Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2022, 10:46 PM

23,619 posts, read 18,749,452 times

Advertisements

This one happened near Hillman and Summer Streets, not far from whatever those projects are off Rte. 6 (and near the KFC). Rough area.

https://turnto10.com/news/local/new-...-march-21-2022

"NEW BEDFORD, Mass. (WJAR) — New Bedford police blocked off a street Monday night as they investigated a homicide.
NBC 10's Cal Dymowski reports that a man was shot to death in New Bedford.

"A male victim was shot at around 6 pm today in the area of Hillman and Summer streets," a statement from the Bristol County district attorney said. "Investigation very active right now.""

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMycKwgOjJo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2022, 06:24 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,286,736 times
My piano teacher when I was a little kid lived in a Victorian on that block of Hillman Street. That’s a middle class neighborhood. Sketchy starts a half dozen blocks north of there at the Parker Street school headed towards Weld Square. The projects where the 1970 race riots were is on the other side of County Street well west of there where “Fort Kempton” used to be. It’s not leafy suburbia but that block of Hillman Street is normally pretty safe. When South Coast Rail shows up in 18 months, that’s a 5 minute walk to the train station. It’s pretty likely to gentrify.

Old 03-23-2022, 07:19 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,050,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
My piano teacher when I was a little kid lived in a Victorian on that block of Hillman Street. That’s a middle class neighborhood. Sketchy starts a half dozen blocks north of there at the Parker Street school headed towards Weld Square. The projects where the 1970 race riots were is on the other side of County Street well west of there where “Fort Kempton” used to be. It’s not leafy suburbia but that block of Hillman Street is normally pretty safe. When South Coast Rail shows up in 18 months, that’s a 5 minute walk to the train station. It’s pretty likely to gentrify.
I had the same thought. The immediate area around Hillman/Summer isn't bad at all. However, it's only a few blocks from Temple Landing and that not-so-great stretch of Rt. 6, so it's certainly possible for spillover.

Old 03-23-2022, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

I meant the area around Rte. 6/G.A.R. Hwy.. I don't know about a couple blocks north of there.

Old 03-23-2022, 08:11 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,286,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I meant the area around Rte. 6/G.A.R. Hwy.. I don't know about a couple blocks north of there.
I’m confused about cross streets. The part of Hillman I was thinking of is downhill/east from County. The shooting was a block west of County so I’m talking about Hillman Street 2 or 3 blocks east of the shooting. Fort Kempton was west of Cottage Street. That project was razed and reconstructed within the last 10 years so it doesn’t look like a war zone. A block west of County on Hillman Street isn’t as good a neighborhood as on the hill east of County headed towards the waterfront.

New Bedford has very abrupt transitions. Towards the waterfront from County Street is middle class. West of County on Kempton Street as you cross Cottage Street was the 1970 war zone.

Old 04-03-2022, 07:50 PM

What is going on there in Nu Beige? I feel like every week there's another shooting or whatnot.

Anyway, two people were shot last night in the area of Acushnet Ave. and Blackmer St.. That is in a rough area of the South End, a couple blocks from those projects on South 1st St.

Two people shot early Sunday morning in New Bedford

https://www.wpri.com/news/local-news...n-new-bedford/

"NEW BEDFORD, Mass. (WPRI) — New Bedford police are investigating after two people were shot early Sunday morning.
Around 4 a.m., patrol units were called for a shots fired incident in the area of Acushnet Ave. and Blackmer St.
When they arrived on scene, officers found one person suffering from gunshot wounds.
A second victim then arrived at an area hospital a short time later.
Both victims, who are not being identified aT this time, are being treated for non-life threatening injuries."

Old 11-13-2022, 10:38 PM

North End, a block off Acushnet Ave..

16-year-old girl killed in New Bedford shooting

https://www.wpri.com/news/local-news...ford-shooting/

Old 03-01-2023, 08:04 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,050,536 times
Sorry about the paywall but if you have a subscription, this is a pretty interesting and in-depth read about an alleged informant in New Bedford. It goes into relative detail about trafficking in the area, the police response, and all of the gray area.

Old 06-03-2023, 01:57 PM

Shots fired on Brock Ave. (far South End). At least 9 shell casings were found, as well as a vehicle being shot up.

Police respond to report of shots fired in New Bedford

https://www.wpri.com/news/local-news...n-new-bedford/

Old 06-06-2023, 11:47 AM

17,774 posts, read 9,221,778 times
Police investigating shots-fired incident at New Bedford bar

Whiskey Lounge on Acushnet Ave

Street View: https://goo.gl/maps/azoKpTdkU7GMGjkN9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7For89SuyQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts