Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 12:50 PM

263 posts, read 616,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moughie View Post
Elcarim- my daughter is a vegetarian and her sister and I are modified vegetarians ( no mammels- only fish and other seafood!)

We ate in a great in restaurant in Belfast last October. Along with great vegetarian choices, it also offered fresh veggies for sale, fresh honey and baked goods! I wish I could remember the name of it- located on the main drag in a gorgeous old remodeled buiding.
You will love it!!!!
Chase's Daily, a bakery, farmer's market, and restaurant with creative vegetarian cuisine. Main Street, Belfast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 12:52 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,752,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arzachena View Post
Chase's Daily, a bakery, farmer's market, and restaurant with creative vegetarian cuisine. Main Street, Belfast.
Thanks arzachena

Old 08-31-2007, 12:56 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,421,138 times
Oh, how cool! Can't wait to check that one out!! Thanks A.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:58 PM

263 posts, read 616,377 times
You are welcome

Old 08-31-2007, 02:04 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
We have seen folks making a big deal over bright red hotdogs. We boiled some and the water turned a dark red, they put a lot of colouring in those hotdogs.

There are a couple competing brand names of red hotdogs, and I have witnessed heated arguments as to which brand name was the best.

I expected to see more seafood restaurants here, but I guess that we live too far inland in Maine.

No Tex-Mex, very little oriental food, the American-'Italian' foods do not resemble anything served in Italy [here the 'Italian' food has a lot of sugar in it, very little olive oil, and no aged cheeses].

No Greek food.

I know one Vietnamese lady who sales Korean food out of the back of her stationwagon, she sells at markets in Orono, Bar Harbor, Blue Hill, and elsewhere. Her food is pretty good.
forest, ive seen her in my travels,,but havent stopped to eat anything yet,,any suggestions?? (the korean lady with the station-wagon)

a hot dog arguement???

the two most widely recognized brands of natural casing hot dogs, are jordans and kirschner,,(in maine), there was a kirschner hot dog plant in augusta for many many yrs,,and i believe jordans was in bangor,, they also made a jordans (rice's frank)
jordans plant closed down about 7-8 yrs ago ,,and kishcner in augusta started making the jordans,,,,,then kirschner in augusta got bought out by tyson,,so tyson now makes jordans and kirschner out of upstate new york,, and/or chicago.( i believe rice's are still made in bangor area,,possibly by w.a. bean)

old neighborhood and kayem natural casing franks have gained in popularity thru the past 5 years,,i believe hannaford stopped ,,carrying the jordans or kirscners franks,,because they would not pre-pack the hot dogs in foam trays,,
(w.a. beans out of bangor makes some good sausage dogs,,called red hots.
thier use to be a shultz hot dog,,that was very popular in southern maine/new hampshire,,,made with veal

not that im a hot dog, know it all,,ive just sold tons of these hot dogs thru the years,,

Old 08-31-2007, 02:16 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
mainebrokerman -
"forest, ive seen her in my travels,,but havent stopped to eat anything yet,,any suggestions?? (the korean lady with the station-wagon)"

She is a Vietnamese immigrant who makes Korean food, I see her every week at the Farmer's Market in Orono. Many times I setup my stall next to hers.

All of her food is great, and she often makes suggestions as to what goes along with what.

Jordans, Kirschner, Rice, Bean are all names of hot dogs that I have heard discussed.

Old 08-31-2007, 04:21 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
I have yet to find a place that serves brats, but suarkrout is a must on a dog or brat, as well as peppers, and relish.

Out here they call a hot dog bun a roll, but it is slighlty different (imagine a hot dog bun with the sides sliced off).

Other then the brats, I have yet to see anything really different.

There is also a red variety of chowder, but it is not discussed around these parts.

When I moved to Minneapolis I often wondered what the heck a hot dish was. No matter how much someone would explain it to me I just did not understand. Until about three years later when I figured out that it is what is known as a casserole to the rest of the country.

Eclarim-A friend of mine was recently in Dallas and she claims that every time she tried to order water she was brought a coke instead because "that is what everyone drinks." She also got strange looks and the "you're not from around here, are you?" from the locals for drinking a martini at a bar.

Old 08-31-2007, 04:31 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,421,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I have yet to find a place that serves brats, but suarkrout is a must on a dog or brat, as well as peppers, and relish.

Out here they call a hot dog bun a roll, but it is slighlty different (imagine a hot dog bun with the sides sliced off).

Other then the brats, I have yet to see anything really different.

There is also a red variety of chowder, but it is not discussed around these parts.

When I moved to Minneapolis I often wondered what the heck a hot dish was. No matter how much someone would explain it to me I just did not understand. Until about three years later when I figured out that it is what is known as a casserole to the rest of the country.

Eclarim-A friend of mine was recently in Dallas and she claims that every time she tried to order water she was brought a coke instead because "that is what everyone drinks." She also got strange looks and the "you're not from around here, are you?" from the locals for drinking a martini at a bar.
I'm not surprised to hear that about Dallas, and Houston would have been the same. Around the city, you find more and more people with sticks up their you know whats!

Old 08-31-2007, 04:33 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Almost forgot Gumbo! Do you have that? All I've heard about are the awesome chowders, but how about the shrimp,fish,okra,tomatoes, onion and Old Bay in a boiling pot of broth? Most people around here add sausage and rice, but I prefer to leave those out.

I grew up on the stuff, since my father is from Louisiana. Is it just a Southern thing?
Naw, I don't think you'll find much gumbo, but I make a mean jambalaya.

(And you'll be hard-pressed to find anyone that has a clue as to what okra is.)

Last edited by Zymer; 08-31-2007 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: Brain Cramp.

Old 08-31-2007, 07:40 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,362,327 times
Fried okra. YUMMMMMMMMMMM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine