Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2022, 11:29 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,678,521 times

Advertisements

There is a vigorous market for Amish made prefab homes or shells. Some people buy the shell and do their own insulating. wiring and interior walls. The market is so busy that we are seeing one unit behind another unit when going to close destinations. Some of these are 14 feet wide and need chase vehicles. Some are recreational, but most are either starter homes or retirement homes. Not to leave out local builders, they are also joining the small prefab home market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2022, 09:02 PM

20,026 posts, read 20,839,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
There is a vigorous market for Amish made prefab homes or shells. Some people buy the shell and do their own insulating. wiring and interior walls. The market is so busy that we are seeing one unit behind another unit when going to close destinations. Some of these are 14 feet wide and need chase vehicles. Some are recreational, but most are either starter homes or retirement homes. Not to leave out local builders, they are also joining the small prefab home market.
Same here in upstate NY.
The Amish shed business is off the hook.
Although, they’re not all authentic “Amish”. Some shed companies just market them as Amish as a sales gimmick I suppose. And, some places are now selling them insulated, wired & plumbed.
And totally customizable to order. Yeah it’s become really popular for weekend warriors/camps etc…
Pretty affordable and convenient too. Truck pulls up “where you want it?” And they plop it down and they’re on their way lol

Old 11-14-2022, 06:22 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,857,191 times
Just thought I would share this little story and help bump this thread back up to the top.

So my DW and I have been looking for some land here in Maine, We are recent empty nesters currently living in Lewiston and really want to down size and get away from the noise of the city. It's been slim pickings and very high prices for the last few years. We finally found a really nice lot in Farmington 13+ acres for $40,000 nice views, part field, part woods with a stream as a border, It was perfect!
Then I got the disclosure... The deal breaker for us was the minimum dwelling size set at 1600 sqft!
That's bigger than our current house by 50ft!

So I guess the search will continue.

Old 11-14-2022, 08:14 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,695,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
Just thought I would share this little story and help bump this thread back up to the top.

So my DW and I have been looking for some land here in Maine, We are recent empty nesters currently living in Lewiston and really want to down size and get away from the noise of the city. It's been slim pickings and very high prices for the last few years. We finally found a really nice lot in Farmington 13+ acres for $40,000 nice views, part field, part woods with a stream as a border, It was perfect!
Then I got the disclosure... The deal breaker for us was the minimum dwelling size set at 1600 sqft!
That's bigger than our current house by 50ft!

So I guess the search will continue.
Now why would that kind of house size be a requirement and who would establish that, the town ordinance? Not sure why..? To prevent buyers from build tiny homes?

Old 11-14-2022, 08:40 AM

37,453 posts, read 61,373,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
Now why would that kind of house size be a requirement and who would establish that, the town ordinance? Not sure why..? To prevent buyers from build tiny homes?
Quote:
Most states have adopted building and zoning codes from the International Residential Code (IRC). The IRC codes require that all homes must be built on a minimum of 320 square feet.
Quote:
Maine
Local jurisdictions that allow tiny homes still require one room at least 120 square feet and other habitable rooms to be at least 70 square feet.
Cities, towns, and counties have the freedom to reject tiny homes based on previous codes established. Local ordinances need to be checked for square footage requirements.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...-size-by-state

Old 11-14-2022, 09:26 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,239,796 times
Quote:
Must be deed restrictions, put in place by a previous owner.

Old 11-14-2022, 11:08 AM

Quote:
I don't believe that it's a town ordinance, It looks like the land was part of a large farm in the past, and when the owners or more likely there heirs took over and decided to sell they broke it up into lots and added the restriction as a way to keep out the riff raff, and increase the value.
There were several other restrictions, No farm animals of any kind, even chickens, No out buildings, No garages unless they are attached to the main dwelling, You can park a camper on the land but it can't be occupied, etc

Here's a link to the discloser
https://www.flexmls.com/cgi-bin/main...an=81024&cid=1

Old 11-14-2022, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Must be deed restrictions, put in place by a previous owner.
Yes , That's what I'm thinking.

I have to wonder are these restrictions forever? can the town ever change them?

Old 11-14-2022, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Yes , That's what I'm thinking.

I have to wonder are these restrictions forever? can the town ever change them?
Not up to the town, if a subdivison, it's in the plan that was approved by the town. If a private owner, maybe it can be changed...

Old 11-14-2022, 11:27 AM

Quote:
I don't believe that it's a town ordinance, It looks like the land was part of a large farm in the past, and when the owners or more likely there heirs took over and decided to sell they broke it up into lots and added the restriction as a way to keep out the riff raff, and increase the value.
There were several other restrictions, No farm animals of any kind, even chickens, No out buildings, No garages unless they are attached to the main dwelling, You can park a camper on the land but it can't be occupied, etc

Here's a link to the discloser
https://www.flexmls.com/cgi-bin/main...an=81024&cid=1
In this case. if all the other property owners of the subdivision were ok with changes, then it would have to go before the town again to be approved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine