Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 08:57 PM

283 posts, read 1,026,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiree253 View Post
While I don't have direct insight into what specific people were referring to as "their idea" of a Christian neighborhood, and maybe I'm wrong here.. but it just seems to me that people are searching to find something familiar and accepting while making a huge decision of relocating to a foreign place.

Being a Christian, I would like to live around people with like attitudes, beliefs, ways of living, and things in common. However I would not want to be in a strictly all Christian neighborhood because how boring would it be to never have anyone throw some spice into the mix? To never have anyone to learn things about or from.. and also.. heck (on the lighter side) without anyone in the neighborhood who was different, how as a Christian could I convert the wicked?? LOL

Anyway, my point being, maybe people are just asking to find people who are "like" they are because it's definitely a comfort zone. It's the same as another thread where a black man was asking if any black farmers were in the Western region of Kentucky. Why? because he was black and wanted to fit in, of course! That doesn't mean he ONLY wanted to live with black farmers and to exclude anyone else that didn't fall into his "group" right? Try to think of the questions about "christian neighborhoods" in the same way.

Just MHO. Desiree
Desiree,

A great post. You make a good point, and thank you for making it and pointing out a different interpretation. Maybe you're right and I'm off base and misinterpreted a post. Your post tells me that you are a great person -- thanks again!

Old 05-19-2007, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I stand corrected, and humbly apologize to you and to anyone else that was insulted by my post. That was not my intention..
blue62, I'm sorry for overreacting to your post. I am a Christian by birth, but really not by practice, and the tone of many posts lately (not so much your specific one) has gotten me on edge. I tried to delete my posts to you but it won't let me.

I'm going to have to learn to deal with these issues better when I'm there, because it sounds very different than what I'm used to here.

Old 05-19-2007, 07:38 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,793,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ic-epi View Post
blue62, I'm sorry for overreacting to your post. I am a Christian by birth, but really not by practice, and the tone of many posts lately (not so much your specific one) has gotten me on edge. I tried to delete my posts to you but it won't let me.

I'm going to have to learn to deal with these issues better when I'm there, because it sounds very different than what I'm used to here.
I don't think you've ever gone over the line, imo. We are walking a very thin line here when we get into religion. It certainly can be a touchy subject and the purpose of this forum is not to discuss religion, politics, etc.

But when someone asks if a small town is gay friendly or someone asks about a Christian neighborhood, it's very difficult to avoid discussing religion. It seems to me that most of us make a huge effort not to bring our personal feelings into the discussion and just present our beliefs as part of our opinion in our response.

Since people are using our input to make important decisions, I think we all have to give our honest opinion. Otherwise, these forums are useless. We need to be respectful of other beliefs and recognize that these opinions are just that - our opinion. (And I certainly am not singling you out, nor do not exclude myself from this - if any of my posts have offended, I promise that was not my intent.)

Sometimes that opinion may offend someone, but I don't see anyone posting comments solely to offend. Which is a very pleasant change from most forums!

I just need to remember to switch off my "combat" mode when I come here.

Old 05-19-2007, 11:49 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,753,712 times
Quote:

I am not sure if you live in bubble, but Iowa struck me as a VERY conservative place everywhere I visited, and I was mostly in Des Moines It's not like you are coming from NY. You will be fine in Lexington! I would be surprised if Iowa City is more liberal than Lexington, although I have heard its a fine town (that was one place I didn't get to see). Lex is much larger than Iowa City, and draws more transplants. There is a probably a bigoted underbelly in Lexington, but I am sure you are aware you can find that element in almost any city (well, maybe not Berkeley!)

Old 05-19-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
wow nlschr0, that's quite a story I'll definitely have to prep my husband for that. He'd have no tolerance. I would react like you did, but he would have no patience for someone trying to shove religion down his throat, whether he be stranded or not. Being stranded is no reason to be a forced audience to what you don't want to hear. My opinion, of course!

Glad to see you posting nlschr0, have missed your posts
I agree. Did you know that most Chick Fil A's play Christian music? I also know of a coffee shop in the suburbs here called Coffee Crossing that has mostly Christian magazines, and no mainstream papers like the NY Times. I don't support places like that, but if there are Christian people who like that, I certainly do not have an issue with them going there.

Old 05-19-2007, 12:03 PM

2 posts, read 4,220 times
Default WWJD-Christian Neighborhood

OK, in situations like this, I wonder what Jesus would do. I'm thinking he wouldn't specifically seek out people "like" him, he would just be the ultimate role model of compassion, non-judgement, and acceptance where ever he was and whatever neighborhood he lived in. What a wonderful world it would be if everyone had such loving acceptance of others, no matter what their religion, race, socio-economic level, beliefs, or what neighborhood they lived in.

Old 05-19-2007, 12:09 PM

2 posts, read 4,220 times
Default Berkeley?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
I am not sure if you live in bubble, but Iowa struck me as a VERY conservative place everywhere I visited, and I was mostly in Des Moines It's not like you are coming from NY. You will be fine in Lexington! I would be surprised if Iowa City is more liberal than Lexington, although I have heard its a fine town (that was one place I didn't get to see). Lex is much larger than Iowa City, and draws more transplants. There is a probably a bigoted underbelly in Lexington, but I am sure you are aware you can find that element in almost any city (well, maybe not Berkeley!)
If Berkeley doesn't have bigots, then Berkeley is heaven. People who are so open minded that they refuse to live with people who aren't, are just as bigoted as anyone else who "must" live with only like-minded people.

Old 05-19-2007, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Hey stx,

I can promise you I don't live in a bubble.

Iowa overall is very conservative, everywhere (including Des Moines). Iowa City, however, is completely different than the rest of the state. Iowa City is both politically and socially very liberal. From what you and others have said about Lexington, Iowa City is much more liberal than Lexington. And I don't have the data in front of me, but I'd bet that Iowa City draws proportionally more transpants than Lexington. Iowa City is much smaller and the university is basically the town.

Not a big deal, just trying to clear up a misconception. Thanks for your posts; I am excited about Lexington and know we will find our place there.

Old 05-19-2007, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Hey stx,

I can promise you I don't live in a bubble.

Iowa overall is very conservative, everywhere (including Des Moines). Iowa City, however, is completely different than the rest of the state. Iowa City is both politically and socially very liberal. From what you and others have said about Lexington, Iowa City is much more liberal than Lexington. And I don't have the data in front of me, but I'd bet that Iowa City draws proportionally more transpants than Lexington. Iowa City is much smaller and the university is basically the town.

Not a big deal, just trying to clear up a misconception. Thanks for your posts; I am excited about Lexington and know we will find our place there.

If you could find stats on that, I would love to see them! Overall, Lexington draws way more transplants, but you may be right that Iowa City draws proportionately more. That said, Iowa City is a very small metro of under 139,000!

FYI, Lexington is 436,000, and Louisville is 1.22 million.

Old 05-19-2007, 03:56 PM

353 posts, read 504,358 times
Okay. Okay.

Would Lexington or Louisville be better for an evangelical, conservative family? Why would Louisville NOT be a good fit? What parts of Louisville would be the best fit?

I know to avoid the Highlands. But what about St. Matthews and Anchorage? What is it like around The Summit off of Hurstborne? Are those towns generally mixed or is there is a real religious, family-oriented thrust? I found Louisville exceptionally family and faith oriented, but I only visited and certainly people who currently live there would have a truer perspective.

If Lexington would be better, why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area