Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2022, 03:24 PM

708 posts, read 1,295,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Thanks, I'll look into that area! And to clarify, I didn't mean the cinema thing literally - it was just supposed to paint a picture of what I'm imagining, as far as the "vibe" of a town. I rarely even go to the movies, especially since COVID.
Frederick MD would be a good fit I think. The downtown area is kind of cool and the people are nice, which is my primary criteria for living somewhere. There is a MARC train to DC and you're pretty much in a more rural area but it doesn't feel like it. I moved here from Boulder and I like it much better, primarily because of the nature and the people. You sound like you will fit right in, however I live in the city of Frederick which is more liberal, but the surrounding areas are somewhat more conservative. Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2022, 08:47 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Shepherdstown West Virginia is a nice college town, not too far from the train line into DC. However, if it is too far away, I'd also vote for Frederick, which has Hood College.

Old 05-02-2022, 12:48 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Apparently I need to check out Frederick! Looks cute from what I can see online… and I’ve also been exploring some of the small towns nearby, like Burkittsville.

Seems weird to think of living in West Virginia, but I guess why not? So I’ll add that to the list too.

Old 05-02-2022, 02:20 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Frederick is a nice place and I think you (OP) would enjoy spending time there. But it’s a small city, and you said you’re looking for something more rural. Urbana might possibly work for you. Or, if you’re looking for something really rural but still accessible, look at places along or near Route 340 like Burkittsville or Point of Rocks or Brunswick. West Virginia as a whole is quite conservative, but from what I understand, Shepherdstown is much bluer than the state’s average.

Old 05-02-2022, 08:31 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Frederick is a nice place and I think you (OP) would enjoy spending time there. But it’s a small city, and you said you’re looking for something more rural. Urbana might possibly work for you. Or, if you’re looking for something really rural but still accessible, look at places along or near Route 340 like Burkittsville or Point of Rocks or Brunswick. West Virginia as a whole is quite conservative, but from what I understand, Shepherdstown is much bluer than the state’s average.

Urbana is even more Suburbia than Frederick. Because it is not an incorporated municipality it has become a huge conglomeration of shopping centers, Town house and single family house laid out for the maximum profit of developers. Middletown is a nice area. Even the 'tract homes on the edges of town have good size lots (1/2 acre in town, 2-5 acres outside of town.) There is now a nice selections of restaurants in the town now. Movie theaters in this area are only found in multiplexes in shopping centers on the edge of Frederick, smaller independent ones just can't survive outside the major metro areas. There is theater and culture 'just over the mountain' (really just the Braddock Heights ridge line that is a 600 foot rise) in Frederick

All of the Eastern panhandle is 'bluer' than the state as a whole. It is also the richest part of the state and seen as a pocket to pick by state government to fund the rest of the state. Also I would not want my children or grandchildren to be educated in the poorly funded West Virginia public education system.

Last edited by MidValleyDad; 05-02-2022 at 08:41 PM..

Old 05-02-2022, 10:22 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Urbana is even more Suburbia than Frederick. Because it is not an incorporated municipality it has become a huge conglomeration of shopping centers, Town house and single family house laid out for the maximum profit of developers. Middletown is a nice area. Even the 'tract homes on the edges of town have good size lots (1/2 acre in town, 2-5 acres outside of town.) There is now a nice selections of restaurants in the town now. Movie theaters in this area are only found in multiplexes in shopping centers on the edge of Frederick, smaller independent ones just can't survive outside the major metro areas. There is theater and culture 'just over the mountain' (really just the Braddock Heights ridge line that is a 600 foot rise) in Frederick

All of the Eastern panhandle is 'bluer' than the state as a whole. It is also the richest part of the state and seen as a pocket to pick by state government to fund the rest of the state. Also I would not want my children or grandchildren to be educated in the poorly funded West Virginia public education system.
Appreciate the input, and I will keep all of this in mind! Just fyi, though - schooling won’t be an issue, since I’m childfree and likely to stay that way (considering I’m 45 years old).

Old 05-03-2022, 05:26 AM

16,273 posts, read 10,395,161 times
The first place I thought of was Frederick too. It's a lovely town of about 60,000 and right outside of town it's country very quickly. It's also much more accessible to where your family is with better options for a part time job than say West Virginia. There are also very nice towns nearby such as New Market or Mount Airy for that matter, depending on what you are looking for. I'd also agree that it's best that you rent 1st but with 2 dogs that could be an issue.

Old 05-03-2022, 07:22 AM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
^^^ And three cats. I think that's going to be the difficult, or impossible, part.

Old 05-03-2022, 08:32 AM

123 posts, read 108,079 times
Frederick gets a lot of love for good reason. But may be a little 'big' for you based on your initial description. It's also a steadily-growing area.

I'd also throw out Sykesville as a potential spot for a more 'rural' environment. It has a very small but nice little main street. I used to work nearby and have always liked the town.

Brunswick might also be close to what you're thinking. It's pretty small with some restaurants and cafes. It's always seemed a little more rundown though. I camped nearby a few times.

Unfortunately in the heart of MD those bucolic 'Main Street' MD towns are hard to find.

Old 05-03-2022, 11:34 AM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Leonardtown.
https://leonardtown.somd.com/
Solomon's.
https://www.baydreaming.com/destinat...land-maryland/
Chesapeake Beach.
https://www.chesapeakebeachmd.gov/about
North Beach.
https://www.northbeachmd.org/welcome-north-beach
Charlotte Hall.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_Hall,_Maryland
LaPlata.
https://townoflaplata.org/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland