Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2023, 03:14 PM

6,344 posts, read 11,097,560 times

Advertisements

I would like to upgrade the RAM in a 2012 iMac computer but I don't quite know what shops in Louisville would do an upgrade. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2023, 10:40 AM

8,069 posts, read 12,787,809 times
You CAN upgrade it yourself.

https://www.crucial.com/products/mem...s&gclsrc=aw.ds

Just use their scanning system to determine what ram to buy and find a youtube video on how to do it. It is fairly simple; one of the simplest things you can do.

Old 01-21-2023, 10:56 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,088,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I would like to upgrade the RAM in a 2012 iMac computer but I don't quite know what shops in Louisville would do an upgrade. Any suggestions?
iMac RAM Upgrades Up to 128GB - OWC

After you order the RAM look up there YouTube instructional videos for how to do the upgrade.

Old 01-21-2023, 12:36 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,148,802 times
Quote:
You can buy the RAM on Amazon and it's incredibly easy to add it. I'm not remotely a handy guy, but I did it myself with no trouble with just the help of Google.

Old 01-21-2023, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
You can buy the RAM on Amazon and it's incredibly easy to add it. I'm not remotely a handy guy, but I did it myself with no trouble with just the help of Google.
Ryan, Cloudy and Wartrace. Ordinarily this would be the case but the 2012 iMac's are a different design from their predecessors and also many that follow it. It requires taking off the front screen from the rest of the body and also removing a board inside the computer to gain access to the RAM. I have upgraded some of the Mini's that I have and if I had the 2011 iMac I would tackle that. But this upgrade, even according to Apple is for pro's only.

Old 01-21-2023, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Ryan, Cloudy and Wartrace. Ordinarily this would be the case but the 2012 iMac's are a different design from their predecessors and also many that follow it. It requires taking off the front screen from the rest of the body and also removing a board inside the computer to gain access to the RAM. I have upgraded some of the Mini's that I have and if I had the 2011 iMac I would tackle that. But this upgrade, even according to Apple is for pro's only.
That's why they have the instruction videos for it. It's not worth it to pay for a professional installation. An iMac that old is only worth a few hundred dollars. A professional installation will cost you more than that. You could buy an already upgraded one on eBay for less money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g27XQVAiGDg

Old 01-21-2023, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
That's why they have the instruction videos for it. It's not worth it to pay for a professional installation. An iMac that old is only worth a few hundred dollars. A professional installation will cost you more than that. You could buy an already upgraded one on eBay for less money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g27XQVAiGDg
I used to work on cars but not computers. . And I can do some basic work with radio electronics too. I did finally get a price quote from a local shop and it is reasonable. Thankfully it is not going to cost a few hundred to install the RAM.

I have my talents and skills but working on computers is not one of them. At least not something this intensive.

Old 01-24-2023, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I used to work on cars but not computers. . And I can do some basic work with radio electronics too. I did finally get a price quote from a local shop and it is reasonable. Thankfully it is not going to cost a few hundred to install the RAM.

I have my talents and skills but working on computers is not one of them. At least not something this intensive.
For what it's worth, I just had to order a new battery for this old MacBook Pro, because it keeps shutting down on me. When I went to the website they wanted to sell me an installation kit complete with Safety Glasses, Plastic Cards, Plastic Syringe, Adhesive Remover, Nitrile Gloves, a Procedure Towel, and a Nylon Probe Tool. I was like WTF? Then I realized I had put in the wrong model number. When I corrected that, I was able to order just the battery. I expect they will include a couple of cheap Torx Screwdrivers with it, but I already have those.

Apple Computers are not what they used to be, unfortunately.

Old 01-24-2023, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
For what it's worth, I just had to order a new battery for this old MacBook Pro, because it keeps shutting down on me. When I went to the website they wanted to sell me an installation kit complete with Safety Glasses, Plastic Cards, Plastic Syringe, Adhesive Remover, Nitrile Gloves, a Procedure Towel, and a Nylon Probe Tool. I was like WTF? Then I realized I had put in the wrong model number. When I corrected that, I was able to order just the battery. I expect they will include a couple of cheap Torx Screwdrivers with it, but I already have those.

Apple Computers are not what they used to be, unfortunately.
Not much these days is like it used to be. . Unfortunately.

Just got my RAM from OWC and they also included an install kit for the RAM. I didn't have to pay for it from what I see. Even so, after seeing how difficult it is to do some of these steps I would rather pay the store which does handle Apple computers to do the work. BTW. I see you are in OR. I understand why you think it might cost hundreds of dollars to get the RAM installed. My friend and his wife lived in Vancouver, WA for years and north of there and now live in Blaine, WA. He has told me how expensive things are in both states. I'm from CT and know full well what the cost is like to live in or near either coast in many places. But prices in Louisville are much cheaper and I can get the RAM installed for a bit over $100 here which is reasonable.

Old 01-24-2023, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Not much these days is like it used to be. . Unfortunately.

Just got my RAM from OWC and they also included an install kit for the RAM. I didn't have to pay for it from what I see. Even so, after seeing how difficult it is to do some of these steps I would rather pay the store which does handle Apple computers to do the work. BTW. I see you are in OR. I understand why you think it might cost hundreds of dollars to get the RAM installed. My friend and his wife lived in Vancouver, WA for years and north of there and now live in Blaine, WA. He has told me how expensive things are in both states. I'm from CT and know full well what the cost is like to live in or near either coast in many places. But prices in Louisville are much cheaper and I can get the RAM installed for a bit over $100 here which is reasonable.
Honestly I don't know what the prices are. I do all my upgrades myself. Good thing these days there are instructional videos for everything on YouTube. Just watch the video and follow along step by step. You just need to have the right tools. Everything seems harder before you do it. Afterwards it's never as hard as you thought it would be. I'm happy you found a cheap place to do the work for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of: