Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 09:24 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,369,459 times

Advertisements

Now here, a milk-shake is thick creamy ice cream shake, sometimes with Malt if you're lucky! And "Coke" may refer to DP, Pespsi, Coke or Sprite. I'll learn to specify or just ask for "soda" I guess. Thanks!

Be specific as they will ask what kind of soda you want. LOL
I know its crazy.
I know what chicken fried steak is. Hubby loves it. I make a real mean sausage gravy and biscuits myself. I also make great NC pulled pork. (recipe is a secret), and my hoppin' john is very good, if I say so myself. LOL
Some restaurants will ask if you want crumbs or batter on your clams. Stick with the crumbs, the batter is usually so thick you cannot even taste the clams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 09:28 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,114,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
Hot dogs are not covered in ANYTHING but a hot dog roll! But they are red here*- that's throws a lot of people for a loop ("Are they lobster flavored?").

I mean the REAL hot dogs, not the water-puffed cheap dogs.
And the rolls can't be bread crust all the way around....just brown across the top and bottom.....those other rolls are weird!!

hehe--lobstah flavahd!

maybe I've got to make some whoopie pies today....

and fluff is amazing....didn't know that was just a New England thing until a few years ago!

great thread!

Last edited by mollysmiles; 08-31-2007 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: fluff stuff

Old 08-31-2007, 10:05 AM

I am making whoopie pies tomorrow a.m. We're going camping in NH, and they will hit the spot.
Do not offer me a hot dog unless its one of Jordan's red dogs. Only ones fit to eat. LOL Better yet, have some good old bean hole beans to go with them. And, a big slice of brown bread to go with those.
Darn, I am having cravings now. LOLOL

Old 08-31-2007, 10:06 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,435,447 times
Ok, what's a "hoppin' John"?

We have Jet-Puffed marshmellow cream - also NOT on my diet! Jet-Puffed Marshmallow Creme, Product Reviews & Consumer Reports in Video

Old 08-31-2007, 10:18 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,114,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post

We have Jet-Puffed marshmellow cream - also NOT on my diet! Jet-Puffed Marshmallow Creme, Product Reviews & Consumer Reports in Video
lol...I don't diet....I just work a little harder at the gym and walk a little fast on the way there! so far, it's worked!!

Old 08-31-2007, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post

Hoppin' John is a southern dish. Made with black eyed peas, ham, onions, peppers, ect. Can serve it over rice. Nothing fancy but a good filling meal.
On the other hand, I can make a great fish chowdah, clam chowdah or lobster stew. Oh, cannot forget the clam fritters.....yummmmmm.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:59 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,396,072 times
There's fairly decent Greek food at "The Market Cafe" In Old Town.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:06 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,435,447 times
Almost forgot Gumbo! Do you have that? All I've heard about are the awesome chowders, but how about the shrimp,fish,okra,tomatoes, onion and Old Bay in a boiling pot of broth? Most people around here add sausage and rice, but I prefer to leave those out.

I grew up on the stuff, since my father is from Louisiana. Is it just a Southern thing?

Old 08-31-2007, 12:19 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,758,066 times
Elcarim- my daughter is a vegetarian and her sister and I are modified vegetarians ( no mammels- only fish and other seafood!)

We ate in a great in restaurant in Belfast last October. Along with great vegetarian choices, it also offered fresh veggies for sale, fresh honey and baked goods! I wish I could remember the name of it- located on the main drag in a gorgeous old remodeled buiding.
You will love it!!!!

Old 08-31-2007, 12:40 PM

37,496 posts, read 61,484,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
There's fairly decent Greek food at "The Market Cafe" In Old Town.
Wow cool, I had not heard of that one. We will have to go try it. Do you know if their gyros are goat or lamb?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine