Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2023, 01:45 PM

23,619 posts, read 18,749,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I don't think it's the worst in a 15 mile radius, let alone New England. The Flint Village (Pleasant St. in particular) in Fall River is a good deal more hopeless feeling in my opinion - more vacant storefronts, lower concentration of business, more vacant lots where buildings once stood, etc. Acushnet Ave. have bakeries, markets, barber shops, salons, shops, restaurants, bars, etc. that regular people use on a daily basis. Nobody is going to mistake it for Newbury Street, but it's at least functional for the population it serves (and beyond). There are "business districts" that don't even do that anymore (take a ride down Brightman St. in Fall River sometime - formerly a small business district, now completely dead).

Abandoned does not = dirty. I stand by what I said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2023, 03:00 PM

12,874 posts, read 22,050,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Abandoned does not = dirty. I stand by what I said.
You said "rundown and dirty." I'll certainly grant that The Ave. is full of buildings and storefronts that haven't seen aesthetic upgrades since the 1970s, but I think dated buildings and storefronts that are mostly occupied by businesses that people use look a lot less "rundown" than neighborhoods full of boarded up storefronts and overgrown lots where buildings once stood. And there are plenty of the latter all over New England. I'll take worn/functional over less-worn/abandoned, but maybe that's just me.

As far as "dirty" goes - if you say so, I guess? I'm not sure how to quantify "dirty," let alone compare it to every other city/town in New England. I've never personally felt The Ave. was "dirty" in a way that seemed worse than any other old industrial city or mill town in New England.

Old 06-26-2023, 03:27 PM

583 posts, read 1,325,198 times
There is a lot of trash in the area. But trash can be seen as a measure of business activity and population density, the neighborhood is hustling and bustling. And NB population density is more like NYC in some neighborhoods. The trash pick up is the same as anywhere else, and if you don't recycle properly you can get a fine.

But many people do litter. Yet people pick it up. It comes, it goes. Yesterday it's was the same crap you put in your mouth in the suburbs, except the little wrappers end up on the street. It's just little wrappers and plastic bottles and cans. But they are crushed in the pavement, and blown by the wind. Elsewhere it is burned and taken for granted.

Last edited by Saltatrix; 06-26-2023 at 03:40 PM..

Old 06-27-2023, 06:29 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,286,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltatrix View Post
There is a lot of trash in the area. But trash can be seen as a measure of business activity and population density, the neighborhood is hustling and bustling. And NB population density is more like NYC in some neighborhoods. The trash pick up is the same as anywhere else, and if you don't recycle properly you can get a fine.

But many people do litter. Yet people pick it up. It comes, it goes. Yesterday it's was the same crap you put in your mouth in the suburbs, except the little wrappers end up on the street. It's just little wrappers and plastic bottles and cans. But they are crushed in the pavement, and blown by the wind. Elsewhere it is burned and taken for granted.

It used to be that avós would be out sweeping the sidewalks and keeping the multifamily Portuguese neighborhoods spotless. Big chunks of that have shifted to Section 8 rentals. The former owners sold to investors and fled to the suburbs or the single family home parts of New Bedford like the North End and the West End.

Saltatrix.... A fun fighting fish but pretty challenging to make it edible. Once every couple of years, I smoke some and make a cream cheese-based pate with it. As a little kid, I used to fish off the fuel dock for snapper blues with cheap fresh water gear. Zebco spinning rod with 4 pound test monofilament line with a bobber & sinker and live minnows as bait. A 6" bluefish fights like crazy. That would keep me entertained for hours.

Old 06-27-2023, 08:17 AM

583 posts, read 1,325,198 times
I am one of those multi-family homeowners, and what is discussed here just isn't reflective of the neighborhood. There is a good thing going here, what will could ruin isn't wrappers on the ground. Many of the houses on my block are still family-owned, though as you note the neighborhood like everywhere is fighting a trend. Today happens to be trash day, the Ave looked quite clean actually. Many of the people who litter are outsiders coming in to the area to go out on the Ave, or intransient renters on the move.

Regarding bluefish: When I was 15 I was lucky enough to troll around Block Island all day on a little Whaler. A meager one was caught and roasted with mayo and chopped onions. An old BI recipe the captain said, I have never veared from. My husband and I agree it is one of the best tasting fish (which incidentally the Portuguese fish market down the street turn up their noses to and won't even sell). Bluefish is absolutely delicious. But hey there are snobs of all kinds wherever you go.
Attached Thumbnails
Another shooting in New Bedford-ave.jpg  

Last edited by Saltatrix; 06-27-2023 at 08:26 AM..

Old 07-03-2023, 07:44 AM

17,774 posts, read 9,221,778 times
Another person has been shot to death in New Bedford.

Belleville Avenue & Tallman Street

Street View: https://goo.gl/maps/QYtjV42cufTEZvHW7

New Bedford police investigating homicide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZrHnVpdv0w

Old 07-03-2023, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Another person has been shot to death in New Bedford.

Belleville Avenue & Tallman Street

Street View: https://goo.gl/maps/QYtjV42cufTEZvHW7

New Bedford police investigating homicide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZrHnVpdv0w

Not far from the Market Basket.

These look like some upstanding citizens right here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6593...8192?entry=ttu

Old 07-03-2023, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Not far from the Market Basket.

These look like some upstanding citizens right here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6593...8192?entry=ttu

What am I missing? I just see 2 cars.

Old 07-03-2023, 11:36 AM

Quote:

Let's put it this way, would you move next door to those cars (even without seeing their owners)?

Old 07-03-2023, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Let's put it this way, would you move next door to those cars (even without seeing their owners)?
I wouldn't want to live anywhere in New Bedford.

What's going on here?

https://goo.gl/maps/yU3nNhfoRWuRuka89

https://goo.gl/maps/Srghoc4ies52UpRr7
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts