Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 08:16 PM

5 posts, read 12,838 times

Advertisements

Man does this post here make me miss the food in Maine!!! Do you know that people here in Fl have no idea what a whoopie pie is?? They think I'm making it up when I talk about it. Closest thing they have here is some store bought thing called a moon pie and that is totally different. It's like marshmallow wrapped in chocolate. Nothing compared to a real whoopie pie. And man...I'd really love a whoopie pie with peanut butter frosting....those are good.
My grandmother used to make buckeyes and needhams every Christmas in Maine and people here have no idea what those are too. Are they standard in Maine or just something my grandmother did?
I made the mistake of telling a friend from a different state (think it was around Texas..not sure) that I got jimmies on my ice cream and he cracked up laughing...I guess jimmies are what they call condoms in his state. I'd just always thought they were the sprinkles you get on your ice cream cone.
And my dad and I both agree (he's a snowbird..lives in Maine half the year and Florida the other half) that Maine has the best hot dogs. Nothing beats a Bowley's hot dog. Do they still have Bowley's hot dogs in Maine?? I think they used to be in the waterville/oakland area...maybe a few other places also.
Oh..and one other thing. In Maine I always ordered hamburg on my pizza. Can't get that here either...they either say they don't have it or end up giving you sausage or seasoned crumbled meatball. How hard is it to through some hamburg on a pizza anyways??
Ok...enough of that from me. I just miss Maine food. Is Big G's sandwich place still around?? I try and make it a habit to stop there (think it's in Winslow) with someone every time I go back to visit...though it's been a few years since I've been to Big G's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 11:49 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,828,117 times
Give them a call and you can have arguably the best whoopie pies on the planet delivered to your doorstep in a couple of days.
Whoopie Pies

Old 09-01-2007, 06:23 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,241,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I have yet to find a place that serves brats, but suarkrout is a must on a dog or brat, as well as peppers, and relish.

Out here they call a hot dog bun a roll, but it is slighlty different (imagine a hot dog bun with the sides sliced off).

Other then the brats, I have yet to see anything really different.

There is also a red variety of chowder, but it is not discussed around these parts.

When I moved to Minneapolis I often wondered what the heck a hot dish was. No matter how much someone would explain it to me I just did not understand. Until about three years later when I figured out that it is what is known as a casserole to the rest of the country.

Eclarim-A friend of mine was recently in Dallas and she claims that every time she tried to order water she was brought a coke instead because "that is what everyone drinks." She also got strange looks and the "you're not from around here, are you?" from the locals for drinking a martini at a bar.

i've got that question a few times in my life "you aint from around here,,now are ya??
so, being the joker i am,,i looked around the morning cafe' with these folks gawking at me,,,and i said "no, im not" but im here in this town, trying to find my biological mother, i was givin up for adoption"
one old fella said,,i hope you find her,,some were staring in disbelief,,,but some woman,,,got a cold look on thier face,,and started staring hard,,thinking who i look like,, and 4 woman wouldnt even look at me after that,,,(thinking i struck a nerve)
i'll use this response again,,,,it works,,,keeps people from being too nosey

Old 09-01-2007, 02:44 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,427,137 times
Man, those Whoopie Pies sound SOOO good - especially the ones filled with peanut butter! I'll have to splurge on the calories for one of those!!

Old 09-01-2007, 04:15 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,086,353 times
Speaking of food...I've found my great aunt's cookbook, hand-written from the 1920s/30s. She lived on the Cutler road that goes around Holmes Bay, I don't think she ever traveled any further than Ellsworth in her whole life. Didn't even get indoor plumbing until the '70s.

I'm thinking of transcribing it and publishing it. I wonder if there would be any interest in something like that?

Old 09-01-2007, 04:21 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,903,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Speaking of food...I've found my great aunt's cookbook, hand-written from the 1920s/30s. She lived on the Cutler road that goes around Holmes Bay, I don't think she ever traveled any further than Ellsworth in her whole life. Didn't even get indoor plumbing until the '70s.

I'm thinking of transcribing it and publishing it. I wonder if there would be any interest in something like that?

Have you got a Paypal account? I'll send you my money in advance!

Old 09-01-2007, 04:57 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,427,137 times
Wow! I'd buy one. That's such an awesome idea. I have cookbooks from my great-grandmother and my grandmother that have recipes to die for!

Old 09-01-2007, 05:05 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,755,211 times
Quote:

Holy mackeral, zymer!! Of course there would be interest!! Look how famous the cookbooks of Marjorie Standish are!

Go ahead, tidy up the manuscripts ( or put them into word form) and contact
DownEast Books or Winter Harbor Press. There are all sorts of food blogs, including a great international one : Ya Rayi Our Rai (http://mybookofrai.typepad.com - broken link)

You got yourself a potential gold mine there!! Not to speak of the important historical signification of such a book. On top of that, you have the priceless familial connection to the author and a glimpse into her world around Holmes Bay.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:28 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,106,027 times
Quote:

I would LOVE it! I have a thing for old cookbooks....you should Zymer, many people I know would consider that such a treasure---including me!

Old 09-02-2007, 10:24 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,086,353 times
Excellent, that will probably be a good project for the Winter. I've saved this page so I'll remember who liked the idea...maybe I can give you all copies in return for some editing assistance- what 's good and not so good, and conversions to modern appliances. As well as not having any indoor plumbing until the '70s, all of the cooking was done with a wood-fired kitchen range until then. Fortunately I have one that I still use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine