Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2022, 11:42 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,855,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
In this case. if all the other property owners of the subdivision were ok with changes, then it would have to go before the town again to be approved.
I'm no longer interested in the property. Sadly these kinds of restrictions are everywhere in southern and Mid Maine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2022, 03:50 PM

12,368 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
I don't believe that it's a town ordinance, It looks like the land was part of a large farm in the past, and when the owners or more likely there heirs took over and decided to sell they broke it up into lots and added the restriction as a way to keep out the riff raff, and increase the value.
There were several other restrictions, No farm animals of any kind, even chickens, No out buildings, No garages unless they are attached to the main dwelling, You can park a camper on the land but it can't be occupied, etc

Here's a link to the discloser
https://www.flexmls.com/cgi-bin/main...an=81024&cid=1
I ran into something similar in Camden maybe 5 years ago - it was a real nice lot, in a real nice neighborhood, and it was offered for quite an attractive price.... then I discovered the restrictions:
- the lot was being sold by a builder who had several lots on the street, and you needed to work with that builder - that might be no bargain
- the house needed to be at least 2,400 sq ft above ground
- the siding had to be either brick, cedar clapboard or cedar shakes
- assorted other esthetic requirements I don't recall now

...I didn't buy it, and I don't recall exactly what the address was, but with even with all this buyer demand and the attractive price, I see that he's still got at least one of the lots left, and there were never more than a handful, so it's been slow going, but I guess he's not in a hurry.

I think he was doing that as you say "to keep the riffraff out", and also to keep the property values high there. Definitely need to do your due diligence before buying land - there's more unknowns and more risks there than when just buying an existing house.

Old 12-20-2022, 06:48 PM

Default Charming 1-bedroom

So this is just a 1-bedroom house, and it's not the simplest possible shape - a box. That said, I think it's got a lot going for it. It's nice looking, small, but not too small at 841 sq ft and still a relatively simple shape. It has a decent sized bedroom and bedroom closet, modest but big-enough sitting room, dining area and laundry room, and they put the laundry appliances on an outside wall as they should be. There are nice porches both front and rear that aren't too small to be usable - you've got some decent depth @ 7ft4in. In short, this little place offers a lot of living for 841 sq ft. A lot of these smaller designs - I can't even figure out where you're going to put a modest sized dining or sitting group of furniture - no such problems here.

https://www.architecturaldesigns.com...ottage-44022td

Old 12-20-2022, 06:58 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
So this is just a 1-bedroom house, and it's not the simplest possible shape - a box. That said, I think it's got a lot going for it. It's nice looking, small, but not too small at 841 sq ft and still a relatively simple shape. It has a decent sized bedroom and bedroom closet, modest but big-enough sitting room, dining area and laundry room, and they put the laundry appliances on an outside wall as they should be. There are nice porches both front and rear that aren't too small to be usable - you've got some decent depth @ 7ft4in. In short, this little place offers a lot of living for 841 sq ft. A lot of these smaller designs - I can't even figure out where you're going to put a modest sized dining or sitting group of furniture - no such problems here.

I must agree with all that you have said.

I have a complaint about the heating system design, but it is minor.

I am certain that most people would love living in such a house.

Old 12-20-2022, 10:09 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
Quote:

I like that one but I would move the kitchen wall over so I could have a larger kitchen and a smaller dining area. I don't have large groups over so no need for a large dining room.

Old 12-21-2022, 05:49 AM

4,830 posts, read 3,259,357 times
Quote:

That's cute. Having recently downsized to a bit 1000sf, what I saw immediately was the lack of closet space anywhere other than the bedroom. I suppose you take a piece of that and put a closet directly in front of the entry.

Old 12-21-2022, 06:46 AM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
That's cute. Having recently downsized to a bit 1000sf, what I saw immediately was the lack of closet space anywhere other than the bedroom. I suppose you take a piece of that and put a closet directly in front of the entry.
I thought the same thing. There's also room for some sort of storage in the bathroom.

Old 12-22-2022, 06:46 AM

5,759 posts, read 11,358,171 times
I live in a 50 sq meter / 520 sq ft 1 BR apartment, so no problem for me living in a small space. The 840 sq ft cottage is a pretty good design with 1 exception IMO - the kitchen does not have any windows to the outside. I like having good natural light in the kitchen. My apartment has a nearly 3' wide x 4' tall north facing kitchen window and it is great. Maybe a skylight for the kitchen would help. I see how they use the utility room as the back porch entrance and mud room, which is not a bad idea. I agree with rodentraiser that the relatively large size of the dining room is overkill for a small cottage. I would also get rid of separate shower and tub, and just have a tub-sized shower stall.

Old 12-22-2022, 02:28 PM

10 posts, read 7,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
There is a vigorous market for Amish made prefab homes or shells. Some people buy the shell and do their own insulating. wiring and interior walls.

I just bought one of them. They are made with 2x4 walls, therefore the best insulation I can put
is an R-15.

I am curious if anybody know how good/bad is that level of insulation in northern Maine winter ?
Can you stay comfortable with only 3.5" of insulation ? Any recommendation ?

Thank you,
Faber

Old 12-22-2022, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaberumHyperboreus View Post
I just bought one of them. They are made with 2x4 walls, therefore the best insulation I can put
is an R-15.

I am curious if anybody know how good/bad is that level of insulation in northern Maine winter ?
Can you stay comfortable with only 3.5" of insulation ? Any recommendation ?

Thank you,
Faber
If you're in an area where MUBEC codes are being enforced, my understanding is that they follow the IECC 2015 insulation requirements for new residential buildings, which for framed wood walls, look like:
  • R20 in walls + R5 continuous external
  • R13 in walls + R10 continuous external

This continuous external insulation is e.g. rigid foam or mineral wool panels.
See:
https://www.ase.org/sites/ase.org/fi..._2015_iecc.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine