Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2013, 09:42 AM

107 posts, read 164,255 times

Advertisements

Thank you ~ Lol ~
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 12:53 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,459,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
I did not find any racism when visiting Hawaii.
I wouldn't expect you to. Most of the racism that does surface seems to involve three factors - youth, testosterone, and alcohol.

That's why the two hotspots that come to mind when I think of reports of overt racism in the islands are: outside rowdy bars, and on remote beaches that "locals" consider their turf.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:30 PM

80 posts, read 194,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I wouldn't expect you to. Most of the racism that does surface seems to involve three factors - youth, testosterone, and alcohol.

That's why the two hotspots that come to mind when I think of reports of overt racism in the islands are: outside rowdy bars, and on remote beaches that "locals" consider their turf.
Yea.... Jokes on them. When I go there they cant figure it out cause im half filipino

Old 12-20-2013, 10:29 AM

107 posts, read 164,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Tiger sharks seem to like ha'oles, well, at least partially.... and I guess they don't like Hawaiians, but don't mind their catch, judging by the recent incident off Little Beach. Makena beach closed due to aggressive shark | More Local News - KITV Home

Uuuurrrrpppp,,,, mele kaliki, scuze me, maka

Okeydokes bruddah, we can play dis two ways, either LEAVE da fish, or, DON'T leave at all

Hey thanks for the news article ~ Tiger sharks are fun to watch swimming, but I've never been up close and personal with one ~

Old 12-29-2013, 01:50 AM

2 posts, read 3,082 times
Im born and raised here, been upcountry for 37 years....Growing up here and having all local friends and a lot of mainland friends I seen it all. Some younger locals will just pick on haoles just because....

Anyhow, a lot of racism comes from people coming here and trying to change things to suit their personal retirement needs, bringing mainland disrespectful attitude and actions...

If your respectful and dont have a cocky attitude like a lot of the older tourists or retirement transplants theres no reason you should run into racial problems...

Reading the boards makes me scared with the amount of people moving here and tera forming the island..Theres more mainlanders here then locals thats for dam sure... People move here and complain there lies the ultimate problem....

Last edited by Burts; 12-29-2013 at 02:01 AM..

Old 12-29-2013, 10:43 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,459,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burts View Post
Reading the boards makes me scared with the amount of people moving here and tera forming the island..Theres more mainlanders here then locals thats for dam sure... People move here and complain there lies the ultimate problem....
Don't forget the other half of the equation... native-born Hawaiians moving to the mainland in droves for better education and better jobs and more affordable cost of living.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burts View Post
If your respectful and dont have a cocky attitude like a lot of the older tourists or retirement transplants theres no reason you should run into racial problems...
See I think its mixed in the mainland, it is easier to generalize the mainlander attitudes though as a stereotype. Although, it is human nature to find patterns and sterotype.

I have always loved mutual respect and everyone smiling to eachother nodding their head for some sort of acknowledgement toward another. That was one of the things that attracted me to this islands. I have always felt people there are more genuine. I also find it funny how prejudging people based off of their looks in Hawaii does not work at all.

The person who would be labeled a "freak" on the mainland, with tattoos all over, piercings, and fully grown out here. Is the same person who would smile and say hi as I pass by him over there.

I like to challenge the norm.
Ex. Happy valley and Waiehu are "dangerous", but I like driving down there because people there seem nice and the area reminds me of the phillipines.

Sometimes I wonder if thats why I want to move there because it is comfortable to me because of my Filipino family.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,128 times
I'm in love with Maui and I'm black. I've experienced no racism. I mean...how can people be racist against blacks when the reggae and black entertainment culture is so loved...listen to the main radio station here. The people of Hawaii are awesome and I LOVE THEM. They also love me. My wife is a local Hawaiian mix and I love her too! Mahalo (I admire you!) MAUI!

Old 12-30-2013, 08:47 AM

22 posts, read 39,940 times
I grew up in Hawaii. I'm white and I was bullied horrendously for it. The teachers didn't like me either. I didn't understand it when I was I was kid. Now that I'm grown and know the history, I can see where it comes from. That doesn't make it right. I did nothing to deserve it. However, I do understand it. It's very unfortunate.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teachase View Post
I grew up in Hawaii. I'm white and I was bullied horrendously for it. The teachers didn't like me either. I didn't understand it when I was I was kid. Now that I'm grown and know the history, I can see where it comes from. That doesn't make it right. I did nothing to deserve it. However, I do understand it. It's very unfortunate.
You would think that if you grew up in it you would be able to continue the "Aloha spirit" rather than destroying it.
kind of odd
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui