Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2023, 05:49 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,831,257 times

Advertisements

Cars you love, cars you love to hate, cars you pay cash for, cars you finance.....share your thoughts here so mods don't get mad about car posts on other threads
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2023, 05:58 PM

For anyone who bought a new car recently and thinks they are cheaper than buying one that's a few years old w/low mileage....what's your model, monthly car payment and loan term?

Old 05-11-2023, 06:04 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,806,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
For anyone who bought a new car recently and thinks they are cheaper than buying one that's a few years old w/low mileage....what's your monthly car payment and loan term?
Bought one less than a year ago. Due to production issues a used one was nearly the same price as a new one. The new one qualified for a $3500 state EV incentive and had lower finance rates than used (2.49%). I put down the amount of the incentive and financed. Really happy to have the cash earning over 4% with Marcus instead of spent on paying up front.

2022 Bolt EUV, 72mo, $360. If I bought a new one today it would also be eligible for an additional $7500 federal tax credit, so foolish to buy used.

If the rates tank or I just feel like it I could cut a check the same day.

Last edited by wolfgang239; 05-11-2023 at 06:18 PM..

Old 05-11-2023, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
Bought one less than a year ago. Due to production issues a used one was nearly the same price as a used one. The new one qualified for a $3500 state EV incentive and had lower finance rates than used (2.49%). I put down the amount of the incentive and financed. Really happy to have the cash earning over 4% with Marcus instead of spent on paying up front.

2022 Bolt EUV, 72mo, $360. If I bought a new one today it would also be eligible for an additional $7500 federal tax credit, so foolish to buy used.

If the rates tank or I just feel like it I could cut a check the same day.
This scenario where you bought EV and got the rebate,it works out better than used for sure. Non EV, different story.

I had to look up this model, as I don't think I've seen one in person before on the roads. I definitely wouldn't want to be involved in a crash in this thing though. Financially it sounds like you got a great deal, but safety wise......I don't know....too small.

Old 05-11-2023, 06:16 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,778,418 times
Good call.

I actually did take a look at car prices recently, because had to make a decision on whether to fix the current car. Granted I was looking at like Camrys and Civics, you know the mainstream stuff and not something that's like 80k. Used prices there are garbage. Ended up getting it fixed.

One issue I have though is that since I live in a condo I am getting a little anxious about whether I could be forced into an EV if I wait too long to buy new. Talk about range anxiety.

Old 05-11-2023, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Good call.

I actually did take a look at car prices recently, because had to make a decision on whether to fix the current car. Granted I was looking at like Camrys and Civics, you know the mainstream stuff and not something that's like 80k. Used prices there are garbage. Ended up getting it fixed.

One issue I have though is that since I live in a condo I am getting a little anxious about whether I could be forced into an EV if I wait too long to buy new. Talk about range anxiety.
Why do you think you'll be forced into an EV since you're in a condo? Condo associations have a lot of rules but I don't think they can go so far as dictate what type of cars people park on the premises, can they?!

Old 05-11-2023, 06:40 PM

15,794 posts, read 20,487,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
Why do you think you'll be forced into an EV since you're in a condo? Condo associations have a lot of rules but I don't think they can go so far as dictate what type of cars people park on the premises, can they?!

They can really do whatever they want as they set the rules up. So it really all depends on what the community wants. Some restrict trucks, especially concerning commercial vehicles. This can apply to pickup trucks/suvs that are plated as commercial as well. Can even disallow guests who arrive in such vehicles.

For example

https://www.hoatalk.com/Forum/tabid/...c/Default.aspx

The problem with regulating that folks buy an EV is that they have yet to set up the infrastructure to support 100-200 cars needing to charge. Right now, in MA, i see office parks with maybe 10 stations, and they are all usually full through the day, but the lot is full of more EV's that can't (or don't want) to charge. I haven't really seen MASS incorporation of charging stations for commercial properties or residential neighborhoods. Usually it's just one or two. My own office building does not have any spots and claim it's too expensive to put in place (due to our parking lot layout and how we'd have to route the power) and there's no ROI on it. Short of gov't grants, there's no motivation to spend that sort of $$

It's been a couple years since the 2035 mandate (only new EV's being sold) but i haven't really seen much in the way of widespread infrastructure being developed. Sure, I've seen affluent folks buy EV's and set up chargers in their garages (my electrician friends say this makes up a good chunk of their work these days), but I don't see this widespread in apartments and condos beyond maybe 2-3 spots. Also, what do you do about on-street, congested neighborhoods like the North End, or BackBay? How are those folks charging now, and what will happen when 50-75% of the vehicles in this area are EV and need to charge?

Im not opposed to EV's at all, but I don't see myself getting one anytime soon. I've been in the market for a new car for at least a year, but current conditions have caused me to wait and see. (and keep squirreling money away in an account for a car)

Last edited by BostonMike7; 05-11-2023 at 06:52 PM..

Old 05-11-2023, 06:55 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,778,418 times
Yeah I was talking about the State and not the association. Car won't last to 2035 (lol) but I could see less teethy measures put in place to make it harder to buy a gas car.

Old 05-11-2023, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
They can really do whatever they want as they set the rules up. So it really all depends on what the community wants. Some restrict trucks, especially concerning commercial vehicles. This can apply to pickup trucks/suvs that are plated as commercial as well. Can even disallow guests who arrive in such vehicles.

For example

https://www.hoatalk.com/Forum/tabid/...c/Default.aspx

The problem with regulating that folks buy an EV is that they have yet to set up the infrastructure to support 100-200 cars needing to charge. Right now, in MA, i see office parks with maybe 10 stations, and they are all usually full through the day, but the lot is full of more EV's that can't (or don't want) to charge. I haven't really seen MASS incorporation of charging stations for commercial properties or residential neighborhoods. Usually it's just one or two. My own office building does not have any spots and claim it's too expensive to put in place (due to our parking lot layout and how we'd have to route the power) and there's no ROI on it. Short of gov't grants, there's no motivation to spend that sort of $$

It's been a couple years since the 2035 mandate (only new EV's being sold) but i haven't really seen much in the way of widespread infrastructure being developed. Sure, I've seen affluent folks buy EV's and set up chargers in their garages (my electrician friends say this makes up a good chunk of their work these days), but I don't see this widespread in apartments and condos beyond maybe 2-3 spots. Also, what do you do about on-street, congested neighborhoods like the North End, or BackBay? How are those folks charging now, and what will happen when 50-75% of the vehicles in this area are EV and need to charge?

Im not opposed to EV's at all, but I don't see myself getting one anytime soon. I've been in the market for a new car for at least a year, but current conditions have caused me to wait and see. (and keep squirreling money away in an account for a car)
Wow, I didn't realize associations had that much authority....seems like they can make people's lives pretty miserable if they really want to. What happens if a business owner has one vehicle and it has commercial plates, buys a condo then a year later the association amends the rules & regs to ban parking of commercial vehicles? Do they get fined each day it's parked or they'd have to take the association to court to try to get the rule changed?

Old 05-11-2023, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Yeah I was talking about the State and not the association. Car won't last to 2035 (lol) but I could see less teethy measures put in place to make it harder to buy a gas car.
You never know, don't Camrys usually go for at least 300K miles? Someone else posted this week that they had a 1980s station wagon pass them on route 3....didn't say want brand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts