Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 06:23 PM

597 posts, read 1,444,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Did Pasha's jack up their rates too?
I called and left my info and they were supposed to call me back and they did not. I will try to call them tomorrow if I get home early enough.

From what Matson said, everyone has increased their rates. We should have all moved there before they increased their rates in June LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 11:08 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,476,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
ILoveLidoBeech,

You mentioned that cars ship for $1,100 each. Is that from Sarasota? I though the cost was about $1,100 from Long Beech, CA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLidoBeach View Post
Yes, the $1,100 is from Sarasota.
I think there's probably been some kind of miscommunication here. The published tariff to ship a car from California to Hawai'i is the same $1,100 on Pasha, Matson, and Horizon. Getting the car to California is not included.

Based on what has been posted here in the past I would expect that shipping from Sarasota, Florida, or anywhere on the East Coast for that matter, would add another $1,000 or more.

Edit: I just found one of the previous mentions... it cost a member here $1,900 to ship his car to Maui from Houston, via Pasha, and that was more than 2 1/2 years ago.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/maui/...l#post22151764

Last edited by OpenD; 06-20-2013 at 11:56 PM.. Reason: Corrected figures after fact checking.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:57 PM

Open D~ So are you saying my cars are going to cost an additional 2K to get to Maui? Wait....let me sit down before you answer that incase I pass out. LOL That would be putting my move at around 14K for 40 ft container and 2 cars. Matson didn't mention that additional fee.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Open D~ So are you saying my cars are going to cost an additional 2K to get to Maui? Wait....let me sit down before you answer that incase I pass out. LOL That would be putting my move at around 14K for 40 ft container and 2 cars. Matson didn't mention that additional fee.
Sorry, I think that was either an oversight or a misunderstanding. On May 1 another member posted this comment, in a general discussion about different options for shipping her car:

"I checked with Pasha directly...they can pick it up at my house in the Midwest and get it to Hilo for $2,500..." https://www.city-data.com/forum/29376419-post48.html

In other words, $1,100 for shipping her car from California to Hawai'i, and $1,400 to truck it from her home to California. And Pasha and Matson are generally quite competitive on prices.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:27 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,524,884 times
Quote:
Pardon me for saying this....

Why would you need to ship a 40 foot container full of STUFF to Maui? Get rid of it first. Buy new (or used) when you get there.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:12 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,281,714 times
Maybe it would be a lot cheaper to drive both cars to Long Beech, California. Or, maybe tow one car with a tow dolly if one car can tow the other car. I think it would take about 4 days.

I've driven from Minneapolis, MN to near Key West, FL and back several times. It is about 1,900 miles and it always took 3 days. Sarasota to Long Beech, CA is about 2,600 miles, so it would probably take 4 days. The lodging, food, gas, etc would probably cost far less than $2,000. Plus the airfare for both of you will be cheaper from LA to Hawaii. If you added the 'mileage' cost from wear and tear on the the cars, that might add up to something significant, but usually freeway and highway miles are very easy on cars. The insurance component of the miles could probably be ignored because that is a 'sunk cost' and you have to pay whether you drive or not. Although there is some 'risk' cost if you had an accident or injuries.

I think it mainly comes down to if you have 4 days to spend of your time to drive across the county. It might also depend on how you feel about driving across the county. I think it is good experience to do it once and awhile.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Sorry, I think that was either an oversight or a misunderstanding. On May 1 another member posted this comment, in a general discussion about different options for shipping her car:

"I checked with Pasha directly...they can pick it up at my house in the Midwest and get it to Hilo for $2,500..." https://www.city-data.com/forum/29376419-post48.html

In other words, $1,100 for shipping her car from California to Hawai'i, and $1,400 to truck it from her home to California. And Pasha and Matson are generally quite competitive on prices.
OK thanks. I was hoping it wasn't that much but I guess it will add another 2K to my moving tab. Ugh I think I need to down size

Old 06-24-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Pardon me for saying this....

Why would you need to ship a 40 foot container full of STUFF to Maui? Get rid of it first. Buy new (or used) when you get there.
I was only going to ship a 20 but then the lady said that 20 ft containers are not much less than a 40 ft and if I ship a 20 ft, it will have to sit around until another 20 ft container can be shipped with it to make the full 40 ft. So that was how it went from a 20 ft to a 40 ft.

I really am not sure what I am shipping but I just got all the prices so I could post it here for everyone who might be interested in the options.

With that said, if you look at the difference in the 20 ft and the 40 ft price, I can put a lot in that extra 20 ft and I bet I can't buy it cheaper than that.

It's not going to make a lot of sense to sell a Tommy Bahama cabinet that I paid $3,000 for and get $500 for it, (if I am lucky) and then turn around and buy a cabinet in Hawaii for more than the $500 I got for the TB one.

I have to really think this through.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:27 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,779,644 times
Same advice can be applied to shipping the family dog over to Maui. Just get rid of the old mutt and get a new dog on Maui, hopefully a rescue. I estimate we spent $1000 shipping our dog to Maui - first vet visit to get rabies titer ($100), titer test itself ($150), Hawaii Dept of Agriculture animal import license ($150), kennel ($130), vet to pick up the dog at Kahului ($300), 2nd vet inspection 14 days before flying with tick treatment ($100), airline baggage fee for the dog+kennel ($100). Plus hours of research to make sure we had done everything right, and then all the worry about the poor pooch down in cargo. Sheesh. I am sure we could of bought a nice stray pit bull or something for $30 and saved a lot of money.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:46 AM

Quote:
I was only going to ship a 20 but then the lady said that 20 ft containers are not much less than a 40 ft and if I ship a 20 ft, it will have to sit around until another 20 ft container can be shipped with it to make the full 40 ft. So that was how it went from a 20 ft to a 40 ft.
Good salespeople always know how to upsell.

Personally I wouldn't put a lot of faith in that "sit around" warning. I've never even heard of anyone saying that had been a problem, in their experience. And the total number of ISO containers of all sizes that criscrosses the country every day is phenomenal.

Quote:
With that said, if you look at the difference in the 20 ft and the 40 ft price, I can put a lot in that extra 20 ft and I bet I can't buy it cheaper than that.
But do you need all that stuff and can you actually use it? Spend some time reading the archives here and see how many people have commented that they brought too much.

Quote:
It's not going to make a lot of sense to sell a Tommy Bahama cabinet that I paid $3,000 for and get $500 for it, (if I am lucky) and then turn around and buy a cabinet in Hawaii for more than the $500 I got for the TB one.
Or maybe get one for $50 at a garage sale, from somebody who dragged theirs across the Pacific but is now heading back and doesn't want to schlep it another time. Or maybe they just found out that all that stuff they brought in a 40' container doesn't fit in their much smaller Hawaiian home so they need to get rid of it.

Quote:
I have to really think this through.
Yeah, I think what is missing is giving some thought to the other end of the move. What's essential to you? What's important? Where's it going to go? Figure that out and it will be a lot easier to decide on how to get it there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui