Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2007, 02:16 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,427,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
Elcarim it is sad to see any trees cut. I happen to live 10 miles from one of the largest ski areas on the east coast and 10 miles in the other direction from one of the largest paper mills in the east. Our economy relies on the management of these woodlands. Some of the best eastern white pine come from Maine. Our cold climate slows the growth of the trees which produces tight rings and the quality of the wood. Our little town (pop. 255) is still dependent on the harvesting of trees. Mead Paper sold it's woodland (665,000 acres in Maine and Northern N.H.) and then sold the mill. This allowed out of state investors to come in slaughter the timberland and then sell off the properties. The outcome was twofold-first by cutting the wood so hard there won't be a sustainable forest for at least 70 years. Secondly the paper company were excellent stewards of the land by allowing traditional use on these properties ie: hunting,fishing,snowmobiling,snowshoeing and back country skiing to name a few. Now after selling off and parceling out smaller lots we have seen more signs posted disallowing ANY use of the woods. Most landowners/loggers in our great state practice manageable forestry and responsible harvesting practices to ensure the growth of the northern woods and protect the beauty of our state.
I understand, and appreciate our need for paper products, but I don't understand or appreciate the "slaughter" of earth's forests. I said I wasn't going political on this thread, but you've hit the nail on the head so I feel the need to comment.

We need regulation and responsible planning in our harvesting practices, and the global problem could be remedied if enough attention were paid to correct it. In so many ways, including, but not limited to the devastation of our forests, we are short-changing ourselves and our children by exploiting our environmental resources. I know I'm not saying anything everyone doesn't already know, but we all have a voice and need to use it if we want a habitable planet for future generations.

That is one thing I've learned about Maine which makes it such an enticing place to raise my family. Such care and concern is given to preserve a precious way of life. The seemingly "silly" limitations on building and sprawl that would make most people roll their eyes help me to see a brighter future for my children there.

In the last 20 years, I have seen an entire forest strip 100+ miles long completely disappear and be replaced by commercial districts and subdivisions. We used to be "in the pines" from the edge of Houston to where we are now, 40 minutes north. Now, there is no division between here and downtown. When driving it, you don't have any idea where one town ends and the next begins. We're no longer going "to the country" when we head out of "town". We're just going north of downtown. It's really sad to me to see history and nature obliterated in the name of "progess".

I guess that's all I have to say about that. Thank you for your insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 02:34 PM

581 posts, read 713,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
It's really sad to me to see history and nature obliterated in the name of "progess".
I don't think "progress" is the correct term to use. It's something more related to birth control, and some would probably add immigration control, I think.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:05 PM

Default Getting ready to blog

Quote:
Thanks for the sentiments! Let's see some of you guys. Surely I'm not the only one with family pics. I like to put faces to screen names.
Ok, here I am. No laughing, please.
Attached Thumbnails
Photos of Maine-getting-ready-blog.jpg  

Old 08-15-2007, 03:24 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,427,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidoftheNorth View Post
Ok, here I am. No laughing, please.
Wow! You look SO familiar. I just can't seem to put my finger on it!

Old 08-15-2007, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Wow! You look SO familiar. I just can't seem to put my finger on it!
Keep trying.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:18 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,549,405 times
Quote:
Not to be a downer, but these great photos remind me of a pet peeve I've had for many years - roadkill. Can you imagine how much roadkill goes on every day around this country (and world)? Our roadways are a maze of slaughterhouses for wildlife. Shouldn't we be trying to do something about it?
Stop driving? We seldom see roadkill out here. The state picks them up quickly. Wardens will distribute meat from wounded animals they have to destroy.

Quote:
Some of the best eastern white pine come from Maine. Our cold climate slows the growth of the trees which produces tight rings and the quality of the wood. Our little town (pop. 255) is still dependent on the harvesting of trees.
Trees have approximately 60 growind days here. The rest of the time is spent storing energy and in dormancy.

Quote:
Most landowners/loggers in our great state practice manageable forestry and responsible harvesting practices to ensure the growth of the northern woods and protect the beauty of our state.
Their livelihood depends on best management practices in at least two ways. If they cut faster than the forest can restore itself they're out of business. And, if they don't follow BMPs many mills won't buy the logs and chips.

If I remember I'll go out into my woods and take some photos. It was harvested 10 years ago, right before we bought it. The natural regeneration and the effects on wildlife have been interesting to watch.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:10 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,106,027 times
David, I didn't know you are a twin!!

Old 08-15-2007, 07:28 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,755,211 times
Wow, Dr. David, you almost had me!!!!

Old 08-15-2007, 08:06 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,241,153 times
Quote:
Keep trying.
a young jimmy buffet?

Old 08-15-2007, 08:11 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,241,153 times
Quote:
I understand, and appreciate our need for paper products, but I don't understand or appreciate the "slaughter" of earth's forests. I said I wasn't going political on this thread, but you've hit the nail on the head so I feel the need to comment.

We need regulation and responsible planning in our harvesting practices, and the global problem could be remedied if enough attention were paid to correct it. In so many ways, including, but not limited to the devastation of our forests, we are short-changing ourselves and our children by exploiting our environmental resources. I know I'm not saying anything everyone doesn't already know, but we all have a voice and need to use it if we want a habitable planet for future generations.

That is one thing I've learned about Maine which makes it such an enticing place to raise my family. Such care and concern is given to preserve a precious way of life. The seemingly "silly" limitations on building and sprawl that would make most people roll their eyes help me to see a brighter future for my children there.

In the last 20 years, I have seen an entire forest strip 100+ miles long completely disappear and be replaced by commercial districts and subdivisions. We used to be "in the pines" from the edge of Houston to where we are now, 40 minutes north. Now, there is no division between here and downtown. When driving it, you don't have any idea where one town ends and the next begins. We're no longer going "to the country" when we head out of "town". We're just going north of downtown. It's really sad to me to see history and nature obliterated in the name of "progess".

I guess that's all I have to say about that. Thank you for your insight!
elcarim,,there are more trees in maine today, than a hundred years ago,
once you move and get settled,, here,,,take a drive north of bangor to houlton,, or get off the sherman exit and drive north (towards patten, ashland, and eventually fort kent) you will quickly see, maine is mostly trees,,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine