Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2024, 12:55 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
there is no enforcement. I see drivers every day trying to kill people. people double, triple parked. Blocking a whole lane of traffic (just running in for a sec) nobody cares. everyone is out for themselves. Society is falling apart before our own eyes.
^This...ZERO enforcement.

Just made my way back from Cambridge through the 2 Alewife Brook rotaries. Near misses at each one. Par for the course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2024, 01:26 PM

3,584 posts, read 1,816,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post

Just made my way back from Cambridge through the 2 Alewife Brook rotaries. Near misses at each one. Par for the course.
Did you use your horn?

Old 02-29-2024, 02:06 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
Did you use your horn?
It wasn't me in the near misses (thank God), it was cars in front of me...and yes, they did honk. In another case, a (clearly clueless) driver in the rotary just came to a stop to yield to entering traffic, and got honked at also.

Old 02-29-2024, 02:58 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,654,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I agree. It seems enforcement has been rather lax. Prioroties elsewhere I guess.

But seems folks just only care about themselves more and more these days, and that's reflected elsewhere as well other than driving behaviors.
That's true. The level of public disrespect and selfishness in this area has gotten ridiculous. Rude and crude is the norm.

Old 02-29-2024, 05:38 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
That's true. The level of public disrespect and selfishness in this area has gotten ridiculous. Rude and crude is the norm.

I blame social media. It essentially normalized this sort of behavior without consequenc since one can hide behind online anonymity. Calling someone out for it deems one a “snowflake” now, which pretty much validates the belief that folks can do/say whatever they want and people need to “toughen up”. I’d venture to guess lots of folks still feel “untouchable” in their 4000+lb SUVs as they flip a bird and scurry off from whatever incident they likely caused.

I’ve always said folks driving style is a reflection of their personality. I’ve found this to be more common that one would imagine. The biggest road ragers/selfish drivers I personally know also have the most self-centered personalities. “Snowflake” is a regular word for them.

Old 02-29-2024, 05:42 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,654,205 times
Quote:
I blame social media. It essentially normalized this sort of behavior without consequenc since one can hide behind online anonymity. Calling someone out for it deems one a “snowflake” now, which pretty much validates the belief that folks can do/say whatever they want and people need to “toughen up”.

I’ve always said folks driving style is a reflection of their personality.
I think it also has to do with the nature of the entitlement class, and the utter lack of humility in many people in this area.

Old 02-29-2024, 05:44 PM

23,554 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
I blame social media. It essentially normalized this sort of behavior without consequenc since one can hide behind online anonymity. Calling someone out for it deems one a “snowflake” now, which pretty much validates the belief that folks can do/say whatever they want and people need to “toughen up”.

I’ve always said folks driving style is a reflection of their personality.

More like it's the snowflakes involved in this kind of behavior. The kind of losers who were never told "no" growing up, and will completely lose it when others put them in their place.

Old 02-29-2024, 06:39 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,401,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post

CPD has decided to reduce (almost completely eliminate) traffic enforcement as they do not feel they can manage it in such a way as not to be accused of bias. I assume this is what is going on with many local PDs. The only tickets given out are by staties, but they seem most interested in revenue generating high volume speed traps such as those around the Ted Williams tunnel.

It’s absurd we have state police barracks dedicated to. solely to issuing traffic tickets, yet they do little to curb the aggressive driving we see on a daily basis. Another way people came out of Covid broken.

Old 02-29-2024, 06:46 PM

3,584 posts, read 1,816,957 times
Quote:
I blame social media. It essentially normalized this sort of behavior without consequenc since one can hide behind online anonymity. Calling someone out for it deems one a “snowflake” now, which pretty much validates the belief that folks can do/say whatever they want and people need to “toughen up”. I’d venture to guess lots of folks still feel “untouchable” in their 4000+lb SUVs as they flip a bird and scurry off from whatever incident they likely caused.

I’ve always said folks driving style is a reflection of their personality. I’ve found this to be more common that one would imagine. The biggest road ragers/selfish drivers I personally know also have the most self-centered personalities. “Snowflake” is a regular word for them.
Today I had an unexpected "Snowflake" road rage near me. This happens a lot in areas where there are two lanes that eventually merge to one. In this case the right lane is for folks turning into a CVS plaza and the left is for those continuing straight on the main drag. I was in the left, and a person in the right who I assumed was going to be turning in the plaza keeps driving and is now parallel to me to to the point of almost sideswiping me and they would not let of the gas before it completely went down to one lane. I honked at them and then noticed they had an "organic farming" bumper sticker and some other earthy stickers on their SUV! Aren't these salt of the earth people supposed to be kind hippie folk or are they actually the worst of all the snowflakes?!

Old 03-01-2024, 07:35 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
I had a funny incident last night on my ride home that I didn't even think of until now. Witnessed the most entitled driver i've ever seen.

Commuting home on I-95 through Wakefield. 5PM. It's stop and go traffic. I'm in the right lane because I'm getting off in Lynnfield. BMW M7 X50I. I noticed it at first because it's a sharp looking vehicle. Well, lady driving it must have decided she didn't want to be behind me. Got into breakdown lane, pulled around me and put on her blinker and pushed on in front of me. No idea why. It's traffic and I'm creeping right on the bumper of the car behind me. But she decided she wanted to be in front of me. I just let her in and kept sipping my coffee.

We get off at the same exit and now we are driving through Lynnfield. SHe proceeds to ride the bumper of the car in front of her. When said car puts on right blinker to pull into driveway, she crosses the double yellow to pass them before they can even turn. Repeats this 2-3 more times. We come to a crosswalk with folks getting ready to cross. She cruises through it and I stop. I catch up again just driving normally. Traffic is dense enough she can't actually go any faster despite her aggressive driving. We get a 4-way stop, she rides the tail of the car in front of her while the car that was supposed to go lays on the horn. I'm just shaking my head at this point.

I catch up again and we are stuck behind a car doing 35 in a 35. I can just see the hand gestures and frustration through the back glass that they can't go faster. We are stuck like this for about 1 mile.

Get to a turn we both take and she guns it. 35MPH road and she must have hit 50+ easily. I cruise up the road normally. 1/2 mile later I see her pulling into the driveway. She's casually getting out of the car. Didn't look like she was in a rush at this point.

All that rush and we got there 20 seconds apart. Just had to laugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts