Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 10:27 AM

30 posts, read 73,376 times

Advertisements

A major part of our research on deciding if Maui or the Big Island will be the best for our move is reading posts like this. We are planning on renting, and as much as we hate to move we are prepared to change Islands if the vibe isn't what we want.
Having said that, I honestly doubt that won't be able to change islands unless the available rentals dry up.
We lived in Mexico for many years and found that we actually fit in better with the locals than others in a higher economic position. Although we were accepted openly, we also knew that our skin color would never allow us to be fully accepted. We were the non-locals, and accepted the fact that we would never be able to please everyone!

Respecting local traditions was key. Being the only non-white couple at many events and celebrations was weird at 1st, but soon became an honor.

We are ones to make a move and stay. Mexico became way too crooked and violent even for many locals. The drug and alcohol abuse was getting out of control. Friends tell us ICE on the Islands are causing many to reconsider paradise. This has made deciding where to go and rent a chore. Some attempt to say that all the Islands are over run with Ice, yet others say the opposite. Having access to LEO data doesn't give us "actual" actionable information. Sure would be great to have our members click areas that they feel & know are bad would help many.

Fitting in is only a small part of acceptance or cultural differences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 03:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,366 times
I have just returned to California from a trip to Maui, and have found it to be the most unwelcoming of the islands. I definitely felt like we were not "wanted" there, as opposed to Oahu, where the spirit of "aloha" was everywhere. This was my first trip to Maui, and I will not be back. I've felt more welcome in Texas and Georgia, which, for an African-American, is saying a lot! I felt as though I was at an exclusive party that I was accidentally invited to. I didn't see very many business that were owned or ran by "native" locals, which was disheartening for a myriad of reasons. Couldn't beat the views though, but not enough to make me go back.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:20 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveHawaii2much View Post
I have just returned to California from a trip to Maui, and have found it to be the most unwelcoming of the islands. I definitely felt like we were not "wanted" there, as opposed to Oahu, where the spirit of "aloha" was everywhere. This was my first trip to Maui, and I will not be back. I've felt more welcome in Texas and Georgia, which, for an African-American, is saying a lot! I felt as though I was at an exclusive party that I was accidentally invited to.
That is about as vague as one can get.

Unwelcoming by who? The hotel? Call it out. Your tour activity people? Call them out. A restaurant? Who? As far as anywhere else what do expect as a tourist, a red carpet? Practically anyone else, yeah - they could probably care less you are there - they have their own lives to deal with.

Who are these unwelcoming scoundrels? You always have yelp as a recourse.

Who was so awful to you that you created an account and can't even name who was so "unwelcoming"

Old 06-07-2017, 07:39 PM

18,383 posts, read 19,012,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveHawaii2much View Post
I have just returned to California from a trip to Maui, and have found it to be the most unwelcoming of the islands. I definitely felt like we were not "wanted" there, as opposed to Oahu, where the spirit of "aloha" was everywhere. This was my first trip to Maui, and I will not be back. I've felt more welcome in Texas and Georgia, which, for an African-American, is saying a lot! I felt as though I was at an exclusive party that I was accidentally invited to. I didn't see very many business that were owned or ran by "native" locals, which was disheartening for a myriad of reasons. Couldn't beat the views though, but not enough to make me go back.

how long did you stay and where did you stay at? did you get out of the local areas?

Old 06-08-2017, 04:30 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,570,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
how long did you stay and where did you stay at? did you get out of the local areas?

Did you get out of the 'local' areas????????

Come on...................

Old 06-08-2017, 09:43 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,663,767 times
I've never felt unwelcome anywhere in Hawaii, but then again I'm not African American. I am a white haole, and I just had to get used to the fact that locals are going to be friendlier with other locals. But doesn't that happen anywhere?

I wonder if someone who goes to Oahu, and especially Waikiki, has most of their encounters with people in the service industry, who are trained to be friendlier to tourists.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:45 AM

18,383 posts, read 19,012,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Did you get out of the 'local' areas????????

Come on...................

that should of read tourist areas...been drinking too much with my buddy jung.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:13 PM

63 posts, read 100,313 times
we lived on maui 29 years and never ever had any problems with local people, as a matter of fact most of our friends are local. our 3 kids mostly grew up there and never had any problems. our daughter and # 2 son still live and work there and raising their children there i am not saying there are not locals that do not like haole's so dont get me wrong. no matter where you go there will always be some people that make trouble and on the other hand, no matter where you go if you are a a_ _
wipe you will always be an a _ _ wipe. folks.

just saying that maui is a beautiful place to live or vacation but not everyone is going to bend over to serve some people.
actually i find that some haole transplant actually think they have magically transformed into the true local.
visit with an open mind and don't be rude because that will back fire on you. just my 2 cents.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:33 PM

78 posts, read 138,985 times
Maui is a planetary focal point where East meets West under the observant eyes of its original inhabitants. Aloha also means "respect".

Old 06-20-2017, 01:31 PM

139 posts, read 180,546 times
In my very limited time here, and with my very limited insight to those I cross paths with, I can say that the older Caucasians and the tourists seem to be the least intuitive on their impact to those around them. I, obviously, haven't crossed paths with everyone, and I am generalizing.

However, I can't say that I have experienced racism.

I would tend to think that most Caucasians would be crushed if they experienced the truly institutionalized racism that exists for other races.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui