Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 04:08 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,452,047 times

Advertisements

Ben Synders was a real department store, except they didnt have a furniture section. What I recall about the Dixie Manor location was that circular ceiling treatment and the 1950s chandelier thing over the cosmetics counter .

The Zayer on Dixie was pretty retro too. The version I recall was the big glass window in front, and that roof swooping up from the store, with the indoor-outdoor flurouscent light strips continuing down into the store, and the big red neon or illuminated ZAYER sign over it.

Very modernist. Neat bit of jet age store design, but now gone (i think they bricked up the windows and maybe even tore it down now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 06:06 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,075,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferyT View Post
Ben Synders was a real department store, except they didnt have a furniture section. What I recall about the Dixie Manor location was that circular ceiling treatment and the 1950s chandelier thing over the cosmetics counter .

The Zayer on Dixie was pretty retro too. The version I recall was the big glass window in front, and that roof swooping up from the store, with the indoor-outdoor flurouscent light strips continuing down into the store, and the big red neon or illuminated ZAYER sign over it.

Very modernist. Neat bit of jet age store design, but now gone (i think they bricked up the windows and maybe even tore it down now.

It's a Kroger and has been for a loooooooooooooooong time

Old 11-06-2007, 08:54 PM

75 posts, read 237,946 times
Hawley Cooke. (Bought by Borders?)

The Icehawks, Riverfrogs, and Panthers.

Convenient stores, in particular the one in the highlands. (I believe it's a Dairy Mart now but I haven't been back in a while.) It was just nostalgic, not spectacular.

The Vogue.

Rollerskating in the basement of the Midcity Mall.

If you come here to North Carolina to eat at Bojangles, you may realize it was a step-up for Louisville to get rid of theirs.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:12 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,735,867 times
many of the properties you guys lament have now been rehabbed and are undergoing adaptive reusue. It is happening all over the city. Take for example, the Vogue. It is now Clodhoppers boutique and that entire area is surrounded by an upscale boutique village with retail and shops.

Toy Tiger is long gone, and that area of Buechel is starting to make a bit of a comeback. The highrise there is actually an apartment complex.

When driving down Dixie Highway recently, I saw an Ehrler's ice cream in PRP. As I have become interested in the city's history, I have researched some of this. Downtown, all kinds of old buildings are being reusued. From what I can gather, any one who has not been here in awhile and returns in 5 years from now will almost barely recognize the city as the same place. It seems half the buildings downtown are under some sort of rehab, and even buildings you hardly notice have had nice paint jobs added. Stuff like that really changes a city. I remember when I first moved to the city I thought the downtown looked a little run down and tired. Now it seems vibrant and alive with activity.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:03 AM

well shoot now the Ryan's on dixie has closed. Darn it!

Old 12-26-2007, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 6,767 times
If you went to Waggoner you surely remember Paul Arnold! We were college roommates at Western.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:24 AM

I am not sure if it has been mentioned yet but what about Po' Folks?

Old 12-27-2007, 07:18 AM

52 posts, read 154,537 times
Even though I'm not from Kentucky, I remember Po' Folks. I used to go to Nashville every year and we always made sure we stopped there. I loved their red beans and rice, biscuits and my diet coke in the pint jars. My sister and I still bring that place up once in awhile.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb lady View Post
Even though I'm not from Kentucky, I remember Po' Folks. I used to go to Nashville every year and we always made sure we stopped there. I loved their red beans and rice, biscuits and my diet coke in the pint jars. My sister and I still bring that place up once in awhile.
I LOVED Po' Folks and still miss it on occasion.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:58 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,452,047 times
Po' Folks had that sort of corny but fun interior design, sort of a Fridays for good old boys and girls. But I really liked their stuff. Particularly their sides, like the very good green beans.

Just curious, did they have any on the East End? We ate at the one on Dixie near Dixie Manor, but I think there was one more in town, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area