Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2023, 08:05 AM

3,079 posts, read 1,544,801 times

Advertisements

Healey said Ma is spending 43 million a month, for these migrants. wheres the equivalent for vets or disabled or elderly or the people who live here and have low paying jobs? state is getting worse and worse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2023, 08:08 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iced_Coffee View Post
Speaking Spanish is very clearly more helpful as a whole than Haitian Creole. The sheer number of people in this country that speak Spanish should make it rather apparent.
seems like people want to give these migrants credit wherever they can lol. First of all we don't know how well they are even speaking spanish. Second of all many people who speak spanish also speak English. I don't think speaking Spanish in Boston/MA is going to be that helpful for them. If any of them have a Phd in Genetics...well then that might help a bit.

Old 08-09-2023, 08:25 AM

851 posts, read 417,688 times
Quote:
My point isn't about whether people do or don't have a right to live here. But I think the fact that the state is frantically trying to find shelter/housing for people in need DOES help to underscore a broader issue we're facing here in MA and that's the lack of housing in general, but also more specifically lower-priced housing options. Call it a crisis or not, but I think the coming years will be interesting.

I don't know the details surrounding all of the migrants arriving here, but are they all specifically choosing to come here or are some of them simply being sent here? I can't imagine most of them are thinking "Screw it, I know Boston has nowhere for me to live but I'm going there anyway." But hey, maybe I'm wrong about that.
Do you know of anybody selling their house below market value to help with affordability? And cheaper houses are being built by the many, many thousands in other parts of the country. Nobody has an inherent right to home ownership in an expensive metro.

Old 08-09-2023, 08:30 AM

360 posts, read 140,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
seems like people want to give these migrants credit wherever they can lol. First of all we don't know how well they are even speaking spanish. Second of all many people who speak spanish also speak English. I don't think speaking Spanish in Boston/MA is going to be that helpful for them. If any of them have a Phd in Genetics...well then that might help a bit.
You can move the goalposts all you want, but you literally said "Why does speaking Spanish help even more?"

I answered your question. Although it really shouldn't have to be answered because everybody and their mother knows that Spanish is more helpful due to the sheer number of people that speak it vs Haitian Creole. And I assume you don't spend much time in Boston if you are actually asking how it could be helpful to know Spanish here.

Old 08-09-2023, 08:33 AM

Default re

Quote:
You can move the goalposts all you want, but you literally said "Why does speaking Spanish help even more?"

I answered your question. Although it really shouldn't have to be answered because everybody and their mother knows that Spanish is more helpful due to the sheer number of people that speak it vs Haitian Creole. And I assume you don't spend much time in Boston if you are actually asking how it could be helpful to know Spanish here.
I work in Boston. No one in the office converses in Spanish when we're together or on calls.

I again could care less if any of these migrants speak Spanish. Boston is not the right place to keep bringing them.

Old 08-09-2023, 08:52 AM

360 posts, read 140,660 times
Quote:
I work in Boston. No one in the office converses in Spanish when we're together or on calls.
So, because you work in an office where people speak English, you think that's just how it is everywhere and nobody in the city speaks Spanish? That's insanely self-centered.

At this point I have to assume you're not arguing in good faith because there's no way you spend any amount of time in the city and still don't understand how being multi-lingual (especially one of the most popular languages on earth) could be helpful. I go into the city very infrequently these days but even then it's patently obvious that there's a sizable Spanish-speaking population. Try hiring workers to do a big job at your house and see what language they speak. Or work for a company that does international business. Or work in healthcare. Or go into a convenience store. Chances are, someone is going to be speaking Spanish.

Old 08-09-2023, 08:55 AM

Default re

Quote:
So, because you work in an office where people speak English, you think that's just how it is everywhere and nobody in the city speaks Spanish? That's insanely self-centered.

At this point I have to assume you're not arguing in good faith because there's no way you spend any amount of time in the city and still don't understand how being multi-lingual (especially one of the most popular languages on earth) could be helpful. I go into the city very infrequently these days but even then it's patently obvious that there's a sizable Spanish-speaking population. Try hiring workers to do a big job at your house and see what language they speak. Or work for a company that does international business. Or work in healthcare. Or go into a convenience store. Chances are, someone is going to be speaking Spanish.
Nope that's not what I said. My point is that for many jobs speaking Spanish isn't necessary but many people have this idea in their head that knowing Spanish is a must.

At this point I"m not sure what you're even arguing? My point here has been that there isn't enough room in Boston to keep taking in all these migrants and I'm tired of it. I don't care what language they speak. I've had workers at my house that speak English and are from here originally. Maybe of the workers at convenience stores I frequent are from India.

Thanks for the argument on this.

The Governor needs to immediately suspend this "right to shelter" law.

Old 08-09-2023, 08:58 AM

17,738 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
I think these people will just not have an easy life here.
These people are coming from places where women get raped when walking down the street and/or are abducted and get human trafficked. Extremely violent gangs are everywhere, and murders are commonplace.

They may not have an easy life here by our standards, but it's paradise to them compared to what they're accustomed to.

Quote:
I can't imagine most of them are thinking "Screw it, I know Boston has nowhere for me to live but I'm going there anyway." But hey, maybe I'm wrong about that.
I think you are wrong. Being in the US...ANYWHERE in the US...is a dream come true for them.

Old 08-09-2023, 09:08 AM

959 posts, read 538,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Because that leaves a high level of suspicion that they've spent more time in than just "passing through" the D.R. or Mexico or wherever. If that's the case, it makes their "fear" claim kind of murky.
Exactly! Many spent years in other countries safely before arriving to US.

Old 08-09-2023, 09:33 AM

terrible how we're treating homeless people already here and what we're doing to assist migrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts