Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2023, 11:26 AM

16,323 posts, read 8,150,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
How in the world would someone have postpartum depression without being postpartum (have a kid)?
Is that all you take away from this? lol. Just here to give me crap again?

Women who have PPD often have a history of depression before having kids. Someone who has depression prior to giving birth is watched more closely for PPD.

Why on earth someone who had PPD with two kids would go on to have a 3rd is kind of madding. People are selfish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2023, 11:36 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
It sounds like some people have no idea they even have PPD or any type of depression until they have kids which is scary.
Quote:
Is that all you take away from this? lol. Just here to give me crap again?

Women who have PPD often have a history of depression before having kids. Someone who has depression prior to giving birth is watched more closely for PPD.

Why on earth someone who had PPD with two kids would go on to have a 3rd is kind of madding. People are selfish.
You're the one that made the statement that "it looks like some people have no idea they even have PPD" "until they have kids". Not me.

It falls into the realm of a "self evident truth'" if there ever was one since it is downright impossible to happen otherwise.

Old 01-27-2023, 11:37 AM

Welp then people who have PPD should stop having kids. You want to go at it? Let's go.

Old 01-27-2023, 12:33 PM

779 posts, read 876,821 times
I was just listening to a podcast where the host just had her third baby via surrogate given her history with PPD. I realize that a surrogate is cost prohibitive to the vast majority of families, however a history of PPD is a HUGE factor when considering family expansion. I don't have the answers, but this woman was a L&D nurse who recognized her history of postpartum depression/anxiety, had worked with a therapist previously, was monitoring her symptoms, and may or may not have actively getting therapy leading up to this. Now two of her kids are dead. It's horrific.

I have a close friend who is an epidemiologist who studies depression including PPP. She says that with most psychotic disorders the patient struggles in many ways that are pretty obvious. But with PPP, the person can be pleasant and seem normal except for delusions that present themselves like schizophrenia. I wonder if she was still in a psychotic state when she regained consciousness...I'm not sure how long it takes to come out of that or if she realizes what she's done.

Old 01-27-2023, 12:36 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
Quote:
PPD is super common with almost 15% of pregnancies resulting in a diagnosis (and likely more who aren't diagnosed). A teeny tiny number of people end up with PPP, and there's not necessarily a strong correlation of one leading to the other. You can even have both at once. For PPP, the strongest risk factor is bipolar disorder (which 4.4% of the population has). We don't know if that was the case with this mom. Even with PPD, depression isn't as huge of a risk factor as you'd think. Having depression or anxiety DURING pregnancy are big risk factors, which of course you couldn't know until you were in it.

In a similar way to how every pregnant woman meeting with a psychiatrist before and after isn't realistic, it's not realistic to say that because you're one of the 1 in 7 that you shouldn't have kids in case you're part of the 1 in 500. Or the 1 in 100,000 who is so severe that your altered reality leads to you killing your kids.

With things like PPP, I think but for the grace of G-d go I. We can tear apart her decisions but the reality is that it's unlikely any of us would have made different ones on such a remote chance of something happening. No one would ever have kids if that was the case. I've never experienced altered reality or hallucinations, and hope I never will. And I can't imagine living the rest of my life knowing that my children are dead and that it was all my fault during a moment of psychosis where I was literally and completely out of my mind.

Old 01-27-2023, 12:43 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
I was just listening to a podcast where the host just had her third baby via surrogate given her history with PPD. I realize that a surrogate is cost prohibitive to the vast majority of families, however a history of PPD is a HUGE factor when considering family expansion. I don't have the answers, but this woman was a L&D nurse who recognized her history of postpartum depression/anxiety, had worked with a therapist previously, was monitoring her symptoms, and may or may not have actively getting therapy leading up to this. Now two of her kids are dead. It's horrific.

I have a close friend who is an epidemiologist who studies depression including PPP. She says that with most psychotic disorders the patient struggles in many ways that are pretty obvious. But with PPP, the person can be pleasant and seem normal except for delusions that present themselves like schizophrenia. I wonder if she was still in a psychotic state when she regained consciousness...I'm not sure how long it takes to come out of that or if she realizes what she's done.
I heard that her husband said she was having a good day when he went and got food for dinner. He was gone for 25 min and came back to find all that.

It is hard for me to understand why at 32 with her issues, 2 young kids, a career that sounds fulfilling and rewarding, she decided to have a 3rd kid..at that time. I'm not saying never have another if that's truly what she wanted, but it didn't seem like a good time with all she had on her plate. At 32, she had time...so I kind of wonder if it was an accidental pregnancy.

To be fair I've also wondered why Ana/Brian Walshe felt the need to have a 3rd kid with all they had on their plate. Kids don't make anything easier!

Old 01-27-2023, 01:13 PM

531 posts, read 424,880 times
A friend of mine works as an LICSW and told me that many women don't start showing signs of mental illness until their mid twenties or even sometimes into their early thirties. A lot of people assume these things start happening in adolescence or teenage years, but for women it can sometimes be much later.

As far as having 3 kids, I have no idea if this is true, but I read somewhere that 3 kids is the new status symbol in the way that 2 kids used to be. (2 kids, white picket fence, blah, blah, blah) Basically, if you can afford 3 kids in these tough financial times, you've officially made it. Again, who really knows if there's any truth to that but I can kind of see it...

Old 01-27-2023, 01:24 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy11 View Post
A friend of mine works as an LICSW and told me that many women don't start showing signs of mental illness until their mid twenties or even sometimes into their early thirties. A lot of people assume these things start happening in adolescence or teenage years, but for women it can sometimes be much later.

As far as having 3 kids, I have no idea if this is true, but I read somewhere that 3 kids is the new status symbol in the way that 2 kids used to be. (2 kids, white picket fence, blah, blah, blah) Basically, if you can afford 3 kids in these tough financial times, you've officially made it. Again, who really knows if there's any truth to that but I can kind of see it...
That wouldn't surprise me at ALL on the 3 kids thing being a status symbol or something, thank you for mentioning it! I have noticed quite a few women popping out a 3rd kid at 40 or even over. One of my co workers announced her 3rd pregnancy at work and a very liberal male co worker goes, on purpose? lol. And guess what, this woman was upset when she found out she was having a boy, she was hoping for a girl!

Another family friend had been having marital issues, lots of money though and next thing you knew she was pregnant with a 3rd at 39. No idea if baby #3 helped the marriage but they are still together. I know of many examples like this.

I was done at 2. I didn't start having kids until I was almost 36 and two was enough for me. I see pictures of babies and think of what it would be like to have one more and I just don't feel the need or want to have one (i'm also 44 now which plays a big part). When I lived in the city i noticed smaller families, people having 1 or 2 kids...or none. But now that I'm out in the burbs I notice many families with 3 kids, sometimes 4. And these people love posting all over social media of what they and their kids are doing all over the place. Part of the image thing i guess.

Old 01-27-2023, 01:44 PM

10,006 posts, read 15,653,607 times
The baby died this morning.

Old 01-27-2023, 01:47 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
The baby died this morning.
Oh no, I just saw this. I've been hearing the mother is a quadriplegic now also. So awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts