Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2011, 01:04 PM

491 posts, read 1,651,530 times

Advertisements

My college friend and her best friend just came back from Maui.
First, they haven't heard of any of the racial prejudice that whites (haole) receive from the non white locals until we talked yesterday based on what I've read so far on this forum, so that's the last thing on their mind is to look for any signs of a racial problem while on vacation. Physically, they could pass for locals, meaning they are brown skin and are the most polite and respectful people that I've met. Basically, they would fit right in as locals, in fact they were mistaken for locals on several occasion on the islands.

They've visited Hawaii for the past two years, last year Oahu and this year Maui.
Their experience:

Oahu
They loved it here. The first thing they said "the people are the most welcoming people they've met in the states" People are always smiling and always in a good mood. No matter where they went, people are more than happy to help, eg for directions etc.What they also notice is that they encountered more non white locals on this island compared to maui after the Maui trip. They would come back to Oahu in a heart beat, another reason why they visited Maui, thinking Maui would be the same.

Maui
Maui on the other hand, they were not well received by the locals. They went all over the island and they noticed that the locals that they eno****ered were mostly haoles where ever they visited unlike Oahu. They could not understand why Maui is so unwelcoming compared to Oahu. They felt as though the haoles resented them, specially when dining in the restaurants. Like I said before, the last thing on their mind is to think about racism, but it was becoming more evident that local haoles were very rude towards them and when dining at restaurants they were ignored on many occasions almost to the point of begging for service whlie other white customers received prompt and friendly service. Despite, the bad service, they still gave the waitress a 20% tip knowing that the waitress depends on tips specially on this expensive island.

Well, I told my friends, maybe it was just the waitress or restaurant that had bad service and they vehemently said no, every where they went on the island, the local haoles they encountered were rude towards them. So, my question is, is this treament towards non-whites, a sort of payback by the haoles towards non-whites? Is it really getting that bad? As the saying goes "Can't we all just get along".
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 02:08 PM

18,383 posts, read 19,012,572 times
been here a long time and I don't see anything like you described on the island of maui. can people be in a bad mood and be rude? sure. just because everyone they ran into on oahu had a smile on their face does that mean anything other than they ran into happy people? two sides to every story, some things are imagined and some are real. I can't take away from what they felt they experienced but I don't see it happening here to any great degree or more than elsewhere on island or in the mainland

Old 06-11-2011, 02:19 PM

209 posts, read 722,029 times
Some of the nicest people I've ever met was on Maui. Much aloha there in my opinion

Old 06-12-2011, 04:24 AM

19 posts, read 49,459 times
Yeah, I gotta agree with Kelly, it's the love on that isle that keeps me coming back! And you can't look more haole than I do, blond hair, blue eyes. Actually, sounds like your friends could be very attractive and this could be nothing more than a catty ***** thing, which seems to for some reason, be universal among a lot of young, pretty girls.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:58 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,407,819 times
Exclamation actually...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
been here a long time and I don't see anything like you described on the island of maui. can people be in a bad mood and be rude? sure. just because everyone they ran into on oahu had a smile on their face does that mean anything other than they ran into happy people? two sides to every story, some things are imagined and some are real. I can't take away from what they felt they experienced but I don't see it happening here to any great degree or more than elsewhere on island or in the mainland
I have heard comments from my 'local Hawaiiian' co-workers that they have, indeed, experienced what they felt was a bit of a 'racist' attitude from Service Workers in a few of the Resorts and establishments here on Maui. They chalked it up to the Service folks consider 'visiting Haoles' more apt to leave a larger tip than the locals. So...I would say, 'Yes', a bit of reversed racism does exist on Maui. However, as a 'local Haole', I am amazed at the rude and arrogant behaviour of our Visitors. Sometimes I allow them to get away w/it and sometimes I certainly do not. All-in-all, as much as I love Maui, I find the general attitude of its residence is one of disrespect. For some reason I get the feeling that the residents of Maui feel privileged.
Koale

Old 06-12-2011, 06:20 AM

69 posts, read 112,883 times
May God s peace and blessings be upon everyone here !

Hey dear friends !

Well I am not American and have never been at USA , so I dont know if I have right to answer !
But there is a couple words I wanna say :
Racism is the most horrible thing !
While love is the most wonderful thing in this life , why to link it with a particular race , color , culture or religion !
I believe that it takes all sorts of people to make a world and diversity is a blessing !
Just think how would life be if we were all the same ! I am sure living in such a world would be impossible , and if possible would be then horrible !
We share a lot in common , and I just cant see why some people insist on the dissimilarities !
Honestly I have been disappointed so much at many occasions , when my threads and comments got deleted without a reason ! just cant see why in such a liberal country as the USA where democracy and freedom of speech are sacred people are not allowed to express their opinions freely !
I was about to say that all Americans were narrow minded and cant accept others holding different beliefs , but thanks God I met some wonderful American friends whose names I can mention proudly !
They are Christians , and true Christains I would say because they are willing to love all people and to spread peace !

So I have learnt that one should never make generalizations , everywhere there are good and bad people and none is in the position to judge others !

Again I would like to appologise for the mistake I was about to make and for the misconceptions I had about you American folks .

Sorry for being nosy by dropping in here , though I am not American !

Best wishes and regards !

Old 06-12-2011, 09:17 AM

209 posts, read 722,029 times
Islam-Light:

You speak the truth. You are absolutely right on. If only everybody would feel the same as you, the world would be a much better place. I appreciate your post.

Aloha!
Kelly

Old 06-12-2011, 11:57 AM

69 posts, read 112,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly4Sun View Post
Islam-Light:

You speak the truth. You are absolutely right on. If only everybody would feel the same as you, the world would be a much better place. I appreciate your post.

Aloha!
Kelly

Oh I am very happy to read your supporting words ! they actually raised me up and gave me more strength !!!
Yeah I apprecaite so much your attitude also !
Now I am convinced more than before that there is still a chance to build a bett er world where we shall live together in peace despite all the differences because what we share in common is the GREATEST thing *HUMANITY *
From here I urge everyone to join hands and hearts !
We share the same bright sun , the same round moon , why dont we share the same love ?
After all there is only one small planet where to be and we are all neighbours !!
May God bless us with his love and mercy !
Long live peace makers !!!
Viva brotherhood ! viva viva viva !!!

Sabah

Old 06-12-2011, 04:50 PM

147 posts, read 541,704 times
I got back from Maui about 5 hours ago. I am from Austin, Tx and I can honestly say that Maui is probably the nicest place I have ever been to. The Locals were great and we had some take us offshore fishing. I have never been anywhere where people were so nice...The only place I really didnt spend a whole lot of time in was Hana...so I suppose there could be some racism there. Honestly though, I really didnt see anything like what you describe on Maui.

Oahu is basically one big city and there is so much diversity that I dont see racism being a big thing there.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:21 AM

246 posts, read 649,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappan Zee View Post

Maui
Maui on the other hand, they were not well received by the locals. They went all over the island and they noticed that the locals that they eno****ered were mostly haoles where ever they visited unlike Oahu. They could not understand why Maui is so unwelcoming compared to Oahu. They felt as though the haoles resented them, specially when dining in the restaurants. Like I said before, the last thing on their mind is to think about racism, but it was becoming more evident that local haoles were very rude towards them and when dining at restaurants they were ignored on many occasions almost to the point of begging for service whlie other white customers received prompt and friendly service. Despite, the bad service, they still gave the waitress a 20% tip knowing that the waitress depends on tips specially on this expensive island.
Its called NIMBY's.
Not In My Back Yard.
The haoles that finally found their paradise, now hate any other haole that come there AFTER they have arrived, thinking they are spoiling everything by driving up the prices of homes and adding to the traffic.

I remember when I had to fly to Maui for work many of times, in the late afternoon at the intersecion near COSTCO by the airport in Kahului and was in shock of the rediculous amount of traffic. Like appaling. Understandind that based on the urban infrastructure, that there are more people driving on island than the DOT can keep up with on improving traffic light system, road expansion, etc.

The silly thing is that they cannot frown down on any other polynesian or asian (local looking asian) because they were there first....So a sort of modern social racial class structure is created based on who was here first kind of sad twisted elemetary level ignorant kind of way...

The relocated haoles may hate to hear that, it may sting in their conscious, but the brutal truth is exactly what it is, no matter what excuse one would try to propose.

I am Okinawan. 4th generation born and raised on Oahu. We wern't here first by no means of any exaggeration, but we don't hate on those that came after us.

Last edited by lost_traveler1; 06-13-2011 at 12:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui