Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 02:56 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Same advice can be applied to shipping the family dog over to Maui. .... Sheesh. I am sure we could of bought a nice stray pit bull or something for $30 and saved a lot of money.
Sure you could. The animal shelters are overflowing with nice healthy pets you can adopt for very little money.

But need I say it? People are irrational about their pets. Totally irrational. You might as well tell them to adopt out their children and pick up new ones here.

Although to some parents, that might seem to be a reasonable suggestion. Hmmmm. "Sarah, get your stuff packed. We need to get going soon. Petie, sorry, but were warned. We said, keep your room cleaned up and stop talking back to your Mom or you won't be going to Hawai'i with us. Did you think we were kidding? Anyway, good luck at the Home."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 04:27 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
S.......... You might as well tell them to adopt out their children and pick up new ones here.
Excellent idea, In fact, sell the kids and adopt a new one that is already out of school and save yourself the cost of the private schools. I've known plenty of kids that I would be tempted to leave behind (not my own)

Unfortunately, many people do throw away the existing pet when they move, even when the move doesn't involve the cost of flying the pet or quarantine. It's a throw away society.

As for the container, it makes sense to me to get the 40 ft for nearly the same cost as the 20. It might be possible to share the container with someone else who is moving and that would bring the overall price down.

Or as long as you have room in the container, fill the extra space with fencing materials or the boards for a new redwood deck that would cost a lot more in Hawaii. The container does not have to be filled with furniture.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:21 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
ILoveLido, there are a couple of things needing clarification.

Firstly, take whatever you feel like taking. If you have irreplaceable furniture or other items, why sell them for pennies on the dollar and then try to replace them in Hawaii? That being said, you need to carefully consider the fact that most houses are smaller in Hawaii, so you need less furniture. Also some furniture may not do too well in the humidity of Hawaii (this was an issue for us moving from the low humidity of Colorado).

Secondly, we used a 20foot container, which was sufficient for our three-bedroom house. It's been three years, but it seems to me that a 40 foot container cost much more than the 20 foot. And Matson never said anything about having to wait for another 20 foot container, but that may be the difference in shipping from Colorado rather than Florida.

Thirdly, didn't you say something about shipping your car in the container? Maybe that's the difference in the cost estimates that you are getting? We drove our car to Long Beach because we were going to the west coast anyway so it was not an extra trip for us.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:37 PM

597 posts, read 1,442,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
ILoveLido, there are a couple of things needing clarification.

Firstly, take whatever you feel like taking. If you have irreplaceable furniture or other items, why sell them for pennies on the dollar and then try to replace them in Hawaii? That being said, you need to carefully consider the fact that most houses are smaller in Hawaii, so you need less furniture. Also some furniture may not do too well in the humidity of Hawaii (this was an issue for us moving from the low humidity of Colorado).

Secondly, we used a 20foot container, which was sufficient for our three-bedroom house. It's been three years, but it seems to me that a 40 foot container cost much more than the 20 foot. And Matson never said anything about having to wait for another 20 foot container, but that may be the difference in shipping from Colorado rather than Florida.

Thirdly, didn't you say something about shipping your car in the container? Maybe that's the difference in the cost estimates that you are getting? We drove our car to Long Beach because we were going to the west coast anyway so it was not an extra trip for us.

Well,the lady mentioned I could ship my car in the container but to me it seemed like wasted unless I had a classic car and I don't. But, with that said, if I ship 2 cars, they would only charge for 1 if I shipped them both inside the container. I would have to get a 45 foot one. But that would give me hardly any room for my "treasures". LOL

We have a 4,000 (almost) sq ft home so we would sell everything and only take a few great pieces and things we just can't replace.

It's a hard call but I do know I am not spending 14K to ship a bunch of things there and end up with a tiny house and have to sell my "treasures" for pennies on the dollar that I couldn't live without. LOL

Old 06-25-2013, 11:02 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,764,363 times
We had a 2400 sq ft house and moved into a 1000 sq footer in Maui. That was hard but it was actually a good opportunity to cull through what we had and just keep the best. It has been a little bit of an adjustment shoe-horning ourselves into a much smaller house but people who say that you need less space in Maui are right - it has been a pretty easy transition. Of course it is just my wife and I. Well, and the $1000-to-ship family pooch. At any rate, we gave away or sold for peanuts stuff we had paid thousands for. But I don't miss any of it.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:26 PM

182 posts, read 356,426 times
Does anyone have any experience/advice/insights about using U-Ship ReloCubes? Apparently they're a lower cost alternative to PODS, and receive good reviews. Those mainly seem to be for cross-country moves though versus over to Hawai'i. Like PODS, there is no door-to-door service to islands other than the BI and Oahu; you have to come to the terminal and unload the container yourself.

ReloCube quoted me $3709 to move from our home here in Portland to the terminal in Lihue. I haven't gotten a quote from PODS though to compare. Portland is one of Matson's departure ports, so our car will go from here, but not sure if we can (or want to) fill a 20' container.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:43 PM

480 posts, read 622,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChezAloha View Post
Does anyone have any experience/advice/insights about using U-Ship ReloCubes? Apparently they're a lower cost alternative to PODS, and receive good reviews. Those mainly seem to be for cross-country moves though versus over to Hawai'i. Like PODS, there is no door-to-door service to islands other than the BI and Oahu; you have to come to the terminal and unload the container yourself.

ReloCube quoted me $3709 to move from our home here in Portland to the terminal in Lihue. I haven't gotten a quote from PODS though to compare. Portland is one of Matson's departure ports, so our car will go from here, but not sure if we can (or want to) fill a 20' container.
For that price, I'd be looking at getting the 20ft container and maybe find someone to go in on it with you? Or pallet my items and ship them that way? Or sell everything and start fresh on the Island!

Old 06-28-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChezAloha View Post
Does anyone have any experience/advice/insights about using U-Ship ReloCubes? Apparently they're a lower cost alternative to PODS, and receive good reviews.
They've been around forever, seems to be the oldest of the less-than-a-container shippers, and seems to have some kind of government contract because they are used a lot by military personnel. I've never heard anyone describe them in any more glowing terms than "OK."

PODS is much newer, is basically a consortium of US trucking companies, and the link to ship to Hawai'i is fairly new. Physically, PODS are much nicer.

U-Haul's new U-Box Pods are very similar. I think it would be worthwhile to get a quote from them if you are leaning that way.

Keep in mind that the largest of the various PODS is about half the size of a 20' ISO Shipping Container, and costs about the same to ship, so the price per cubic foot is about double. People select PODS for convenience, not price.

Last edited by OpenD; 06-28-2013 at 07:39 PM..

Old 06-28-2013, 08:35 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,764,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Keep in mind that the largest of the various PODS is about half the size of a 20' ISO Shipping Container, and costs about the same to ship, so the price per cubic foot is about double. People select PODS for convenience, not price.
I agree that PODS is more about convenience than cost savings, but just for the sake of accuracy here, the 20' Matson container approved for Hawaii is about 1088 cubic feet. The largest PODS container volume is 1024 cubic feet. So PODS is about 94% of the volume, not half.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I agree that PODS is more about convenience than cost savings, but just for the sake of accuracy here, the 20' Matson container approved for Hawaii is about 1088 cubic feet. The largest PODS container volume is 1024 cubic feet. So PODS is about 94% of the volume, not half.
I stand corrected. PODS has added a 16' container since the last time I checked quotes myself, which was admittedly some time ago. I was thinking of the 7' one, which at the time cost about the same as a 20' ISO container.

BTW, the ISO standard volume for a 20' is 1,169 cu ft, so that's 87.5% for the POD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui