Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 07:42 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,756,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlings View Post
Okay. Okay.

Would Lexington or Louisville be better for an evangelical, conservative family? Why would Louisville NOT be a good fit? What parts of Louisville would be the best fit?

I know to avoid the Highlands. But what about St. Matthews and Anchorage? What is it like around The Summit off of Hurstborne? Are those towns generally mixed or is there is a real religious, family-oriented thrust? I found Louisville exceptionally family and faith oriented, but I only visited and certainly people who currently live there would have a truer perspective.

If Lexington would be better, why?

I think the suburban areas of Louisville, and the outskirts of Lexington, are essentially similar. All US suburban areas in this region really look and act alike. The areas you mentioned are great, conservative, wholesome areas to raise families. You are right that the areas around downtown Louisville would be too liberal for you. But like any city, Louisville's suburbs are very conservative and full of families. Anywhere outside of I-264 in the Louisville metro area, including S. Indiana, would be good for you.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:30 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,466,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlschr0 View Post
Ok, here is an example that I have only encountered in KY that might explain some of the conservative-evangelical issues.

Today I had the misfortune of blowing out my tire along I-75, and I pulled into a Georgetown service station. (By the way, there were several friendly people who stopped and offered to assist me, but fortunately I didn't need it). Anyway, an older man in a truck came up and asked me if I needed assistance. I explained that I was ok, and in fact my husband would meet me shortly. He then asked if we were new to the area (my accent, maybe?), and when I said that we were fairly new, he asked if we had a "church home" and pulled out a tract advertising his church, which was a large "independent, fundamental" baptist church in the Lexington area. To me, that is ok - a friendly, neighborly gesture. THEN he proceeded to ask me if I knew where I would be spending eternity, and if I was certain of my future in heaven or hell. (Keep in mind, I'm standing in the hot sun trying to get my jack to pull up while he's talking). I was a little stunned and just said, "Sure." So he then said, "So you've accepted the Lord as your Savior and made the profession of your sins, accepting him into your heart?" At this point I was really stunned and just took the tract from his hand while turning back to the tire. He then asked me several more questions, and ended by suggesting that I pass the information along to my husband so that he could make a decision about the church.

Now, I don't want to offend anyone because I know a lot of people feel strongly about their religious background, and many people might share this particular person's beliefs. However, regardless of my personal spiritual beliefs, I was amazed and offended that a stranger could ask such personal questions of me, especially in that situation. And this is the second time in KY this has happened to me (and the first time was in a neighborhood on the east end of Louisville). I respect this man's opinions and I'm glad that he has found a place for his church home. However, I am not comfortable in this situation, and of the places I've lived, this is the first place I've experienced it - the push of a personal religious belief onto a perfect stranger who hasn't invited it.

Now, this is not normal for 99.9% of the people that I encounter in KY (including lots of conservative Christians ) But it does happen, and it is more of an accepted culture here than anywhere I've lived. So, yes, I think that a newcomer to the state should be prepared for KY's particular religous culture. I wouldn't avoid the state because of it - there are plenty of good things in KY - but I would be prepared for it. I don't think that the concerns put forth by some of the other posters are inappropriate at all.

wow, i would have to tell him exactly what i thought, and leave him frothing at the mouth ...

Old 06-18-2007, 08:40 AM

117 posts, read 518,454 times
The areas of Louisville East of I-65 was settled primarily by Bavarian immigrants who are Catholic

Areas West of I-65 were settled primarily by people from rural KY (especially South Central & Western KY) and African Americans, and are predominantly protestant

Old 06-18-2007, 09:34 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,092,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
I agree. Did you know that most Chick Fil A's play Christian music? I also know of a coffee shop in the suburbs here called Coffee Crossing that has mostly Christian magazines, and no mainstream papers like the NY Times. I don't support places like that, but if there are Christian people who like that, I certainly do not have an issue with them going there.
So does Hobby Lobby.... if you know what the songs are (instrumental) and they close on Sundays for worship :-) If you don't know the songs you won't know the difference.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:47 PM

528 posts, read 2,482,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ic-epi View Post
wow nlschr0, that's quite a story I'll definitely have to prep my husband for that. He'd have no tolerance. I would react like you did, but he would have no patience for someone trying to shove religion down his throat, whether he be stranded or not. Being stranded is no reason to be a forced audience to what you don't want to hear. My opinion, of course!
oh, c'mon - where have you people all lived that you have never been approached by over-the-top religious folks? I had it happen more when I lived in Maine than I ever have here in KY - even people coming to my front door to talk to me and hand me materials. Have experienced it on the streets of New York, in the suburbs of Boston, and in airport terminals. There are religious weirdos everywhere, just tell them you're not interested and they'll go away. Kentucky doesn't have any more of them than anywhere else.

Old 06-18-2007, 03:50 PM

688 posts, read 3,040,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toria View Post
oh, c'mon - where have you people all lived that you have never been approached by over-the-top religious folks? I had it happen more when I lived in Maine than I ever have here in KY - even people coming to my front door to talk to me and hand me materials. Have experienced it on the streets of New York, in the suburbs of Boston, and in airport terminals. There are religious weirdos everywhere, just tell them you're not interested and they'll go away. Kentucky doesn't have any more of them than anywhere else.
Religious weirdos are one thing, but normal "mr and mrs average-joe-next-door" asking about your eternal destination during casual introductions is entirely another. My experience has been much different in KY than in other places I've lived (mostly midwestern and NE). Sure, we've all seen our share of Hare Krishnas at the airport and Mormons canvassing the neighborhoods. But I know that I am not alone in my surprise of the "normal" people in KY (and in other Bible belt areas) that evangelize their beliefs during casual gatherings and situations.

That said, in my experiences in Lexington and Louisville, I have found that most people hold a range of personal beliefs and are happily living side by side with others of different beliefs, without pressing their beliefs on their neighbors. It is only the handful of others that have created these experiences. I don't think that someone has to be an extreme conservative, aggressive Christian to be happy in KY...but I do think that they should be prepared to meet some people who are.

Old 06-18-2007, 03:55 PM

332 posts, read 1,626,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlings View Post
Okay. Okay.

Would Lexington or Louisville be better for an evangelical, conservative family? Why would Louisville NOT be a good fit? What parts of Louisville would be the best fit?
Soundsl like you just need to move out to the middle of nowhere and set up your own little compound.

I honestly don't understand why so many "evangelical" Christians are so bent on isolating themselves into some homogenous little enclave. Isn't the hallmark of evangelism supposed to be "spreading the Word"? Shouldn't you be moving right into the midst of the non-believers and trying to convert them instead of avoiding them?

I'm just askin' . . .

Old 06-18-2007, 03:56 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,092,380 times
Maybe you all aren't familiar but as a Southern Baptist, we are supposed to spread the gospel. We are supposed to tell others about Christ but we are also supposed to to do so in a loving, caring manner and approach it gently. We are also supposed to develop a relationship with people first.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:40 PM

528 posts, read 2,482,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlschr0 View Post
Religious weirdos are one thing, but normal "mr and mrs average-joe-next-door" asking about your eternal destination during casual introductions is entirely another. My experience has been much different in KY than in other places I've lived (mostly midwestern and NE). Sure, we've all seen our share of Hare Krishnas at the airport and Mormons canvassing the neighborhoods. But I know that I am not alone in my surprise of the "normal" people in KY (and in other Bible belt areas) that evangelize their beliefs during casual gatherings and situations..

not referring to Hare Krishnas at the airport, just normal looking folks who engage you in conversation and then turn it to religion. It's happened to me in various places all over the country (in a former job I traveled a lot for a number of years), including New York City and Boston.

Quote:
I don't think that someone has to be an extreme conservative, aggressive Christian to be happy in KY...but I do think that they should be prepared to meet some people who are. .
Yes, they should....but KY has no lock on them, believe me.

Old 07-05-2007, 05:32 PM

4 posts, read 10,757 times
Default yes brother!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
No one is faulting the good evangelicals do. The service work, the charity, giving, etc. Most are inherently good people. However, I do have a problem with the ones who are outwardly against people for the way they live their lifestyle like homosexuality. I am also against anyone condenming people as evil or "going to hell" if they are normal, law abiding citizens. Religion taken to an extreme can be just as evil as a distorted human mind, like that of a serial killer. Look, for example, how the SMALL minority of jihadists have tarnished the Muslim faith. The fact is, Islam does not teach this behavior, but jihadists are a radical sect of people who believe in taking innocent lives in the name of God (or Allah or whatever). In the same way, evangelicals aren't bad. Frankly, I could care less what the believe in--unless it affects people's personal, democratic liberties. That, my friend, is where religion becomes dangerous.
WELL PUT stx12499. I am with you!
Peace to everyone ... YES and peace to all evangelicals that are accepting of those "new agers" like me. No bull...!

One thing I know; God does not prejudice... and not to forget there are many roads leading to the Creator.. NOT just ONE! One needs NOT be religious to have a very intimate relationship with God. Thank you stx12499 for putting it the way you did! I could not agree with you more!! I myself have experienced the going to hell accusation just because of my non religious beliefs.. It feels good to hear your words!

With that said; which is a good city in KY... (covington, Lexington, Louisville) or with the smaller ones (Bradstown, Danville, Richmond) where you will find more of the liberal new age type of people...meaning metaphysically oriented or the hippy vibe or just very liberal in terms of accepting of others and environmentally conscious?

"Universal Peace & Unity"

Last edited by New Ager!; 07-05-2007 at 05:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area