisis grows despite political promises, many speeches and millions of dollars. How do we fix this? Lack of coordination and infighting between various agencies, mainly between the city and county.

But the idea that we can "BUILD THE CAMPS" and all of this will magically disappear is nonsense. Just on the logistical side it would never work. You should read up on the Japanese interment camps from the WW2 era. Manzanar, the one closest to us held 10,000 people. And that was on 540 acres with almost 40 barracks for internees plus a similar number of barracks just to house all of the support staff. And we have more than 5 times as many homeless in the city of LA. Are we really going to build a 2,000 acre facility in the AV with hundreds of buildings to house tens of thousands of homeless people?

This X5?. BTW - the photo was taken by Ansel Adams.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manzanar

Old 02-12-2018, 09:37 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,671,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
The problem with build the camps is will they come. Whether they are in the out reaches of the county or built on old city owned parking lots will we let them bring in their self medication without unreasonable search and seizure? Will we provide privacy to allow them to attempt to reproduce or masturbate? Without that we are then turning this over to the Sheriff/ Department of Corrections and forcing them into the camp/urban building? Something which our courts have repeatedly struck down
The courts struck down rounding them up BECAUSE there were no camps to put them in. If such camps exist they can be rounded up

Old 02-12-2018, 10:20 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,290,462 times
Quote:
So what?
I don't get why you have completely misinterpreted my point.
Quote:
Not everyone needs a house or needs to buy one. That's why many rent.
Let me correct...insert housing for house.
Quote:
I didn't expect others to give me a house.
Here is where you missed my point. Never did I say the homeless 'expect' others to buy them a house...the bleeding hearts expect others to provide free housing to the homeless. My point is why not instead provide it to those who are working hard to make ends meet but who are barely scraping by?
Quote:
The ones whining on TV about wanting a $15 or more minimum wage ALWAYS mention having kids. Somehow their lack of planning, not pursuing any formal education now means their low skilled job should pay them more than their worth.
This has nothing to do with what I posted.
Quote:
I agree, throwing money at the problem of housing that out in the desert isn't going to solve the problem.

Quote:
But you also don't a free house because you work a low paying job, rent a room.
Nor are you entitled to free housing just because you are a career homeless person.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:42 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,540,809 times
Recent L.A Times article reading homeless situation

L.A. homeless crisis grows despite political promises, many speeches and millions of dollars. How do we fix this?

Old 02-13-2018, 07:40 AM

26,839 posts, read 27,005,584 times
^^ from your link (and posted on the Orange County homeless thread a couple of weeks ago):

"...a region where housing costs have soared and gentrification has unsettled one neighborhood after another, pushing more people into their cars and onto the streets.

On skid row, I
(Steve Lopez) asked a social worker if numbers are up.

Yes, he said.

And what's the biggest reason?

"Evictions," he said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles